Reloading a six-shooter on the clock

Started by Sod Buster, November 03, 2005, 07:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sod Buster

I need more experience reloading my six-shooter on the clock.  May SASS stages have a pistol reload.  What do you do?  What is the best method for a single reload?  How is this done efficently?
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Doc Shapiro

A one round reload?  Fire one shot, put the extra in, finish the string.  After the first shot, the empty is right at the loading gate.

Marshal Will Wingam

I can see that on a ruger, Doc, but on an SAA, I just pull it to the loading cock, rotate it around one click and stuff the extra in, close the gate, go to full cock and start in.

If it requires a reload after all 5 have been shot, I rotate it to the one past the empty, eject that one and put a live round in. Then I can see the empty slot when I spin it around. Less chance to have to go through a handfull of spent rounds if you over index it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ozarks Ranger

Like Doc said,  BUT If you have free spin prawls in your rugers open gate, load one, turn backward two, close gate, cock and fire do this at the end of the shooting string so you won't have a live round under the hammer when ya close the gate.

Snake Eyes 
Stand up for whats right , even if your standing alone
Intro To CAS instructor
RO11,
WARTHOG
BOLD 291
SBSS,   RATS #250

Sod Buster

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on November 03, 2005, 11:33:56 PM
I can see that on a ruger, Doc, but on an SAA, I just pull it to the loading cock, rotate it around one click and stuff the extra in, close the gate, go to full cock and start in.

If it requires a reload after all 5 have been shot, I rotate it to the one past the empty, eject that one and put a live round in. Then I can see the empty slot when I spin it around. Less chance to have to go through a handfull of spent rounds if you over index it.

This is the situation (sorry I wasn't more specific).  The reload is AFTER all five are shot.

Silver_Rings

I shoot 5 rounds, then pull up on the cylinder release, carefully raise the cylinder so that the ejector doesn't go over any of the fired cases, slide in a round to the empty chamber and close the cylinder and shoot.  Pretty easy really, even easier if I just open the action and dump all the empties and load the one fresh one.  :)  You would need a top break to do this however instead of one of those old fashion Colt style pistols.  ;)

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Camille Eonich

Open up the loading gate, turn the empty chamber to it, stick a bullet in, close the loading gate and then turn the cylinder four clicks.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Camille Eonich on November 04, 2005, 10:31:24 AM
Open up the loading gate, turn the empty chamber to it, stick a bullet in, close the loading gate and then turn the cylinder four clicks.
What Cammie said.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Joyce (AnnieLee)

I should be shooting that same stage, but I have other obligations.  :(  I like the one Marshal Will posted, where you eject the one after the empty, load it and spin until the empty is under the hammer when you close the gate. Then when I pulled the hammer back, I'd *know* the live round would be ready to go, and wouldn't have to count clicks under pressure.

Then again, I'm SLOW.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Sod Buster

Quote from: AnnieLee on November 04, 2005, 02:15:27 PM
I like the one Marshal Will posted, where you eject the one after the empty, load it and spin until the empty is under the hammer when you close the gate. Then when I pulled the hammer back, I'd *know* the live round would be ready to go, and wouldn't have to count clicks under pressure.

Then again, I'm SLOW.

:D

AnnieLee

Me too!
1. Slow
2. Like the Marshall's method

Since the shoot is on Sunday I will practice both methods on Saturday.

Lars

Some of us have a hard time counting clicks, so, we put a bit of red paint in the bolt ramp of one cylinder and never load that cylinder in normal shooting. THEN when the dreaded "load one on the clock" happens, we simply open loading gate (Rugers), rotate to empty chamber, insert live round, rotate till red painted chamber is just before hammer, close loading gate, cock and fire.

Lars

Sundown Jones 5403 L

Here's my two-cents that has served me for a long, long, time on a method to "reload" after firing the required 5 rounds.  As one stated, if you add it to the cylinder before you fire the 5 rounds, it's not a reload.

Anyway, load you first 5 rounds using brass or nickel cases.  When you go for the 1 reload, use the opposite (either nickel for brass first load or brass for the nickel first load).  It will stand out like a sore thumb and easy to see in the cylinder as you rotate it to cocking postition.  (it aslo saves painting the cyclinder as described above, wuldn't want someone to call and illegal modification on your pistol there days).

I generally use brass rounds in regular shooting and carry all nickel on my belt, that way, I always grab a nickel casing if a reload is required.

Camille Eonich

Quote from: Sundown Jones 5403 L on November 08, 2005, 09:41:03 PM
Here's my two-cents that has served me for a long, long, time on a method to "reload" after firing the required 5 rounds.  As one stated, if you add it to the cylinder before you fire the 5 rounds, it's not a reload.

Anyway, load you first 5 rounds using brass or nickel cases.  When you go for the 1 reload, use the opposite (either nickel for brass first load or brass for the nickel first load).  It will stand out like a sore thumb and easy to see in the cylinder as you rotate it to cocking postition.  (it aslo saves painting the cyclinder as described above, wuldn't want someone to call and illegal modification on your pistol there days).

I generally use brass rounds in regular shooting and carry all nickel on my belt, that way, I always grab a nickel casing if a reload is required.

Gamer!  ;D
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Camille Eonich on November 08, 2005, 09:43:09 PM

Gamer!  ;D
LOL, this is almost too easy.

Lars

(it aslo saves painting the cyclinder as described above, wuldn't want someone to call an illegal modification on your pistol there days).

Those little red dots on the cylinders of my revolvers do get lots of questions. I always make sure to tell them that it is fingernail polish, then, while they are digesting that, I ask what THEY do with THEIR fingernail polish. THAT causes them to loose any thoughts they might have had about "illegal external modification".

You might be surprised what all folks do with their fingernail polish!!

I also checked the SASS, NCOWS and Western3Gun rule books. NONE of them mention it, much less ban it.

I think I am safe for a while.
Lars

Marshal Will Wingam

None of the pards around here paint their fingernails. Maybe in some parts of the country they can, but here it is considered a little weird. The ladies can get away with it, though.

Lars

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on November 10, 2005, 12:41:29 AM
None of the pards around here paint their fingernails. Maybe in some parts of the country they can, but here it is considered a little weird. The ladies can get away with it, though.

You are sticking a little too close to the convential uses for "fingernail" polish. I do get a wide variety of answers when I ask folks what they do with their fingernail polish. Fingernail polish may never challange duct (or is that duck?) tape or bailing wire as an all purpose fixer, but it sure ain't just for fingernails.

Lars

Silver Creek Slim

Fingernail polish is a good cure fer chiggers.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Lars

Many of the women actually use it on their "fishing lures", at least that is what they told me.

I can verify that they were not wearing it on their fingernails those days.

Lars

Marshal Will Wingam

Makes me feel like I live in a barrel. I didn't even know chiggers was something that needed curing. I thought they just bit and ran.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com