Cawfee,Tea,(SweeTea) and summertime grub fer JULY

Started by Major E A Sterner, June 30, 2014, 09:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pony express

2400 is also good for rifle cast bullet loads at about 1600-1800fps, but may not work if I tried to download to 1300 for CAS /GAF rifle shooting, but I can get by with the Unique, and maybe the Power pistol for that. Half a pound of Bullseye will make a lot of .38 loads at 3.5gr, and if I have to, I can load my .45s with 777. Guess I'll get by some way.

Loaded the riding mower on the truck and went to the range work day, weeds were almost too tough but I somewhat knocked them down. Probably look better after the next time I mow them. Checked another gunshop on the way home, no powder joy there. 3 cans of Reloader 15 and an 8lb of imr4350. But he did have some neat stuff, had a Ruger Hawkeye, never seen one before in person. At $2500 I won't likely be seeing it outside his shop either. Also a Navy Cadet type Rolling block in 50-45. Neat little gun, from the size of the action, you'd think it was a .32, but open it up and it's a .50 cal! Only weighed about 5-6lb, probably thumps a bit when you shoot it, even though it's only 45gr powder. I knew about those before, but always thought they were built on a larger action.

Major 2

Kinda feel for ya Buck....

Had a guy to lift a large Oak up (Trim) last year, healthy tree but the canape' was over the front of the house.... He also did a Sycamore
in the back....he brought his chipper and had also bid to stump grind two Sycamore stumps we had downed after the barn fire in "10".

So he wraps the day, just before I get home, and the stumps are still there  ???, seems he bid the job, but he himself does not have the stump grinder, he sends another guy  ::)
He wanting his payment , and I have the check written, So I asked when the guy will be there, he tells me "he's not sure "
The other guy is  backed up some.... some two weeks ..he neglected to mention that !  The other guy did finally show but I was Gettin' a little p%ssed about it.

Scored some Red Dot, but can't find any Trail Boss in stock.
when planets align...do the deal !

Delmonico

2400 is a shotgun powder of sorts, works in 410.     Named 2400 because early experiments let the black powder 22 WCF round go 2400 fps with jacketed bullets which lead to the 22 Hornet, or so the story says. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

pony express

Just back from the city fireworks show. Real nice big show, there's a professional fireworks company based here that always does it for free, the weekend after the Fourth. Number one Daughter is still afraid of fireworks. Even brought her brand new pink shooting muffs, but after the third or fourth big one that went up, she spent the rest of the show curled up in my lap hiding her face. She was all excited to be there up to the first few booms...Oh well. Noise and flashing lights didn't bother the little one in the least.

Major 2

Had great steak last night.... it was my Daughters 25 birthday it happens her favorite place, about 1 hour drive SW
over in Haynes City. Course if your visiting the Mouse over on the other side of the county from me, you only about 20-25 minutes away.
Manny's Steak & Chop House .... Line was out the door, I'm told it always is, prices are very reasonable compared to
Charlie's , Ruth Chris local Orlando tourist pricing.
Decor is transportation inspired .... old signs , 50's Auto & 60's muscle car era nostalgia & tunes.....
The steak is every bit as first rate as the high glitz touristy destination steak houses here in town.

Arcey

Mornin'.

Weather's the usual July stuff in the lower right hand corner.

Thinkin' the 45-70s I loaded what won Long Range Rifle, twice, it Roundup was powered by Unique. Don't remember if the bullets were Lees or Lymans. Experimentin' with the moulds it the time. Shot by someone else 'n yers truly in different years.

Went ta Ruth's Chris up the street in downtown Pembroke awhile back ta get a gift certificate. Looked nice. Gotta gift certificate myownself sometime later. Reviews been kinda wishy-washy. Never went. Other nice places about. Happy ta hear ya hadda good time, M2.

