Need help finding a buckle

Started by 1972, July 05, 2014, 11:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Actually, I need 3 buckles.  I'm looking for good quality "clipped" belt buckles suitable for a 3" gun belt but I want them 2 3/4" or 3".  I'd settle for good quality nickle plated steel, but would kind of like something a bit fancier.  Maybe German Silver or whatever.  Anybody know who sells such a buckle?  Thanks guys.

Forty Rod

Will Ghormley had some buckles made up a few years back that were beautifully designed and made. I have a pair of white bronze oval buckles, but if memory serves he also made rectangular and clipped corner buckles as well, and possibly some round ones.

Do a search for him by name and see what he may still have.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Camano Ridge

Frank, not clear on exactly what you want. Here is a link to Will's Buckles however his are for a 1 1/2" billet and shown on a 1 1/2' billet on a 2 1/2" belt. http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OWCBuckles.html  If you are looking for a buckle with an actual opening of 2 1/2" or 3" wide you will have a tough time finding anything nice unless you go to someone like Montana Silversmith's and have them custom made. If you do a search what you are searching ofr is Center Bar Buckle.

As is obvious I'm pretty green at this guys, so I appreciate your help.  I should also point out that I am not a leathersmith like most of you are.

I'm having a gun belt made for me and I had it in my head that I wanted a 3" wide gun belt, but I was told that if I went any wider than 2 1/2" with the belt the clipped corner buckles commonly available would not look right on the belt.  So I thought I'd solve that problem by just getting a larger clipped corner buckle - but there do not appear to be any.  At least not readily available.

So I guess the best plan is to drop down to a 2 1/2" belt?

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Frank;  The two common solutions to the wide-belt-small-buckle problem are, firstly, taper the ends of the belt, and secondly, to sew "billets" near the ends of the belt to fit your buckle. The latter solution is often called a "Ranger belt", and is the most common form of western gunbelt.

By the way;  I am also looking for large buckles to make myself a kilt belt in the 3 inch range. A circular centre bar buckle of 3 inches would be just right for me
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Camano Ridge

Sir Charles, check these out http://springfieldleather.com/80/Re-enactment-Buckles/

Frank Morgan: To help you better understand your choices here is a picture of a two and a half inch ranger style and two 2 1/2" tapered end belts. I have made 3" also and I am looking for a picture of that one. If you look in some of the old pictures you will see wide belt 3 and even 4" with tapered ends with what look to be 1 1/2" buckles. I will do a second post with more pics.

Red Cent

And you can do a 2 1/2" with a double buckle. The center bar buckle looks great and it plays havoc with your belt edge. The roller buckle makes it easier and doesn't tear up the belt edge. Don't know about period correct but some 50 B western films showed them. Shameless plug.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Camano Ridge

Frank here are some more pictures the last is of the three inch tappered end.
The second picture is not my belt (sorry can't remember who to give credit to) however it shows what a 2 1/2" tappered end with 1 1/2" buckle looks like worn. THe last two pictures are of a three inch tappered end belt with 1 1/2" buckle. Customer was very pleased with the way it looked. Hope this helps give you a better idea.

Quote from: Red Cent on July 06, 2014, 11:17:34 AM
And you can do a 2 1/2" with a double buckle. The center bar buckle looks great and it plays havoc with your belt edge. The roller buckle makes it easier and doesn't tear up the belt edge. Don't know about period correct but some 50 B western films showed them. Shameless plug.

Red Cent; See page 130 of PACKING IRON for an idea for a contoured front section that can be decorated (Perhaps with your SASS star?) or spots.  I did one with cartridge loops across the front. I have seen a "B" western (Kirk Douglas) with a derringer hidden behind a double-chape front.

Camano Ridge;  THX. Just what I was looking for.

Curley Cole

here is one of Wills buckles, he did a special run for me in sterling silver. (also above on the watch chain is one of his "hand of God" crosses. I got one of those in silver too, wish I could have afforded gold..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Red Cent

"Red Cent; See page 130 of PACKING IRON for an idea for a contoured front section that can be decorated..."

Just looked it up. I did not remember that one. Now that is a lot of work!! (Cactus or Yucca fiber?)
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

That "pititado" is beyond me, or most folks who are not a woman from Mexico-del-Norte.  I suggest that a form of decoration we are familiar with be substituted.

Major 2

Curley

The Sterling Clip is a very handsome buckle, I have one of Will's ovals in white bronze I'm very please with.

Here is another from Conchos.com  I've made several ranger belts with these.
when planets align...do the deal !

Dalton Masterson

David Carrico also has a nickel plated buckle that is period correct, but is not fancy. I have built with it with good results.
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com