1873 Winchester 44wcf circa 1885

Started by dusty texian, September 24, 2015, 04:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty texian

Over a yr. ago my good freind ndnchf sent me some 44 cal. 192gr.Mav Dutchman bullets to try. I lubed them with my 50/50 Bees wax / Tallow lube , and they hold plenty . sized them @.427 # 300 CCI cap,36gr2FF Swiss Bp. in Starline brass and all seated in an old Ideal Tong Tool. Well today I finally picked up the old 1873 Winchester circa 1885 28" Heavy Oct. barrel set trigger rifle and headed out to test the Big Lube Bullets. Target was @ 50yd. sand bag rest , the old rifle liked the Big Lube bullet useing the set trigger it gave this group. Looks good to me , I have a few more of these bullets to try , and bet it will not be long before I have them sailing at a bit farther range. Thanks ndnchf , for introduceing me to these bullets.,,,,,DT

ndnchf

Dusty - glad they worked out for you. That long barrel gets starved for lube with most bullets. But that big lube bullet solves that problem!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Blackpowder Burn

Beautiful old rifle Dusty.

I've been meaning to call you the past week, but life has been hectic lately.  Hope we can get together and burn some powder one day before long.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

dusty texian

Quote from: ndnchf on September 24, 2015, 06:03:09 PM
Dusty - glad they worked out for you. That long barrel gets starved for lube with most bullets. But that big lube bullet solves that problem!
Thanks again ndnchf!

dusty texian

Quote from: Blackpowder Burn on September 24, 2015, 09:22:56 PM
Beautiful old rifle Dusty.

I've been meaning to call you the past week, but life has been hectic lately.  Hope we can get together and burn some powder one day before long.
BB I have been in that same hectic boat as you. We will get out there and have a sit down shoot one day.,,,,,DT

Coffinmaker

After careful consideration of my status of "Retired Gunsmith," I can reservedly offer my not so humble talents and experience to resolve
those frustrating accuracy issues you seem to have.  A complex issue that may even tax my not so limited skills.
Just ship me the rifle.  I'll work out the bugs and insure the issues are properly dealt with.  
I should think I should be able to return the rifle to you after test firing it for ........ oh ......... two or three YEARS  ;D

All work will be guaranteed and all testing will utilize my ammunition.  No expense for the test period to you  ::)

Coffinmaker

Mike

My bill will be less and i will cover the postage both way ;D
Buffalochip

dusty texian

Rowdy Fulcher

Dusty
Do you have a Vintage Hunt lined up for your rifle ? Sure would like to see a picture of a monster Texas Deer take with your 73 .

dusty texian

Rowdy I may get a chance to get out there and give it a try.,,,DT

Oregon Bill

Dusty, I am sure looking forward to your report on the Dutchman bullet at longer range -- and to a successful deer hunt report as well!

dusty texian

Will do Brother Bill! Been scouting for hunters so much as of late, have had no time for shooting target. Did order and receive a new mold from Accurate molds  #43-205C that has a very large grease groove and the profile of the nose is longer than the Dutchman bullet , cast a few and they are .434"@ 210gr. and should shoot great in the old .44 wcf. I added an old original thick base long range Winchester tang sight to the rifle since my last range shooting with it. Have a 5 or 6 day break from hunting during the Thanksgiving holliday, and may get a chance for some testing the new bullets.Will post results,,,,,DT

Oregon Bill

That sounds like a fine plan, shooting an original 73 over the Thanksgiving break. That's cool that you found an original tang site.

Cliff Fendley

I have a 43-215C Accurate mold and have been happy with it. Has the nose profile of the original 44wcf bullets with the large lube groove.

The Mav44 bullets do real well but I like the nose profile of the Accurate mold. However even though they are very blunt on the nose I have had good results with the Mav44 out to ranges of 200+yards.

Even though it looks like it should, so far I haven't experienced any better accuracy with the Accurate 215C compared to the Mav44 bug lube bullets. However...more experimenting is in the near future.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com