Pietta 1860 Hammers

Started by Knucky McPolack, December 29, 2015, 09:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knucky McPolack

I am new to this forum and cap and ball revolvers.  Santa delivered me a couple of Pietta 1860's for Christmas so I can join my pardners shooting the plainsmen side matches at our matches.  God bless him (her).   ;D  Does anyone make lowered hammers for these guns.  Same question goes for 1858's.  I read through several years of posts on this forum and couldn't find one on this topic.  Thanks

Slowhand Bob

I can not help you other than saying that these were done at one time.  There was a cowboy advertising in the Chronical that he would lower hammer spurs and the price was very reasonable ($25 per, best of memory).  He done a pair for me and they looked excellent.  That has been at least several years back but perhaps it will provide a starting point.

Lefty Dude

Yep;

Ol' number 4 in Oregon does em.

Pettifogger

Quote from: BlackHammer on December 29, 2015, 09:25:26 AM
I am new to this forum and cap and ball revolvers.  Santa delivered me a couple of Pietta 1860's for Christmas so I can join my pardners shooting the plainsmen side matches at our matches.  God bless him (her).   ;D  Does anyone make lowered hammers for these guns.  Same question goes for 1858's.  I read through several years of posts on this forum and couldn't find one on this topic.  Thanks

If you mean drop-in replacement hammers the answer is No.  There are several people that will heat and bend or modify the spur on the existing hammer.

Blair

Good question by the OP.
Good replies to this question.
But, I feel inclined to ask, Why the OP feels the need to relocate the position of the Hammer spur?
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Bunk Stagnerg

Since the nose of the hammer is the rear sight would bending the hammer spur interfere with that?
It should make for a really streamline looking revolver.
Bunk

Coffinmaker

As long as the hammer proper is held in a jig and ONLY the spur is re-profiled, the sight radius and sight picture should remain the same.

Blair ---- I'm not the OP, but folks who came to my shop for that type of alteration usually had trouble reaching the tall spur.  Couple of my customers had a real problem with arthritis.

Coffinmaker

Knucky McPolack

Thanks Darksider's for the replies.  I have trouble reaching the hammer unless I change my grip which changes my trigger finger placement and point of aim.  Messes me all up.
Black Hammer

Coffinmaker

A while back, just for grins and giggles, I was going to cut the Wide Spurs off a couple of low hammers and graft (weld) em onto a pair of  Pietta 1860 Hammers.  Was going to.  Then, I priced a pair of those  highly sought after wide spur hammers.  Nope, not gonna cut those up.  Wee bit pricy they are.

Was also toying with the idea of just cutting a chunk of flat mild steel, have it welded on, then file it to shape.  Nope.   Not gonna do that either.  Lots of work and for me (my only customer now) no positive outcome as I really like the stock Pietta 1860/1861/1851/1862 hammers. 

Coffinmaker

Noz

Clamp the hammer in a vise with only the hammer spur exposed. Heat spur, with small boxend wrench grab the spur and turn it down 1/4" of so. Helps for arthritic hands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com