Fixed a small servin' of grits. Food Truck Rodeo taday. Don't wanna be full. Kinda hope The Coop ain't there. Wanna sample sumthin' new 'n if they're there I prolly won't.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Ruth Christ is over priced - and someone else picked up my bil

Coffee is up

Almost a week with the 2 dogs... The smaller one Raina was at the Vet's  and was given a aggressive parasite control treatment and treated for mange. Now on antibioitic. She is improving by the hour. The larger one Arwyn seems to have responded to the home treatment.
Both are more playful and mischievous. They eat like horses and of course that means they crap that much too.  I have been working with simple commands like sit- NO and kennel (or go to bed). They are responding to given names and my palethic attempt to whistle.

Tempature is cooler this morning may attempt to mow.

I bought some 4195 i believe not in front of me now. I used  for .30-30 with gc hardcast bullet from Montana bullet. They were better than any off the shelve i had used. I was going to try it in .45-70 but haven't yet. I did enjoy the Trailboss in that big straitwall case with a 405 grain cast bullet on it. Even more than Black Powder

Made Fish Taco's last night topped of with Peach salsa from the neighboring farm stand
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee.

Got a new PTO shaft fer the Bush Hog. Whacked down some weeds yesterday.

.15" of rain last night.
'Tis 68 and partly cloudy. High of 78.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

pony express

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on July 13, 2014, 08:59:10 AM

Got a new PTO shaft fer the Bush Hog. Whacked down some weeds yesterday.

Slim
Need to do some of that myself, but the brush hog's got a busted blade, and I can't seem to find the extra couple of hours to make the drive to get parts.

Texas Lawdog

Thanks for the Cawffee this morning. I slept in this morning. Moose took Victoria to the Park while I slept. It feels like a 2 pot morning.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

The Trinity Kid

Mornin' y'all.

We seem to have a rather large fire to the south of us.  last I read, at 2800 acres in under 48 hours.  Not the fastest blaze in the world, but it was enough to displace two entire towns.  Igo and Ono are sitting in a school gymnasium.  Fortunately, it's only something like 20 people. ::) 

Have church this morning, might try an convince my amigo that he has too much gas in his tank, 'cause I'll be bored the rest of the afternoon.  may not work, but it's worth a shot. ;) 

I wish I had your problem PE.  as it it, our lawn gets watered about once a week due to this drought.  we mowed it once about two months ago, haven't had to since.  Of course, it is only partially green...  :-\

Y'all keep cool.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Major 2

My point exactly , Ruth Chris is pricey, I've seen the menu,   :o  I'd heard it was good but can't testify to my own experience.
Charlie's on the other hand, I've been twice, first on my $$$, second was treated , it's not ever going to be haunt though.

There used to be a Place called the Kissimmee Steak Co..... locals KNEW it was good, and it was far enough from the mouse as not get the
Tourist trap prices...but then the Tourists found it , and BANG prices when up & up.... last time I went was years ago , no drinks and spent $100 for the two of us ...
The recession and lofty $$$ killed the local trade and quality faded ....It closed doors for good....

There tons of the big chain, Logans, Cattleman, Outbacks Etc.  :-\around here ,  and/or the entry level  ::) Quincy's & Sizzlers .... which I avoid.

We had good time, though the drive, wait , dinner and drive home was near about 5 hours  :o course that's quality time with family  :).

litl rooster

TK i have a feeling it will be a long Fire season there in NoCal
Mathew 5.9

The Trinity Kid

You called it, Roo.  Fire dept. has been on high alert for fire, since about... oh, April of 2012. :-\  yeah.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Four-Eyed Buck

Been busy today.Got laundry done, son came over and we got the organ and a dining room table out of here.Room! The guy showed about 12:30 to spray the deck, got about half way done and a rain storm came in :P >:( If he'd a showed this morninbg, he could've had it done and mostly dry before the rain hit. Next window is Wednesday, plus thge deck sucked up more paint than anticipated, need another gallon to get it done ::) :( :P
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

El Peludo

Good Sunday night, y'all.  I just sat down here with a warmed over cuppamud.  I'll make the fixin's for the AM gang.

