Rotating Hole Puncher how to Repair

Started by Scout53, July 17, 2014, 06:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout53

I recently picked up a C.S. Osborne/made in England rotating hole puncher. It had a little surface rust, which was not much of a problem to clean up.  The problem is that the punches seem to be very dull. I have tried a couple of different leather types and thicknesses and could barely get through the thin oil tanned leather. The much thicker chrome tanned leather was just too much to punch through. The punches are not the type that can be removed. Is there some way to sharpen the punches or am I expecting way too much from this tool. I had hoped that this would be a good tool because I believe that C.S. Osborne is one of the better tool makers and so I am hoping that there is some way to sharpen the punches.
Any advice will be gratefully received.
                                                                                                                           Thank you for your help.

Camano Ridge

No offense, are you sure the tubes can not be removed. Most all of the ones I have seen from Osborne are threaded punch tubes. Yours may be tight because they may have been in a long time. I would try some penetrating oil and maybe vice grips. It will be very cumbersome to try to sharpen with the tubes still in the punch and hard to make sure you are shrpening evenly all around the tube. Can you post a picture of your punch, is there a number on the Osborne punch.

St. George

''Surface rust' would imply that you found a used tool - and there's nothing wrong with that, but to day that it may have been 'well-used'.

The C.S.Osborne tools I've used all had replaceable cutters - they're threaded in tightly.

'Kroil' should penetrate whatever 'seal' that rust and such has caused - allowing for their removal.

I'd locate a source of new replacements, though, then get an E-Z Out and remove the old, because you'll likely crush a few tubes during your removal process.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: St. George on July 17, 2014, 09:57:29 AM
''Surface rust' would imply that you found a used tool - and there's nothing wrong with that, but to day that it may have been 'well-used'.

The C.S.Osborne tools I've used all had replaceable cutters - they're threaded in tightly.

'Kroil' should penetrate whatever 'seal' that rust and such has caused - allowing for their removal.

I'd locate a source of new replacements, though, then get an E-Z Out and remove the old, because you'll likely crush a few tubes during your removal process.

Scouts Out!

+1, St. George is right on here...

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Scout53

Thank you for the responses to my questions.
I have removed the cutters. They were pressed into position and with the aid of a pair of Vise-Grips and a little twisting they all have been removed.
Now the question is: Where will I find this style of cutter and where will I find the lowest prices?
Your replies have made it possible for me to get this far. Thank you for your help.
                                                                                                                            Scout53

Scout53

Quote from: Camano Ridge on July 17, 2014, 09:16:23 AM
No offense, are you sure the tubes can not be removed. Most all of the ones I have seen from Osborne are threaded punch tubes. Yours may be tight because they may have been in a long time. I would try some penetrating oil and maybe vice grips. It will be very cumbersome to try to sharpen with the tubes still in the punch and hard to make sure you are shrpening evenly all around the tube. Can you post a picture of your punch, is there a number on the Osborne punch.

One of the tubes was broken/chipped when I bought the punch. 2 more broke during removal. None of the tubes are threaded.
They all came out much easier than I had, at first, thought they would. It just took a little effort.
I can not find a model number on the tool. Just the name and Made in England. I assume this must be the "Basic/Economy" model.
I might be able to post a photo but I am not the best at working with a computer.
Now the question is finding the tubes and knowing which size to purchase, at the lowest cost of course.
Thank you for your help.
                                                                                                                 Scout53

Don Nix

That sounds like what I call a "sale barn" leather punch. You know the kind that are sold at the horse sales with the mexican made tack and used junk. They retail for about $8 brand new. My advise is to throw it away and save yourself a lot of work and pick up a good rotary punch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com