stainless steel pins

Started by Bunk Stagnerg, July 14, 2015, 11:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunk Stagnerg

Steel pins are hard to handle, but there is a way to tame them.

First drain the water off of the drum when they are done and sort the pins from the cases in a regular media separator.
Let the pins dry completely because they don't store wet at all. They may be stainless, but thy will make a nasty clump stored wet.

After they are completely dry take quart plastic baggie, turn it inside out and slip it over a magnet. Pick up the pins, turn the baggie right side out and presto all the pins ready to store.

Every so often I run the magnet over the shop floor and pick up the stray pins they sometimes stick then fall out of cases. Always some will escape no matter how careful you are.

Hold center
Bunk

Slowhand Bob

Thanks for the how-to pard , hope to get into that soon..  I need to get a good tumbler first, some of my range 'pick up' brass needs more than the vibrator can provide.

Freedom

Just go Ultra Sonic...Clean brass and never have media mess again!!!!!  :P
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Cliff Fendley

I just separate them in a media separator and dump them back in the tumbler for next time. Who cares if they are wet, they are stainless and don't seem to rust even though they are some sort of 400 series because a magnet will pick them up.

I have an RCBS ultrasonic cleaner and it's OK for running a few pieces through for an initial clean to keep them from turning green if it's going to be a while before getting enough to run the tumbler. No way does an ultrasonic cleaner compare to tumbling with the stainless pins, not even close.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Dick Dastardly

First, tumble for three hours with SS media.  Then drain, rinse and tumble 3 more hours with DD Ceramic Porcelain media.  Sparkling brass outside and in, including the primer pockets if you took the time to knock out the primers first.  My experience tells me that the brass will be clean but dull after the SS media tumble.  The CP media brings up the factory new luster.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cliff Fendley

Never tried the ceramic but the stainless pins makes it shine just like new brass. Shinier than some new brass. Put a little lemi shine in the water.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

wildman1

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on July 15, 2015, 09:03:43 PM
Never tried the ceramic but the stainless pins makes it shine just like new brass. Shinier than some new brass. Put a little lemi shine in the water.
You are correct on all counts Cliff. A little Lemi Shine works great. I use 1/8 tsp in my Thumblers B model with a squirt of Dawn. My brass looks better than new. The only time I tumble for three hours is if my brass has been used for BP and has set for a while (weeks) before cleaning. With smokiless powder fired brass it only takes an hour. Noneed for drying the pins, they are dry the next day anyhow. I use a Dillon media separater. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

HolliferADollar

In my Thumler's with SS media, I have had good results with BP brass doing a "prewash" for about 20 minutes, with dishwashing soap only.  This removes all the major crud.  Flush it out a couple of times, then run for about 3 hours with soap & LemiShine.  Using LemiShine in the prewash has caused my brass to be really dull.  Running the brass with the BP crud for more than 30 minutes also makes it dull. YMMV.

Holler

Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Bunk Stagnerg

I use DD's method and recommend it because it works like a charm. The pins alone do get things clean, but not super shiny which helps fiinding them in the grass.
A finish run with the ceramic puts the icing on the cake. If you deprime first the primer pockets also get nice and clean. It takes a little time, but is worth it.
respectfully submitted
Bunk

Slowhand Bob

Any of you guys tried either the Frankford Arsenal or Rebel rotary tumblers and care to comment?  Both are in the $200+ or- range and have pretty good ratings so far.

will52100

Been using a thumbler's tumbler, can't speak to other makes, but a tumbler is not a complicated machine.

I used to love the ceramic media, except they like to jam up in the cases.  44 and 45 cold did good, every other caliber I used them on was a PITA.  The SS media doesn't have that problem and the brass comes out looking new.  If it's extremely dirty then after about 3 hours I'll pour the water off and re-fill with water and some more soap and lemishine and give another 2-3 hour tumble.  Even the dirtiest brass that got missed for a month sitting on the ground comes out sparkling.

If the ceramic media wouldn't jam up in cases it'd be all I'd use, it does clean faster, it's just a PITA to get it out of some cases.  I used to have a couple of picks on stand by to dig them out, along with an impact puller for some of the stubborn ones.

