Pure Curiosity - the Trowel Bayonet

Started by Jake C, July 15, 2015, 03:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake C

Howdy everyone,

Now that I have my Trapdoor, I'm looking around for a bayonet for it, and I've come across Trowel bayonets. They're new to me, so I was curious if anyone had a good place where I can sate my curiosity about this piece of equipment and gain a little bit of knowledge, as it were.

Thank you kindly for your time!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

River City John

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf

Begin here as a starter, not too much on trowel, but lots of suggested source materials for research.

http://www.storymindmedia.com/angryalien/books/general-services/Reports%20of%20experiments%20with%20Rice's%20trowel%20bayonet%20-%201874.pdf

The above is the official report to the Army on the Rice Trowel Bayonet and it's success, or failures.

RCJ :)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Pitspitr

The Trowel Bayonet wasn't meant to be used to dig while attached to the barrel of the rifle. Unfortunately soldiers apparently did. I've had 2 rifles that had barrels that were bent right at the upper barrel band. On one hand it would seem that the bayonet would bend before the barrel would, on the other I don't know how else to explain both being bent in the same place.

For  a lot of years I did living history at Fort Hartsuff State Historic Park near Burwell Nebraska. Company A of the 23rd Infantry was one of the units issued the trowel bayonet for trials while they were stationed at Fort Hartsuff.  I bought one of the India made reproductions to use on display. If you make it the GM next year I can show you the repro. Originals were rare enough that they are quite pricey.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

St. George

I've owned a number of originals and their scabbards over time - several even had the wooden insert that completed the handle, so you can imagine that in reality, few saw active service.

If you want one, originals are out there, and in nice condition for reasonable money - and S&S Firearms has reproduction wooden inserts.

Repros abound for those less historically-inclined, I'm told.

It was a time of experimentation for the Army - everybody and his brother was trying to get the Army to buy something that would make the soldier's life easier in the field, but no one ever asked the soldier just how much he was willing to carry or put up with for that to happen.

This sort of fell into that category, as did the 'Model 1880 Entrenching Tool' that was somewhat similar, but with a flat blade.

The times did produce the 'Model 1880 Hunting Knife', though - and they proved both beautiful as well as useful - but not as useful as the plain butcher/skinning knife so often used by the soldier of the Frontier Army.

See Hardin - 'The American Bayonet', and 'Light But Efficient' for more.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Jake C

Thank you all for the responses! Some very interesting information. I think I'm going to save up and grab the standard bayonet versus the trowel bayonet (at least in terms of originals; might have to grab a reproduction trowel just to have).

Completely unrelated, where can I find some good general information on GAF matches (standard distance to targets, that kind of information). I've read the regulations, but that only takes you so far. Could someone direct me to where I can find this info?

Thank you kindly.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Delmonico

The distances will depend on the range limitations most times.   

If you want to shoot the tough one come to the Grand Muster next year out by Sargent.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Delmonico

Also look over these pictures from this years Grand Muster, will give you some idea, I've heard rumors you do have to use that thing on front of the barrel at times.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55530.0.html

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,55573.0.html
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Drydock

For a Skirmish type muster, you can expect half scale silhouette targets (targets are shown Prone, kneeling and standing) at 25 to 75 yards or so, with a long range component utilizing full power ammunition out to 300 yards.  Handgun targets will be 7 to 25 yards or so.

Some matchs are limited by range requirements to a SASS style format, though we encourage the rifle targets to be set back as far as possible.  My local SASS club places an extra set of targets back by our berm for we GAF shooters.  We then shoot the same course of fire as the Cowboys, but use the far rifle targets, no shotgun, reloading as needed.

Go up to the "GAF Regulations" child board at the top of Barracks page, and look thru the "Muster Guide".
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Pitspitr

Quote from: Trum4n1208 on July 16, 2015, 02:08:07 PM
where can I find some good general information on GAF matches (standard distance to targets, that kind of information). I've read the regulations, but that only takes you so far. Could someone direct me to where I can find this info?
Drydock gave you a pretty good answer on distances. One thing that he didn't say and that makes giving a definitive answer to the distance question is that the distance to some targets changes as you shoot at them.  ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about being totally prepared for your first Grand Muster. It's kind of one of those things that you just have to jump in and get your feet wet. There'll be plenty of use there to help you and offer advice.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com