USFA SN Date Question

Started by CptEnglehorn, June 25, 2014, 11:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptEnglehorn

Hello, I have a nickel plated 7.5 in 45 colt, Barrel is marked US Pt FA MFG Co., sn118946, does anyone know if this is a gun that was assembled in the US with uberti parts, or if it was sent over as a whole piece in the white. the Barrel is marked uberti on the bottom, and the cylinder has italian proof marks. Any information is much appreciated.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Capt,
I was hoping that GaryG would jump in on this one.
I would guess, and it is just a guess, that your U.S. "Patent" gun was probably imported assembled and in the white.  USFA started out as USPFA in 1993.  Sometime in 1994(?) the word "patent" was dropped from the name as a result of the threat of legal action from Colt Mfg.  That would place your gun somewhere in the first year of production.  The first guns turned out by USFA were  imported in the whole.  At some point they started importing them as parts and doing the assembly in the US.  I have no idea how many guns were imported in the whole or for what length of time.
That being said, once the whole guns were imported, USFA would have had to disassemble them here for the purpose of finishing them.  Once finished they would then have been reassembled to USFA standards so the issue of imported in the whole vs. imported as parts becomes somewhat of a moot point.
It would be nice if we could assemble some sort of a "history" for USFA.  Exactly how long where they USPFA and on what date was the name change to USFA made?  When did they stop importing guns from Uberti in the whole and start importing as parts?  When, exactly, was USFA able to make a legitimate claim of "all US made?"  Maybe someday someone will turn out a book documenting the history of USFA single actions as has been done with Great Western Arms Co.  We can only hope!
Out of curiosity, does your gun have the Uberti style hammer block safety?  If not, is the hammer channel in the frame cut to accommodate  the hammer block?
I look forward to seeing more of you on the USFA CSS forum!
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

CptEnglehorn

Hello, thank you for the response, yes it does have the hammer block safety and the notch in the frame, the gun came to me used and somewhat neglected, it is currently with Jim Alaimo of nutmeg sports getting ivory and an action job, I requested that he replace the hammer, as the safety was in the way, unfortunately the prior owner fired alot of blanks without cleaning the gun and slightly pitted the barrel. Jim replaced the barrel as a courtesy, im curious at how it looks now, I will for sure be keeping the barrel as I like the US PT FA MFG CO markings, USFA guns have started to grow on me a bit, I wish I had got a few when they were in operation.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Let us know what it looks like when you get it back from Jim Alaimo.  I got some ivory grips from him a few years back and he was a pleasure to deal with.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Capt. Englehorn,
One more question!  Did Jim Alaimo happen to mention where he is getting the replacement parts from.  Specifically, is he using Uberti parts or is he fitting Colt or USFA parts?  Just curious...
CJF

CptEnglehorn

Ill definitely post some pictures when the gun comes home, On the barrel im not sure what he used to replace the original, for the hammer I believe he may be using a later USFA hammer, possibly even a colt hammer. Im curious as well.

GaryG

I think you'll find he's using USFA parts to include the barrel, hammer, and internals.  Also, 3rd gen Colt hammer won't fit

CptEnglehorn

Quote from: GaryG on June 30, 2014, 09:14:30 PM
I think you'll find he's using USFA parts to include the barrel, hammer, and internals.  Also, 3rd gen Colt hammer won't fit

You've peaked my interest a hair higher, now im even more curious to see how itll turn out. If it werent for the shape I got the pistol in and that weird hammer block safety that to me got in the way, id probably have left it alone, the hammer was the most unappealing thing, it didnt look right. Theres a rodeo I sent up at the same time, SN G101, still has the case colored hammer, not sure if I want to shoot that one, even though thats what I got it for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com