Which Cap & Ball revolver is better

Started by Bottom Dealin Mike, July 20, 2015, 07:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottom Dealin Mike

I'm writing a "Guns of the Old West" column about which cap and ball revolver is better, Remington's New Model Army, or the Colt 1860 Army model. So I'd like to conduct an informal poll to use in the column. If you're a cap and ball shooter please let me know what you think.

1. Which revolver is better:
   a. Colt 1860 Army
   b. Remington New Model Army

2. Why do you prefer it? (optional)

2. Do you own both revolvers?
   a. Yes
   b. No

Thanks for your help.

Slowhand Bob

1- Colts 1860
2- Strictly based on fit to my hand (I actually even prefer the Nave grip more)
3- Yes

Blair

Mike,

1. I believe the Remington is better for its strength of its design and therefore better for target shooting.
2. I prefer the feel and balance of the 1860 Colt over the Remington.
3. Yes, I own both.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Bunk Stagnerg

1 Colt 1860 Army
2 easier to clean and easier to disassemble
3 The only Remington I own is a .45-70 rolling block
Best regards
Bunk

Bunk Stagnerg

1 1860 Army Colt
2 easier to clean and easier to disassemble
3 the only Remington iI own is a rolling block .45-70
Best regards
Bunk

Bottom Dealin Mike

This is just so I know where I am on the spread sheet.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Long Johns Wolf

1. Colt 1860 pattern pistol (Centaure aka Centennial Army)
2. By far better grip geometry, less trouble with bp crud
3. Yes, I own both.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Jake C

1. Colt 1860 Army
2. While the Remington has some better design features, the 1860 Army handles BP fouling better, is a more comfortable pistol to shoot, is a better pointer (my opinion), and it's short comings (cap jams) are easy to avoid (a good authoritative cocking of the hammer throws caps to the side).
3. Have shot both numerous times, but don't own either currently.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Bottom Dealin Mike

Thumb Buster

1) I prefer the 1860 Army.

2) Because it fits my hand, points naturally and it doesn't bust my middle fingers second knuckle.

3) I own both revolvers.
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

rickk

I have both...

I think the Remington is better.

The cylinder to barrel gap is held much more precisely on the Remington. On the Colts it can vary a bit depending on the wedge shape and position, especially on out-of-the box specimen's.  I have one Colt that when I got it, it would sometimes have so little gap that turning the cylinder was near impossible.  I messed with the wedge and got it a little better but it really needs more work.

I have 3 Remington's and they are all hassle-free right out of the box.

Major 2

Both ...prefer the 1860

The 1860 had reached the pinnacle of the Open,  large arbor design , It's streamline look is arguably the most handsome
revolver ever made.
Though it's technology was dated, it was strong enough to be the largest purchase handgun of the CW
and it also lent itself to be converted beyond C&B ignition.

The Remington New Model Army, was the wave of the future , however it's small Diameter arbor allowed for fouling ,though less likely to ingest cap fragments.
A stout design, was second in Government purchases for the war...
It also was easily converted beyond the C&B ignition.

Side by each ... ergonomically,  I choose the Colt 1860 Army

I suppose that's why I own so many,  From a Circa 1862 , several 2nd Gens , Type 1 & 2 Richards ...& an OT.
and just the one NMA conversion .

when planets align...do the deal !

Good Troy

1. I prefer
  b. Remington New Model Army

2. Why do you prefer it? Stronger frame, looks, and ease of cylinder removal.

3. Do you own both revolvers?
  b. No...not yet....I have two Pietta copies of the NMA.  
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

1.  Colt

2.  The Remmie has some very good features, but the Colt fits me and shoots very easily.

3.  Both
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

45 Dragoon

Hey Mike,
I'd have to go with the crowd here and say the Drag. .  I mean the '60 Army!
It will run longer, tune smoother/lighter, clean easier and maintain a tight barrel/cylinder clearance (set up as they were from Colts, not right off the Italian assy line). And, I think the strength goes to the opentop (see last sentence!).
The Remie is a great first step towards the modernization and I love my Remies but the action geometry isn't quite there.
That said, one of my favorite carries is a 6 shot 45 Colt R&D equipped 5 1/2" Pietta (they're great with smokless loads!!) The other is a '73 copy El Patron Comp.(45 C /45acp).

Yes, I have both.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Pay Dirt Norvelle

I like the 1858 Remington and I have two of them.  The seem to fit better in my hands.  The only colt I own is a 1851 Navy so I can't really compare them.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

treebeard

I have both and prefer Remington if they have the large grips.
For some reason there are Remington's with smaller grips and I own both types.
The Remington cylinder is easy to remove for cleaning and /or loading
The grip and balance of the 1860 is great but if I had to choose I would pick the Remington.
I have both because I do not want to choose!

Coffinmaker

1860 Colt.  Original or reproduction
For all the same reasons quoted by 45 Dragoon ... and .....
Remington hand springs are ....... cra ..... fragile  ::)
Plus, the Remington barks the heck out of my middle finger.  Ouch!

Coffinmaker

Cliff Fendley

If I could only have one it would be a very hard choice but may give the nod to the Colt because it is so much fun to shoot and the balance is second to no other pistol.

Besides better balanced the Colt has a more comfortable grip. Plus IMO the 1860 Army is almost the sexiest, most elegant looking pistol ever produced. I say almost because the 1861 has the slight edge in looks.

but....the Remington is a more advanced, stronger design and from my experience more accurate.

So to answer which is better?

I'd have to say the Remington is the better design

Why?

Even though I have a fondness for the Colts I actually shoot Remingtons more, mostly because of easy cylinder removal and quick cleaning between stages at matches and mostly confidence in accuracy.

I've owned a bunch of C&B revolvers and from my experience, for the average Joe purchasing a gun, the Remington is more likely to be able to go to the range without tuning. No tuning of arbor wedges etc etc. The Remington needs none of this and are accurate right out of the box.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Crow Choker

1) As far as design (strength, ease of takedown-assembly, sights, change of spare loaded cylinder) I believe the Remington. As far as history, feel, looks, less problems with residue-the Colt. Of the two, which one do I prefer and would take over the other-The Colt.

2) Why do I prefer the Colt-Feels better in my hands when shooting, history, looks, and the Colt design is what I broke into black powder shooting with back in the early 70's when black powder sold for around $2.50 a pound, caps were less than $1 a hundred, and a whole host of things were different. There's a old Monkee (musical group) song with a verse that goes like this- "I'll be true to you, yes I will". That's how I feel to thee Ol' Colt.

3) I have and shoot both designs.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com