Going to Texas

Started by Red Cent, July 01, 2014, 04:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Cent

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice rig. Clean and to the point. Gives "Gone To Texas" a whole new meaning. Good work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Red Cent

Thank you.
One of these days I will learn some tooling. I have a bunch of stamps and the tooling knife but I don't take time to use them. What I need to do is get patterns for the Clint Eastwood rig. Not the leather but the wavy intertwining white thread lines on the belt. Anybody know where I can get them?
SASS29170L

Camano Ridge

Red, if you are refering to the gunfighter stitch also called fishtail by some people, as pictured below. blackriverlaser has acrylic templates for laying out the gunfighter stitch they have sets for hand stitching and for machine sewing. They save quite abit of time in layout. Check out their site Blackriverlaser.com be aware the prices on ebay store are cheaper. Joyce is a great person to deal with.
The template pictured is for hand stitching. The templates are in a veriety of sizes.

El Coyote

I like the look of that rig! So simple and classy. The stitching would complete the look though.

Red Cent

Thanks everyone.

Camano, could I use the template to mark a machine stitch line?
SASS29170L

Camano Ridge

As I said they have a template for machine sewing you lay out your lines using the template then follow th lines when you sew. Here is a link to the sewing machine template, you basicaly use the template to lay out the lines down one side of the belt then go down the other side of the belt with the template to lay out the overlapping curves. Once the lines are laid out follow them on your machine. I designed the template for the hand stitching and Joyce did the one for machine stitching. If you have any questions on how to use it just call Joyce at Black Rivder laser. The templates for 1 1/2', 2 1/2" and 3" belts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUNSLINGER-BELT-STITCH-PATTERN-TEMPLATES-FOR-MACHINE-STITCHING-3-BELT-SIZES-/141024905277

GunClick Rick

That rig looks faster than a black cat tryin to lick his behind with tail up and tongue already out!
Bunch a ole scudders!

David Carrico

That template is nice. At some point in time you will have to make your own patterns to fit what you are doing. There isn't always a pattern out there. You can use a piece of paper and easily make the figure eight pattern. Fold in half and quarters to make sure it is true and even. Use a stitch marker to make your line to follow.

Massive

Yeah, and all the GF stitch is, is intersecting arcs.  You set your setback for the parallel stitches, then you draw an arc that starts at the lower side touches the upper side, and returns to the lower side.  That arc is mirrored on the top side.  CAD software will draw an arc through any 3 points which makes the whole thing a snap.

So you can draw out your belt in CAD, it is just a rectangle, only takes 2 numbers.  Based on experience you know what setback you need to get the buckle and end on.  You also know where the middile of the back is.  You can then divide out how many pattern repeats you want each side, mark those with vertical lines.  Then use the 3 point arc function to lay in the stitches, between your solid stitch lines.  The middle of the back with be a top and bottom arc point.  So that will be a half pattern outside of  centre.

Red Cent

Easy for you to say:).

I will be following some of these suggestions.
SASS29170L

Curley Cole

I lost the ability to work the leather long ago, but when my pard had a special request: an Eastwood rig with no ammo loops, made for a Schofield etc, I went to my pard Paul at RedDog Leather and he came up with this. He also did a knife sheath, shotshell loop and even a bullet holder. I don't know  how he did it, but the work was great.

even tho I can't do the leather work I love to watch what you all come up with, keep up the great works

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Red Cent

SASS29170L

Red Cent

No pattern. Drew the design on the cased leather with a molding tool and a quilting half circle piece of plastic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WRIGHT-EZ-QUILTING-EASY-CIRCLE-CUT-SHARON-HULTGREN-9-CIRCLE-ACRYLIC-TEMPLATE-/221503760398?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3392a7280e

Need to find a pencil/pen to fit the slots. Stacked tolerances will show sooner or later.
SASS29170L

Camano Ridge

Looks like that worked just fine. Nice belt.

Red Cent

SASS29170L

Massive

Yeah, you got it.  Nice piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com