Been an interesting week here.  Weather is strange with a capital STRANGE; Most of the week, it has been mostly cloudy, and relatively cool for the middle of July, high temps running in the mid to high nineties with lows overnight as low as the mid seventies.  Then Friday afternoon, it came a clearing and some breeze, and the humidity that had been in the 50% range dropped dramatically; Saturday dawned clear, and the temps went to 105 to 108.  Today, it got to 111 officially, and at this hour, 2340 it is still 101.  Humidity is back, and it has been sprinkling some, here and there - supposed to be just like that all week.

Beyond that, Granddaughter Bella, who is ten going on twentyfive (she seems to think) stays with us from six to six every day, and she has been spending a lot of time with the kids next door, a few years younger than her, but the only kids around - until this past week.  We had some new folks move in down the cul-de-sac, and they have a few , the oldest boy is eleven or twelve, and they have cousins a few streets away in that same age bracket, all boys.  Well, suddenly, Miss Bella has become a "princess" and is holding court daily in our front yard, and there are all of these young men riding around on their bikes and being daring - until the old man show his face out there, then the exodus reminds me of walking into a dark room in a roach infested building and turning on a light.  I commented to Bella's Mom about that, and she said that Bella says they are terrified of me.  I don't know why, but i think I'll cultivate the situation a bit longer.   ;D ;D ;D ;D  I've never had a girl to look after, but I have friends who have, and some of the tales they tell are hilarious.  Several are shooters, and a few have made their hobby rather apparent to their daughter's suitors, with usually amusing results.  One Gent was real casual about things, but made sure his baby girl introduced her new interest, and told Daddy goodbye when she went out with a new guy, and he would always be in his gun shop where he would be working with some piece of heavy artillery or scary looking cutlery on the bench.  One evening, he had asked me to come and examine and sharpen a couple of long knives he had picked up - he had a hard time with sharpening some things.  When I got there, he had a piece of one and a half inch rope hanging from a rafter, and wanted to try a Lynn Thompson Cold Steel move on it with one or both of those knives.  I had finished one, and it took a beautiful edge, and I was working on the other one when we heard the door from the house open up.  He picked up the blade I had finished and turned and chopped that rope just as they walked into the shop, severed it right in two; I thought that boys eyes were going to fall on the floor, and that he might wet himself.  She hated it, but her friends were quite nice and very polite to all of us.  I'm not going to do anything like that, but the idea is tempting, just the same.  In this day and age, I am too security conscious to expose myself like that.

Anyhow, I thought I'd check in and brag about the weather a bit

Later.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Major 2

;D good stuff Harry... keep them in line  ;
Thanks for the Joe

Weather here is the same daily...mid-nineties, Thunder storms near about or on us everyday.

Four-Eyed Buck

Thanks for the coffee,EP ;)

71 and cloudy here.Didn't sleep worth a darn last night :P
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Arcey

Keepin' 'em guessin' ain't always easy. Good ta see ya, EP.

Moanin'.

Ain't no artifishal weather inside. The condensin' unit ain't runnin'. Suppose it's gonna cost money ta make it. Hope help can get here taday. If not I'll be burnin' a lot of gas.

Along them lines, too hot ta enjoy the rodeo yestitty. There early but other folks done got ta the shady tables 'fore us. Hadda new vendor I'd liked ta had tried but all his stuff was hot. Coop was there but their stuff's hot too. Went with a taco. Fat lady didn't even feel like hittin' Twisted Sisters for a cup cake. We decided ta let it go next month. September'll prolly be better. Take a wait 'n see approach.

BTW, Ruth's Chris weren't there.........................................
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Haha

Thanks for the coffee EP

Had enough rain yesstiday evening to make the air right moist. It suppose to be cooler next day r 2. I am having my doubts.

Just had the big girls out. They are wrassling each other now.

Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com