Holster collectors??

Started by Slowhand Bob, August 20, 2014, 08:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Anyone here who are collectors of recently modern era Fast Draw or Hollywood style rigs (Walk and Draw Buscadero)?  I have a few old 'junk' rigs that really puzzle me as to their origins.  It is amazing that several rigs were made at such quality as to challenge any of the big name makers in design and skill but yet were not even signed or stamped as to maker?  I am guessing the periods to be '60s, '70s and possibly '80s but who knows??? 

St. George

The late '50's through mid-'60's was the era of the 'Walk and Draw' game and the pinnacle of the Western's popularity on television.

There were some great makers, but about the only ones anybody remembers are Ed Bohlin, Andy Anderson, Arvo Ojala and Rodd Redwing - and that's probably only because they supplied the stars of the Silver Screen.

Had they not done so - and had there not been the gun magazine publicity 'at that time', who knows who'd have been remembered?

Look near the buckle chape and way underneath the holster body or skirt - you 'may' find a marking hidden away in those locations.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Red Cent

Slowhand, Cowboy Fast Draw (Association) is gaining ground. There is three or four clubs in North Carolina. Those rigs would be good contenders for the members/competitors. One of the requirements of the shooter, the gun can be cocked with no resistance holstered.

And those rigs with a cross draw would be a good SASS rig.

Thars gold in them thar hills.

Gordon W. Davis
http://davisleathercompany.com/western/

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Slowhand Bob

On a couple of these the age looks extreme, it looks as if they had been stored in a barn.  Really a shame as they were such nice designs and of apparent high quality with low use.  Guess some folks had more money than than value for what they purchased!  I am afraid that the condition of  a couple of these were beyond salvage but they would likely serve as candidates for in depth autopsy's.  One or two in the worst condition are actually Alfonsos which one would have thought the original owners would have taken more pride in. 

Red, as originally made these could not be used for Cowboy Fast Draw due to the metal skeleton construction.  I think the designs might lend themselves somewhat to the use of rawhide but that would require learning another new technique???  Sometime back I actually posted some photos here of a 'walk and draw' style rig made for the 1911, this was the one that used a reverse construction.  There is little doubt in my mind that this rig would be superior to my Bianchi 'Auto Draw' rig BUT it is one of those super rigs that has no maker ID anywhere.  Due to some age and medical issues we are preparing for a move to the big city soon and most of this will have to go but this mystery rig will go with me and the somewhat famous 'Auto Draw' will have to go.

As I photo these old Hollywood cowboy rigs for Ebay I will link to some of the photos for you guys to see.  If you should recognise any unnamed ones, please chime in.   

St. George

These rigs were usually of good quality - but impractical, once the novelty of 'Fast Draw' wore off, because they weren't something you'd use to hunt with.

Plus the popularity of the TV Western turned from the 'morality play' of the '50's and mid-'60's to the 'anti-hero' of the '70's before dying off altogether in favor of cop dramas.

Gun show tables and flea markets used to be full of them - the only ones bringing any sort of money were made by the 'known' makers, and even those sat a long time.

Today, they're recognized as having been a part of a different era, and thanks to SASS, the 'B-Western' class gives them a new life.

The biggest problem is that today's shooters are built along the 'grand scale' and most of these rigs don't come close to fitting them for actual use, so they almost have to be collected.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Crossdrawnj

Slowhand:
I love these old gunrigs. Growing up during the 60's and 70's watching the old westerns on TV is what got me hooked!  I  own an Arvo Ojala (identical to the rig Scott Glenn wore in Silverado, but RH), an Alfonso rig ( a discontinued A6 model)  and a AA style W&D standard rig that Davis Leather currently offers. I also have a Bianchi 1890 model I purchased over 30 years ago. I have a model 1900 (the belt on this rig is 44": too large for me!) and a complete 45H and 45B I found on ebay (with the tie down leg strap and mag pouch).

I'd love to see some pics of your collection.

Slowhand Bob

I listed my Auto Draw set by Bianchi (with three #30 clip grips) and it should come out tonight.  I really think that production cost must have helped kill some of these old classics as they are at least equal to some of the high end items we purchase now days.  One mystery set that I am keeping for my 1911s is hands down the holster rig I would choose for playing Wil Bunch and this would be at any price.

A couple or so years back I inquired whether the Auto Draw rig would be SASS legal and was told yes BUT not so for the #30 clip grips, they hold the magazines at a very slight angle and that would not be accepted.  With a some help from Trailrider I reworked the clip grip pattern into an easy to assemble AND what should be a SASS WB legal double mag pouch.  Two small rivets, two Line 24 snaps and a home-made tension assembly.

Got to go and list some more stuff for sale.

Trueno

Quote from: St. George on August 20, 2014, 10:12:38 AM
The late '50's through mid-'60's was the era of the 'Walk and Draw' game and the pinnacle of the Western's popularity on television.

Just like electric guitars ruined CW music, color TV ruined Westerns.
(please don't tell Clint Eastwood I said that!)

;D
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

Trueno

Slowhand, lookin' forward to pics!

t
Tell the truth, it's easier to remember.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com