Can Anyone Here Repair My Cartridge Belt?

Started by Cholla Hill Tirador, September 09, 2015, 12:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cholla Hill Tirador

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by asking, but I wondered if someone here would be able to make some repairs to my cartridge belt.

It's a Bucheimer that began life with .38/357 cartridge loops that I soaked with alcohol and stretched to accept .44 caliber cases (I know, probably not a good idea). So a few of the loops have broken, a few have broken stitching, and a few are stretched and the cartridges fall out.  (See photo)

Also, the stitching that holds the inner and outer pieces of the belt together has broken in places. (See photos)

So, I assume the belt would need to be disassembled, the cartridge loops replaced, then the belt sewn back together. Correct?

I've been putting off these repairs because I wear the rig almost daily and hate to be without it and too because I don't trust just anyone to repair it properly.

Any help is appreciated.

Cholla

TexasToby

If I were going to repair it, I would take the loops that are on there off, then just cut a new piece of leather the correct width and length and sew it on using the same holes that are in the belt. Texas Toby
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

Camano Ridge

Cholla did not receive your reply to my PM. Can you try again. Never mind, found the email.

Cliff Fendley

Honestly I could make a new one easier and less money than repairing that one. Unless it's important to still use the same old belt a person could get a new one made while still using the old one. Very time consuming to follow all the original stitch holes, especially making holes in a new bullet loop strap to match the belt holes.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

outrider

Howdy Cliff,
That is exactly the reason I do not do repairs and or alterations on existing rigs....new one would be cheaper....I base my prices on at least 25 per hour plus material
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Cholla Hill Tirador

outrider and Cliff y'all go ahead and get started on my new cartridge belts, let me know when they're done, and I'll send the money your way. I'll send each of you exactly what I'm paying Scott to repair rig. I won't tell you how much he's charging me, I will tell you outrider, you better work damned fast and get a good buy on the material to make a rig cheaper than Scott is repairing mine!

Cholla

P.S. My britches are 35" in the waist, so base the belt size on that. I'll need one of you to make one with loops for a .357 and the other to make loops for a .45. Thanks!

Black River Smith

CHT,

Could you please show a full photo of your working holster attached to this belt?  I am half way to my 44Spec and would like to see your holster.  It is definitely different from the holster you have in the background on the Clone forum in the 'Show us yer clone' posting.

Thanks
BRS

PS:  Where did you get those stag or imitation stag grips that you once had on this 44Spec?  One picture in the same referenced posting.
Black River Smith

Cholla Hill Tirador

Hmmm.....I'm going to have to go to the clone forum and.look!

Cholla Hill Tirador

Quote from: Black River Smith on September 25, 2015, 12:27:39 PM
CHT,

Could you please show a full photo of your working holster attached to this belt?  I am half way to my 44Spec and would like to see your holster.  It is definitely different from the holster you have in the background on the Clone forum in the 'Show us yer clone' posting.

Thanks
BRS

PS:  Where did you get those stag or imitation stag grips that you once had on this 44Spec?  One picture in the same referenced posting.

The belt is a Bucheimer drop rig and the holster was made by Lonnie Lindsey up in Montana. Love the holster as is protects the revolver well and is well built but soft. I rig it the way I do so the holster doesn't  slide on the belt. The grips in the pic in the old post are just some fake stag I got in lot of grips I bought at an auction. Going to try to post some pics, but it's a pain.from my phone.

Hope this helps.

CHT

Black River Smith

Thank you sir, those photo's are perfect for what I wanted to see.  The holster is designed like I thought but with snaps instead of being stitched.  I too like a holster that rides high on the gun and provides cover/protection.

Thanks
Black River Smith

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: Cholla Hill Tirador on September 23, 2015, 10:44:55 PM
outrider and Cliff y'all go ahead and get started on my new cartridge belts, let me know when they're done, and I'll send the money your way. I'll send each of you exactly what I'm paying Scott to repair rig. I won't tell you how much he's charging me, I will tell you outrider, you better work damned fast and get a good buy on the material to make a rig cheaper than Scott is repairing mine!

Cholla

P.S. My britches are 35" in the waist, so base the belt size on that. I'll need one of you to make one with loops for a .357 and the other to make loops for a .45. Thanks!

If you read my post I said "I" could...based on the fact I can make a new one faster than repairing that. Not sure how you translated that to doing it cheaper than anyone else. I have about a year waiting list and I'm certainly not interested in letting someone else dictate my wages.

Johnson County Rangers

Cholla Hill Tirador

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on September 25, 2015, 10:37:59 PM
If you read my post I said "I" could...based on the fact I can make a new one faster than repairing that. Not sure how you translated that to doing it cheaper than anyone else. I have about a year waiting list and I'm certainly not interested in letting someone else dictate my wages.

Not sure how I translated that?

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on September 14, 2015, 08:15:47 PM
Honestly I could make a new one easier and less money than repairing that one.

...that's how. One should be careful not to let their alligator mouth overload their bunny rabbit behind.  ;D

Scott at Camano Ridge received the belt on  Sept. 22, took time to e-mail a couple of questions to me, then had the darn thing repaired and back in the mail by the 25th. What a gentleman and an exemplary businessman. I'll be posting pictures of the work as soon as I have the belt back.

CHT

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: Cholla Hill Tirador on September 26, 2015, 01:19:49 AM
Not sure how I translated that?

...that's how. One should be careful not to let their alligator mouth overload their bunny rabbit behind.  ;D

Scott at Camano Ridge received the belt on  Sept. 22, took time to e-mail a couple of questions to me, then had the darn thing repaired and back in the mail by the 25th. What a gentleman and an exemplary businessman. I'll be posting pictures of the work as soon as I have the belt back.

CHT

I'll say it one more time so maybe you can grasp and then I'm finished with this conversation.

I say "I", which means "ME", that does not mean I may be willing to work for what someone else charges.

Have a nice life.

Johnson County Rangers

Professor Marvel

Cholla , you are quite the piece of work.

I hope you find a forum you actually like somewhere, because you are not making many friends here on CAS City.
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com