Shooting Pietta's 1861 Navy Revolver

Started by Bottom Dealin Mike, June 01, 2015, 09:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottom Dealin Mike

I put together a video on Pietta's 1861 Navy replica. In the video I load and shoot the 1861 with a variety of projectiles. You'll see round balls, Kaido Ojama's outstanding conical bullets, and you'll aslo see me load it up with John Gurnee's museum quality paper cartridges.

Admittedly, the video is kind of long, so I hope it is good enough to hold your interest and make it worthwhile.

https://www.full30.com/video/fbce211ffde9c30455162110afae1b28

Fingers McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Major 2

Shaving cream great reactionary targets
when planets align...do the deal !

Thumb Buster

+1 on what Fingers said.  Guess I'll have to break down and finally up the 1861.  Been wantin' to for a while now.  Liked the shaving cream cans also.  Wonder if the local indoor range would let me try that?   ::)
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Lefty Dude

Mike;
What nipples are you using with this 1861 ? Also what method did you use for the cap/jam issue ? Is the Hammer safety slot filled or Modified ? Is the Hammer spring original or modified ?

Love your Video's, keep up the good work.

Bottom Dealin Mike

I'm using slid shot nipples. There are so videos on what I did to the action before taking it to the range

Slowhand Bob

BDM, do the steel grip frames have the same bell shape that you complain about with the .36 brass versions?

Fox Creek Kid

Pietta used to make their '61 Navies with an incorrect 8" barrel, Have they corrected that?  ???

Bottom Dealin Mike

Slowhand Bob, no, the steel grip frame has proper geometry

Fox Creek Kid, as I say in the video, they still have the 8" barrel...my only gripe with the gun.

Lefty Dude

Quote from: Bottom Dealin Mike on June 01, 2015, 08:52:15 PM
I'm using slid shot nipples. There are so videos on what I did to the action before taking it to the range

The video link would be much appreciated, thanks.

Major 2

Here is how I got around the 8" barrel issue   :)

I acquired the Pietta for express purpose to Avenging Angel-ize & convert
the 51 barrel arrived , it is sorta a hy-bred Dan Wesson- ish  

in 3" mode it shoots BP heeled bullets  ( Bob OEM Barrel )
in 7 1/2" mode BP 38 Special ( yes, this barrel is lined )

Thumb Buster

Quote from: Bottom Dealin Mike on June 02, 2015, 10:13:33 AM
Slowhand Bob, no, the steel grip frame has proper geometry

Right there convinces me I just have to have one.  Thanks again Mike.  Forgot to add in my previous post that I didn't think the video was too long either.  Please keep them comin'.  
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Navy Six

Mike, I noticed Kaido's bullet just cleared the rammer area on the 61. Will that same bullet fit a 51 Navy without removing the cylinder for loading? Continued thanks for your videos.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Don Kenna

Great video, Mike.  It was anxiously anticipated after viewing yours detailing the revolver's fine tuning/range preparation.

But did I hear you state during the round ball loading demonstration that you were loading "30" balls?

Thumb Buster

Well, I guess I don't know how to install a quote and make a statement...yet so I apologize for the pervious submission.

I meant to say...
"Right there convinces me I just have to have one.  Thanks again Mike.  Forgot to add in my previous post that I didn't think the video was too long either.  Please keep them comin'."

Major 2

Quote from: Thumb Buster on June 02, 2015, 08:24:31 PM
Well, I guess I don't know how to install a quote and make a statement...yet so I apologize for the pervious submission.

I meant to say...
"Right there convinces me I just have to have one.  Thanks again Mike.  Forgot to add in my previous post that I didn't think the video was too long either.  Please keep them comin'."

Common  occurrence TB    :)   when you replied , you typed your post within the [/quote] brackets

quote author=Thumb Buster link=topic=55355.msg668308#msg668308 date=1433294671]   the quote  [/quote]   your reply goes after [/quote] brackets.

Mike  how about a video  showing us your private range as you make improvements ...your plans etc.  how may acres ? are you planning any buildings etc. ?

Canoga Joe

Mike, what did you think of the Lee's Gunslinger mainspring you installed (used with the Slix-Shot nipples). Hammer pull feel much lighter? Clearly, no misfires.  If I remember correctly, the Wolff spring you once tried was too light to set off the caps. 

Thank you, by the way, for all your terrific videos and articles!

Coffinmaker

I'm not Bottom Dealin Mike, Haven't stayed in a Holliday Inn in years, nor just last night, but I have set up a ton of CAS Guns.  Over the last couple of years, a pile of Cap Guns.
I have used two different Main Spring replacements.  Years ago, I re-ground factory Main Springs.  Then I decided I was sick and tired of the taste of ground steel and went to after-market replacements.  The two replacements I have used with great success are:
VTI Gunparts offers a nice reduced Main Spring that will give reliable ignition in Cap Guns.  SlixShot Nipples allow reduced Main Springs without blowing the cap off the nipple.
Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter Main Spring (kit) that also gives reliable ignition in Cap Guns.  SlixShot Nipples allow reduced Main Springs without blowing the cap off the nipple.
With both of these after-market springs, there is very little, if any, "Stacking."  Stacking is when the cocking effort increases as the hammer is pulled back.  Factory springs stack terribly.  the reduced springs I have referenced feel the same all the way through the hammer travel.
they also provide very nice lock time and are very difficult to "out run."

Coffinmaker

Bottom Dealin Mike

Love the gunslinger springs!!

100 reliable, but light weight trigger pull with Slix Shot nipples.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com