Magtech hulls are driving me to plastic!!

Started by paledun, December 28, 2015, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paledun

I have almost given up.  I have talked to everyone.  I have read all the posts, comments and suggestions and my Magtech hulls still stick in my chambers and refuse to eject.  My 12's stick.  My 16's stick.  My 20's stick.  And, all my plastic hull just jump right out.  Now one should believe that the thinking person would just turn to plastic and leave the Magtechs to someone else.  Maybe one more try to find the secret to success.  I have polished my chambers and sized each hull after firing both base and mouth.  Pressures have been reduced to reasonable levels with 60 grains of 1F under and oz of shot for my 12's.  I clean chambers between stages and on occasion have asked for heavenly intervention.  What else can I possibly do?  I'm not fast enough that it really counts but on occasion, I would just like the brass to shuck.  Guys, tell me you secret to success. Maybe just change the 97's and put the SXS's in the closet?  Paladin aka Sagerider

Pettifogger

Noz

I've gone as low as 35 grs of FFg under 1 oz of 7.5s.  Easier on you, easier on the gun, easier on the hulls and you'll still have someone ask "Cain't you get anymore powder in them shells?".

As far as I'm concerned the heavy loads of black are for the smoke and noise, not for knocking down targets.

Coffinmaker

I have and regularly shoot four different 12Ga Hammer Doubles.  Ranging from a 120 year old Sauer, to a high end Pedersoli.  They ALL spit Brass hulls like wet grain through a Goose.  I load and shoot APP.

1f is somewhat ....... dirty.  Produces great flames, sparks (unburned stuff), smoke and Boom.  It will also spooge up the chamber walls and the case walls immediately upon firing.  Hulls stick.

Long wordy way of agreeing with Pettifogger.  Skip the 1f and go to 2f, perhaps even 3f.  Hopefully in your polishing zeal, you haven't messed up the chambers.  Let us cross our collective fingers  ::)

Coffinmaker

PS:  In this game (my opine now), big heavy loads are for masochists.  All we need to do is make a plate go ding or tip over a popper.  I don't know what my load really is.  But it are light.  Brass 12Ga hulls don't really obturate. 

Abilene

Need to figure out if the sticking is from fouling or from the brass hulls deforming.  I don't shoot magtechs but a lot of my old brass hulls are Winchester or Rem-UMC which are similar.  Some of those want to go out of round when fired, and they stick.  Most do not stick, using 55-60 gr of 1f, 2f or 3f, and I never resize unless they go out of round.  Before reloading, I will drop each empty into the chambers, and if they fall back out (most do), they don't get resized.  Since 1F produces less pressure, it may not be sealing the chamber and getting fouling on the outside of the hulls.  Of course, you need to have a good seal inside the hull as well to build the pressure, that being a tight fitting over powder card, whether you use plastic or fiber wads.  Anyways, if your cleaned fired hulls will slide in and out of the chambers, then I would not resize them.  If they do stick, then they could probably use annealing.

Mean Bob Mean

My load is simple, effective, and they come out easily enough.  I load about 70 grains of 2F Goex, 1 oz shot.  I use an over powder 11 gauge shot card, I compress the load, a lubed wad and just an overshot card with a touch of cement.  So far no issues but I have not shot many of them.  I don't have a die to resize, just a little kit from Rocky Mountain cartridge. 

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC%20Shot%20Shell%20Load%20Kit%20Inst.pdf

Time consuming but something about loading them that way makes me happy.  I lubed my wads with Ballistol at first, now making my own BP lube with Crisco, Beeswax and lanolin and will see how that works.  Mine had good boom, good results on target, and acceptable recoil and came out with little effort (no shell falls outta my gun, not paper, not plastic, not brass). 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Noz

Quote from: Mean Bob Mean on December 28, 2015, 12:41:40 PM
My load is simple, effective, and they come out easily enough.  I load about 70 grains of 2F Goex, 1 oz shot.  I use an over powder 11 gauge shot card, I compress the load, a lubed wad and just an overshot card with a touch of cement.  So far no issues but I have not shot many of them.  I don't have a die to resize, just a little kit from Rocky Mountain cartridge.  

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC%20Shot%20Shell%20Load%20Kit%20Inst.pdf

Time consuming but something about loading them that way makes me happy.  I lubed my wads with Ballistol at first, now making my own BP lube with Crisco, Beeswax and lanolin and will see how that works.  Mine had good boom, good results on target, and acceptable recoil and came out with little effort (no shell falls outta my gun, not paper, not plastic, not brass).  

I found that using the "Kit" described above, you had better lock the cat somewhere and hope the wife is feeling steady. The only primers I have ever popped was loading them this way. For some reason that primer firing right under your nose tends to elevate blood pressure rapidly.  They make shell holders that fit shotgun shells and the primers can be installed safely and quietly on a single stage press.

Coffinmaker

I use my "Bench Top" drill press as my reloader for all brass shotgun hulls.

Coffinmaker

FriscoCounty

Quote from: Mean Bob Mean on December 28, 2015, 12:41:40 PM
My load is simple, effective, and they come out easily enough.  I load about 70 grains of 2F Goex, 1 oz shot.  I use an over powder 11 gauge shot card, I compress the load, a lubed wad and just an overshot card with a touch of cement.  So far no issues but I have not shot many of them.  I don't have a die to resize, just a little kit from Rocky Mountain cartridge. 

Time consuming but something about loading them that way makes me happy.  I lubed my wads with Ballistol at first, now making my own BP lube with Crisco, Beeswax and lanolin and will see how that works.  Mine had good boom, good results on target, and acceptable recoil and came out with little effort (no shell falls outta my gun, not paper, not plastic, not brass). 

Ooh  :o  Masochism  ;D 
I use the RCBS cowboy brass shotshell die.  Works well.  Requires a press that supports 1-1/4"-12 dies, but other than that they work well. 
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Lefty Dude

Come over and get the plastic 16's I have for ya.  I told you my load but you insist on loading Large !

Lefty Dude

I stopped the whining for now. He is coming to my place for some once fired 16 hulls, and a pound of 3F Goex.

I refused payment.  That way if the 3F goex and my load does not work I can not be blamed. And if there is success, well then I can tease for the rest of our Friendship, how ever long it lasts. ;) ;D

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com