1861 Navy problem

Started by Wally Montana, June 08, 2015, 09:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty Dude

Coffinmaker

Also a Shooter.  If ya can't take it out and play with it, why have it in the first place!!!!  I doubt you'll find many here who have glass cases.  We just want to stuff em full of dirty ol smoky gun powder and make em roar.

Unfortunately, some of our guns take a bunch of finger poking to get em to roar on a regular basis.  I fall into the finger poker category.  In fact, for a good long while, I qualified as professional finger poker.  That's why you'll often find me posting stuff to folks to help em get a problem solved as easily, inexpensively, and quickly as possible.  Turn a deluxe kit into a functioning toy.  Gotta play with yer toys  ;D

Coffinmaker

Thumb Buster

Heck, half the fun is gettin' those 'deluxe kits' to work right!  Then shootin' them is the other half.  I sure as heck don't have any glass cases either.  Make smoke & flame.   ;D
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Fingers McGee

I've got lots of shooters; but I also have NIB pieces - none of them under glass though. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Major 2

I have a few of the real deal under glass ( well plexi glass )  150 years old or older
everything else is shot or sold. 
when planets align...do the deal !

Wally Montana

Hi all,

First off, thanks for all the input on this problem.  I really appreciate your taking the time to help fix it.

I did start to take the gun apart and found someone had been in there before me.  Several of the screw heads were boogered up pretty good.  I took off the handle and trigger guard and ran into a slight problem.  The screw holding the trigger spring would not budge.  Not having the correct tool to try and add more force I decided to back off and try something else.

I reassembled the gun and got under a very strong light to watch the hammer and cylinder as I cycled thru the chambers.  It appears that the cylinder is rotating to far and the hammer is just nudging the top left of the chamber cut.  Might have been good that it did not fire every cap!

Being a shade on the old side (69 almost 70) and not having the best vision I may have to wait till I find a competent gunsmith to look at it  I still have two 1851's to play with for the time being.

Thanks for your efforts to help.  People who like old guns tend to be more helpful and charitable than the average people.

Thanks again,

Wally

Wally Montana

Just a further little information on this gun.  It has stamped on the barrel "made in italy", but their is no manufacturer name anywhere on the gun.  It has XXI or XXII (hard to tell which) stamped on the right side of the frame just below the water table.  I believe that would indicate that it was made in the late 1960's.  Could this be an Armi San Marco product?  I understand that they had a lot of manufacturing problems with their reproductions and maybe I found one at a gun show.

Has a serial number (N1196) stamped on the bottom just in front of the trigger guard.  Darn thing is real pretty even if I can't shoot it right now. 

Would it be a candidate to be converted to a bp cartridge gun?

Wally

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Wally Montana on June 15, 2015, 11:01:58 PM
Just a further little information on this gun.  It has stamped on the barrel "made in italy", but their is no manufacturer name anywhere on the gun.  It has XXI or XXII (hard to tell which) stamped on the right side of the frame just below the water table.  I believe that would indicate that it was made in the late 1960's.  Could this be an Armi San Marco product?  I understand that they had a lot of manufacturing problems with their reproductions and maybe I found one at a gun show.

Has a serial number (N1196) stamped on the bottom just in front of the trigger guard.  Darn thing is real pretty even if I can't shoot it right now. 

Would it be a candidate to be converted to a bp cartridge gun?

Wally

XXI = 1965, XXII = 1966  It could be a GLB, COM, PR, or even a Euromanufacture (double diamond) - or it could be a Gregorelli & Uberti.  Depends on what other markings there are on the backstrap and/or barrel. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com