serial number request/markings

Started by KEN S, March 02, 2014, 08:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEN S

Hi Two Flints,  I'm probably shooting in the dark, but just in case.
   Is there any record of a Burnside Spencer Carbine, SN 1938, with a number 328 stamped in the wood near the butt? 
   It  has the stabler cutoff so it probably went back to Springfield for cleanup.  The markings are half buffed off like all the rest of the Springfield cleaned guns I've seen.  Condition is VG plus, and bore is almost prefect.  A great shooter. 

And I've asked before, does anyone have any numbers or markings on your Spencer?  post them and we can compare.
   Thanks...Ken

Two Flints

Hi Ken S,

The SRS books I have only list original Spencers manufactured by the Spencer Repeating Arms Company.  Spencer Burnside serial #s are not included in the SRS listings for Spencer Firearms.

The Burnside Company manufactured 30,502 Spencers with the first 16, 008 made without the Stabler Cutoff; the remaining Burnisde Spencers WERE manufactured WITH the Stabler Cutoff.  The Burnside Spencers were manufactured and delivered too late to be used during the Civil War.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

KEN S

Thanks anyway Two Flints.   I know it was a Springfield cleanup....I was hoping you'd say it belonged to Custer.
   well,  it COULD HAVE!......   
      Nice shootin' iron though.....Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com