660 grains lead, 200 grains powder. 10 Bore.

Started by Drydock, October 25, 2015, 07:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drydock

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Coffinmaker

Holy Guacamole Hombre!!  Wouldn't like to shoot it a lot.  But sure would like to shoot it some  ;D  Knock over a Buick wid dat :o

Coffinmaker

dusty texian

Even if you miss em, you stand a chance of catching them on fire with that thing!!! DT

Thumb Buster

"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Thumb Buster on October 26, 2015, 06:01:48 PM
:o Uh...okay.  Nice ignition...  Wow!  :o

Where do I sign up to shoot it??? Now I want one.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Coffinmaker

Datz da onliest Flint Lock I've ever seen that I wanted.  ARTILLERY!!  It's a HOWITZER!!  I wanna be the first kid on my block to have
one.  I'd give up my Dick Tracy Wrist Radio and my Decoder Ring for one.  But, like I said, I wouldn't want to shoot it a lot.  But it
sure would be fun to shoot it some.  Oh Boy.

Could just see setting that sucker off on one of our covered bays.  kaaaaBOOM!!  The whole county would duck.

HEY!!  FINGERS!!  Waddia think??  Sho up wid dat for FRONTIERSMAN  ;D

Coffinmaker

Dick Dastardly

Now you know why white hunters of yore employed gun bearers.  That's one hefty piece of iron.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Coffinmaker

I followed an article which included a film of the first firings of a fella who built a "4" bore double rifle.  Incredible.  It was one gun I
would take a pass on the opportunity to shoot.

Coffinmaker

Noz

Come on! That's 1.5 Oz of ball or shot, 200 grs of black.  Little more than a nice hefty load in a 10 ga.

I know cowboy shooters that shoot 2 oz of shot over 150 grs of black as their competition load.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Coffinmaker on October 26, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
HEY!!  FINGERS!!  Waddia think??  Sho up wid dat for FRONTIERSMAN  ;D

Coffinmaker

That's what I intend to do as soon as I get some rounds made up for my 10 ga double.

Big Ole Brad (who uses a 10ga double) is my hero.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Gabriel Law

I made an English Sporting Rifle for a friend some years ago with a .75 Cal. Getz barrel.  He shoots a .735" soft lead ball @ ~ 500 gr. or so, and 200 gr. FFg GOEX.  He has killed a lot of moose over the years with the rifle...gets a pass through lengthwise on a bull moose.
Nice job on the rifle in the video.

Coffinmaker

Sorry Noz,
What for some is a "Nice Hefty Load" for a 10Ga, qualifies as abuse for others.  Some folks consider shooting hefty loads a some kind of
Macho.  Some of us, on the other hand, don't care to get beaten about the head and shoulders by a hard kicking shotgun.  So:
I am a card carrying, dyed in the wool ....... proclaimed ....... WIMP!!  I don't care for heavy recoil.  Especially if I plan o shooting the
particular gun a lot.  Seems kinda dumb to deliberately beat yourself up.  Not in my particular lexicon as "fun."

Coffinmaker
(Dedicated Wimp)

Noz

Me neither! I shoot 1 oz of shot out of my 12 ga with a whole lot less powder than 200gr.

My point being a lot of excitement over a pretty standard 10 ga load.

Fingers, Chaos found a long barrel 10 ga to go with the Henry, Walker and Dragoon.  I don't know what he's shooting but it does displace some air.

Blair

The largest caliber Rifled gun I have shot is an M-1842 Rifled Musket. This was of course in BP.
A 600 gr, hollow bases Minnie ball out of a 42 inch long barrel  with 80 to 90 grs. of 2f BP.
I am not specifically recoil sensitive, however, I did not find it particularly pleasant to shoot.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com