Strap cutter?

Started by Black River Smith, July 04, 2015, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black River Smith

What type and brand of strap cutter do you use?  A pistol grip draw guage cutter or wooden strap cutter?   I am getting these names from ebay so forgive me if they are not the proper terms.  Do they use the same type of general razor blade?

I cannot afford nor do I do enough work to justify an expensive machine, so I am looking for one of these hand ones.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

BRS
Black River Smith

Cliff Fendley

I like the wooden ones.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Grenadier

I've been using my wooden one from Tandy for years. I have a draw gauge too but I am not fond of it at all.

Major 2

Quote from: Grenadier on July 05, 2015, 04:58:17 AM
I've been using my wooden one from Tandy for years. I have a draw gauge too but I am not fond of it at all.

my words exactly  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Slowhand Bob

I sold out my shop last year and only kept a few basics but did have many of each type strap cutter.  Most were set up for one width and locked down there for speed of operation.  I kept one for my hobby box, a metal version with the double bar ( made like the wooden ones).  It was the one I always used for odd cuts in the shop and so did not keep at one setting so must have been my favorite.  They make a specific quick change blade for these and are easily found and even substitutes can be easily adapted and used.  I know most old timers like to sharpen fine steel tool blades but I was always a safety razor guy!

Marshal Will Wingam

I also have a wooden one that I use. I've tried several others but that is the best. Amazon has them for a fairly good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftool-%C2%AE-Strip-Strap-Cutter/dp/B0036UU0AG

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Black River Smith

Once again, thanks for the guidance and sharing your knowledge.
Black River Smith

Mogorilla

Seems like everyone has said it, but another for the wooden one.  Works great and easy on the wallet

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

As Will said the wooden one is what I use the most...

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Freedom

Well I am the odd man out :P...cause I hate strap cutters and prefur my 60mm rotary cutter and a clear rule for strap work. ;)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Graveyard Jack

The cheap wooden ones from Tandy work like a champ!
SASS #81,827

brenn

Quote from: CraigC on July 09, 2015, 02:06:54 PM
The cheap wooden ones from Tandy work like a champ!

Same here.

Red Cent

Do an easy mod to the wooden one for easier cutting and handling. Since this picture I have put a peg below the back peg.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Red Cent

SASS29170L

KidTerico

I like the wooden ones. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

rickk

Red Cent

Another tip. Adjust the blade so it will be at 45 degrees to the leather. Unbelievable smooth cutting and one can use the blade for a long time.
SASS29170L

Black River Smith

Finally needed to use the wooden strap cutter that you all suggested and I ultimately bought.

I think this is one of the easiest leather tools I have used.  Worked perfectly with only one adjustment to get the 1" width, I desired.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com