Messed it up.

Started by Sleepy Floyd, July 01, 2014, 05:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleepy Floyd

Brand new Holsters were a little snug.  Wife suggested to do what she did to her tight holsters.  Use spray silicone in the inside of the holster and cover the guns with a good rag and shove them in.  They fit much better.  However, a side effect is I went from a nice medium brown holster to a dark almost black shade.

Can I re dye them?

Major 2

You can take a light color and darken it with dye.... but you can't really undo too dark....
when planets align...do the deal !

Sleepy Floyd

That makes sense.

I'll live with it.

Marshal Will Wingam

Interesting idea to use spray silicone. It's probably similar to alcohol in how it temporarily softens the leather so it will stretch. Much like wet molding the holsters only quicker. Perhaps the carrier for the silicone will evaporate out of the leather.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Sleepy Floyd

I hope so.  To accelerate that process I'll be placing the holsters, in the sun today.

Major 2

Hmmm...not sure sunlight will do ya  :-\

silicone has a high resistance to ultraviolet (UV) light, I'm thinking all you'll do is shrink the holster back some..
which is what you were trying to cure...

This may be weird , you might try to sweat it .... steam may draw some of the silicone oil out.

dwight55

Just FWIW, . . . never spray anything into an holster or on a belt, . . . unless you are prepared for a change of the scenery involved in said holster or belt.

Loosening up a tight holster is simple, . . . put the gun in a plastic bag, . . . shove it into the holster, . . . leave it over night, . . . take it out, . . . remove the bag, . . . the gun should fit.  If it is still a bit snug, . . . put it in two bags, . . . shove it in, . . . leave it over night.

Works every time, . . . and doesn't alter the scenery.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Major 2

very true Dwight ....but I think he wants sorta un-ring the bell, as it were  :)

Cliff Fendley

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Sleepy Floyd

The bell has been unrung.  Placed the holsters in the Arizona sun for a few hours.  Good as new.

I think it is time I played with some leather and tried my hand at this.

Time to read and learn.

dwight55

Woo-hoo, . . . glad to hear that !!!

The old sun has been doing lots of good things for many, many years, . . . just add one more from this experience.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Sleepy Floyd

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on July 01, 2014, 11:46:50 PM
Interesting idea to use spray silicone. It's probably similar to alcohol in how it temporarily softens the leather so it will stretch. Much like wet molding the holsters only quicker. Perhaps the carrier for the silicone will evaporate out of the leather.

+1, I think over time the silicon will dry and the color will come back, you just need to give it time and patience, you cant rush leather, doing so can cause more damage than you want, leave it be, just stay out of any beauty contest for a while..... ::) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Sleepy Floyd

I have not won a beauty contest in a long, long time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com