Harbor Freight tumbler?

Started by will52100, October 22, 2015, 10:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will52100

I've got a Thumbler's Tumbler, and it's great.  But it's a bit larger for small batches of brass.  I'm thinking of a small HF tumbler, think it's the 3lbs model, for doing 50 rounds or less with SS media.  It's not like the Thumbler's is a real pain to set up or anything, just get tired of waiting till I have enough dirty brass to tumble.  Sometimes it'd be handy to do 30 rounds of 38 or 45 for example.

What's your take on the idea?  Or am I just being lazy?
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Good Troy

I have tumblers from Harbor Frieght similar to this one, except it takes two drums at a time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-lb-rotary-rock-tumbler-67631.html

I have two units (four drums total, two on each motor base).  They serve me well, as I can do small and large batches.  I use SSTM.  If I need only to run one drum, I just place an empty drum on the base along with the full one, and it tumbles fine.

BTW, watch for these as they go on sale, or they often have coupons as well.  I'm not cheap...I'd just rather spend the money on powder, bullets, etc... 
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

will52100

You might not be cheap, but I am.  ;D  That's why I don't have one yet.  I've got a 20% off coupon, and it's on sale, might have to go for it.  Sure would be handy to do a handful of brass instead of loading up the large Thumbler.

will52100

Got it on sale and with a 20% off it was under 40$.  And a free flash light.  The flash light works well with my LM press.

Anyway, not a bad tumbler, did a small batch of 38 LC this after noon to try it out.  I did have to fix the drive roller, put a couple drops of oil on the bearings like the instructions said, but the vinyl tube over the drive shaft was loose enough after about an hour the oil migrated into it and it just spun.  Cut it off and cleaned the shaft and rolled electrical tape on it and it works great now.  Tumbler also came with a bunch of spare drive belts.

It won't take the place of my Thumbler's Tumbler for large batches, but when I just want to shoot a box or two it'll be very convenient.

john boy

QuoteIt won't take the place of my Thumbler's Tumbler for large batches, but when I just want to shoot a box or two it'll be very convenient.
Lotrone, two 6 lb barrels and the 2 drum Harbor Freight for small jobs.  Reminds me - gotta go.  Have a small batch 0f 308 range pick ups running now in the Harbor Freight
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Bead Swinger

I like this idea a lot - I have some really dirty cases, and mostly small batches.  What media would you recommend?
1860 Rifle SN 23954

Hargrave

I just picked one of the harbor freight tumblers the other day and this media from Amazon arrived today ...

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins/dp/B00IER21M6

I will let you know this weekend ... I have some dirty brass and got this to ensure clean priming holes :-)

Jake
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Cinco Peso

Following, never had a tumbler and have no idea what to do. I got brass, can get tumbler but what else do I need?

Hargrave

I did my research on YouTube ..... 

Tumbler
Steel media (1lb per 3 lb tumbler bin)
Dawn dish soap
A polishing agent if you need bright ( not needed from what I hear)

.... Check out this YouTube video ... This was pretty good ....

Watch both parts ... I am getting a strainer tomorrow and will give a try over the next few days

Jake
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Cinco Peso

Quote from: Hargrave on January 11, 2016, 11:59:20 PM
I did my research on YouTube ..... 

Tumbler
Steel media (1lb per 3 lb tumbler bin)
Dawn dish soap
A polishing agent if you need bright ( not needed from what I hear)

.... Check out this YouTube video ... This was pretty good ....

Watch both parts ... I am getting a strainer tomorrow and will give a try over the next few days

Jake

Thanks

Cliff Fendley

Wow, I'm going to check out one of those two drum models. I many times come in from a shoot and have a small amount of brass of two or more calibers that dont get along well together in the tumbler.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

rbertalotto

Gone through three of the HF tumblers. They always replaced them when they burnt out, but I finally broke down and bought a Tumblers Tumbler...Nuff said!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Good Troy

I have two 2 drum HF tumblers.  I've had one for about 3 years, and the other for less than a year.  I purchased the second one to increase my capacity.  I've not had any issues with mine over the years.  Keep in mind that I shoot only about a match a month, and a visit to the range at least twice a month.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Coffinmaker

I think I must be deprived.  I've had the same vibratory case cleaner (Dillon) for the past 15+ years.  It's the small one.  I think it's suppose to hold about 500 .38 or 45 ACP cases.  Uses (I use) ground walnut media (lizard litter).  I always try to remember to sift the lizard poo out before I tumble cases.  I do not deprive before I tumble the cases and I do not clean primer pockets.  Probably run
somewhere around 3/4 million cases thru the process.  Cleans my cases nicely with smokeless powders and leaves the stains on my BP
cases.  I don't care.  Stained cases don't matter as long as they reload and go BANG.  Stained cases have ....... patina.  makes it at least look like I shoot a lot (I do).  But ..... I just don't care if my cases are bright and shiny.  Just go BANG!

SO:  It seems like I must be deprived.  Or, is it DEPRAVED??  Something.  An awful lot of folks seem really taken with SS media and some kind of "wet" tumbling and making brass that looks like "new."  People are gonna thing you don't ever shoot.  Always have "new" looking
brass.  Am I really Depraved .... er ..... Deprived????  Weak minds are ...... curiouser .......

Coffinmaker

Blair

Coffinmaker,

I use the same method of cleaning cases as you do.
Changed from corn cob to Walnut medium about 15 years ago. I can't say this is bad or good, other than I have had no reason to change.
My tumbler was and still is the small Dillion type tumbler. A bit noisy, but it does fine for my needs.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Professor Marvel

Greetings, Blair, Coffin -

I follow the same formula as you gents, except I have stuck with corn cobs as my lovely spousal unit is allergic to walnutty stuff.
we don't need any more airborne allergens inside the domicile...

yhs
prof mvl
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Coffinmaker

Monsieur Prof Marvel,

At least you don't have to sift for Lazard Poo either.  In some parts around here, Corn comes inna JAR  ;D

Coffinmaker

will52100

I like to get the crud of real black powder out.  Also when I shoot auto's there's always a few that I miss picking up and find in the next trip.  There black and cruddy, but a trip through the SS media and wet tumbling makes them kinda new again.

Also like depriming before tumbling, makes for clean and clear primer pockets and flash holes.  Think that's one reason I have almost no issues with either the Lee pro-1000 or Lee Loadmaster's priming system, no crud to gum the works up.

Also water flushes the corrosive elements out of the cases so they don't turn green on you.  I deprime within the first day then dunk in water to sit and wait for me to tumble.  I've let cases sit for close to two months with no corrosion when submerged in water.  Then to the tumbler and presto clean. 

I haven't used my vibratory cleaner in years.

I like the Thumbler's Tumbler better, but for a hand full of say 40-50 rounds of pistol brass the single drum HF tumbler is handy.  If it was my only tumbler I'd get the two drum tumbler for larger batches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com