For separating SS media from brass, I've got this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/757242/lyman-turbo-rotary-media-separator?cm_vc=ProductFinding  or nearly that, mines blue and Frankford arsenal I think.  Anyway, sure makes life easier and just a couple of minutes I've got brass and media separated with no muss, no fuss.  I leave the pins in the bottom of the separator and rinse them then drain most of the water off down the sink.  I've got a sink outside my shop so that makes life a little easier.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Major 2

Add a squirt of Turtles Zip Wax car wash or Armor All Ultra    ...  to your LemiShine water , brass stays bright
when planets align...do the deal !

Mad Mucus

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on July 17, 2015, 07:19:53 PM
Any of you guys tried either the Frankford Arsenal or Rebel rotary tumblers and care to comment?  Both are in the $200+ or- range and have pretty good ratings so far.

Frankford Arsenal..... works great with their "Frankford Arsenal Brass Cleaning solution". A small single use sachet comes with it, BUT I CAN'T GET IT HERE IN AUSTRALIA :'(
Their Stainless Steel Transfer Magnet works well too.

Very happy!

MM
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

Major 2

In addition to the Turtlewax or Armor all trick ( thanks Dakota Ike )

I'd like vear slightly off course.... with Mr. Freedom ultra sonic suggestion

older RCBS Ultra Sonic $139.00 -$184.00

Lyman Ultra Sonic  $116.00- $149.00

Harbor Freight Ultra Sonic @ $89.00

The Lyman & Harbor Freight are the exact same unit ( but you pay $27.00 extra for the Lyman Decal )

The RCBC is the same manufacturer (China ) and now different design,  is Green and different control layout and a little more capacity

Coffinmaker

I'm just a Fudy Dudy.  I still use my Dillon with Lizard Litter media, I don't care of my brass looks ........ used.

I do find the "new" cartridge interesting though.  I think the 45 ACP necked up to 50 BMG just might have potential  ;D

Coffinmaker

Major 2

Earlier RCBS unit  & their new unit ...

Just saying ... The brass I show is  cleaned 8 min.s, in LemiShine brand & Turtle-wax brand and Harbor Freight Unit.

not as bright as a Thumler's Tumbler & SS pins , but good enough for a return trip to the range... :)

BY the By ...
if you get the Harbor Freight free newsprint mailer or pick one up at the Store ..my Ultra Sonic was 25% off  @ $$66.25.

Observation on my part  :)  back to the original point of the thread  :D

Major 2

Quote from: Coffinmaker on August 16, 2015, 08:54:51 AM

I do find the "new" cartridge interesting though.  I think the 45 ACP necked up to 50 BMG just might have potential  ;D

Coffinmaker

You're sharp  ;D  that's my PIMP round  ;) 

hellgate

Geeze, I just use Nickeled brass cleaned in a Thumbler's Tumbler (rock polisher) in 1 qt cans & lizard litter. Before I toss them in the tumbler for about 30 minutes I rinse & dry them in a toaster oven set at 200 degrees cranking the timer for 1/2 hr while I clean guns. I add a little denatured alcohol to the litter to keep down dust and that's it. The nickeled brass is always shiny. None of this 3 hour stumbling stuff for me. Besides the wife & kids used to complain about the noise anyway.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Coffinmaker

Well shoot ........
I realize this is some drift (just a little), but I'll tie it together ........ HONEST  :o

Actually, I'm with Hellgate.  The only cartridges I shoot anymore are in my rifles.  Ok, occasionally in cartridge converted handguns.  But.
I only shoot ONE cartridge any more.  Well, actually two.  Sorta.  Half of my cartridges are Cowboy 45 Special.  The other half of my cartridges are 45 Squirt.  45 Squirt is made from 45 Schofield (Nickel Plated), cut to C45S length.

I tumble both 45 Squirt and C45S together in my Dillon with Lizard Letter (Remove the lizard poo first  ;D).  C45S come out clean, but kinda used looking (I like that).  45 Squirt (Nickel Plate) come out real SHINY.  Easy for the pickers to find in the grass  :)

NOW FOR THE TIE IN

My very effective solution for using and handling Stainless Steel Pins ....... is .......TA DA ........ I don't.  Too much mess and bother to go thru for too little gain.  As long as it goes BANG a little staining is just ........ patina.  Also, same same Hellgate.  Since I shoot APP exclusively, wash cases inna sink (2 Minutes), toss onna tray and stick em inna Toaster Oven @ 200 degrees for 45 minutes while I do
something productive.  Like eat a piece of Cherry Pie.  Pins Schmins, they're just too much hassle.

Coffinmaker

hellgate

Coffinmaker, I couldn't have said it better myself.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com