Bore Butter

Started by SimmerinLightning, August 06, 2015, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman1

Just make sure the "synthetic" oil or grease is really synthetic just like yer BP is real BP. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Dick Dastardly

FWIW, I've been using uncut Ballistol for an arbor lube on my 1860 Pietta open tops.  Never a problem even at a 12 stage annual event.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Thumb Buster

Figure I might a well chime in here.  In my earlier trials with Percussion and black powder I found out about petroleum products and soot...the hard way.  Not being the sharpest tack in the box... :-[...I then started using Bore Butter thinkin' '...well, it ain't a petro product'.  Started noticing bindin' and heavier sootin' in the barrel and innards.  Huh...how 'bout that!  Finally, I decided to use Ballistol very sparingly like DD mentioned and found that I can shoot to my hearts content with not near the fouling or binding.  If I coulda' given myself a brain-duster I would have.  Now, there's no excuse on my part 'cuz you all have been discussin' this for ages.  Live and learn.
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Coffinmaker

Mobil 1 plays quite well with real BP.  As was/is was mentioned, when electing to use commercial Synthetics for grease or oil with real BP or even most of the subs ....... READ THE LABEL!!  Some of the touted "synthetics" are only partial synthetic and do have some Petroleum based stuff in em.  No, I don't have a current list.

Monsieur Dirty Dick Dastardly makes an interesting point as well.  Once assembled after "work" or after cleaning, I assemble with Mobil 1 grease.  At a match, I have found ANY grease to be a bother.  Once I'm shooting, I spritz the arbor and hammer channel with a small spray can of Ballistol.  I use to be a Poo Poo Nay Sayer about Ballistol.  Now, not so much.  I also use a sprits of Ballistol on the Carrier Block of my rifle about every other stage to insure smooth uninterrupted cycling.
I also use Mobil 1 grease as the assembly lube in my toggle link rifles after cleaning.  Once I'm shooting, either a drop or two of Mobil 1 motor oil or sprits of Ballistol.  I do NOT like the smell of Ballistol.  Not good for brushing teeth either.   ;D

Coffinmaker

PS:  Shooting Gunfighter, I can't afford guns that stick or hang up.  Don't have a free hand.  So ...... I load on the Dirty Dick Dastardly "Tower of Power" which enables me to wipe the cylinder face and spritz the Arbor with Ballistol or a couple drops of Mobil 1 oil.

PJ Hardtack

Quote from: Coffinmaker on August 30, 2015, 10:56:18 AMI do NOT like the smell of Ballistol.  Not good for brushing teeth either.   ;D

Coffinmaker

Best description of the smell of Ballistol: "Smells like the puck in the bottom of truck stop urinals."

Smell or no, I've found it an excellent product for a variety of applications.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

will52100

Thanks Coffinmaker, I'll get s tube and give it a try.  I've used Bore Butter for arbor lube for years with good results.  Except for one, if I clean and let the gun sit in the safe for a while whilst enjoying other guns, the bore butter gets kinda dry and stiff on the arbor.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Lefty Dude

When storing my Cap guns for short or long periods of time, after cleaning I coat the Arbor with a light coat of Frog Lube. Then the day before I shoot the Pieces I wipe the Arbor clean. At this point I determine the Weather temperature. In the Summer/Spring I install Mobil 1 Grease on the Arbor. If it is Fall/Winter the Frog Lube gel is applied.
Either lube will last six stages with no re-application and Arbor removal required.

Here in the Desert Southwest Bore Butter flows like Water most times of the Year.

I use BB for lubing my Wads. Put 100 or so Wool Felt wads is a small zip lock bag with a tablespoon of BB. Place in Microwave for 30 seconds, remove and kneed the liquid BB with the Wads. Alas..... quick lubed wads.

My tube of BB might possibly be 30 years old.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com