Author Topic: Slip Hammering ? ? ? ? ?  (Read 10114 times)

The Arapaho Kid

Slip Hammering ? ? ? ? ?
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:36:42 AM »
I just received the latest issue (January 2005) of the SASS handbook.  There's been a few changes made.  In reading through it I came across (in the safety part) a short writeup about "fanning".  Ok...This is understand.  But there is something in there about "slip hammering".  That I don't understand.  Just what is that?  Is this something I should learn?  Is there any danger in this?  Can I benefit from learning how to do this?  Or is this one of those things that's SASS legal, but no one does it?

Offline Ozarks Ranger

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Slip Hammering ? ? ? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:11:10 AM »
If you shoot traditionalist style and are right handed pistol pointed at target, trigger pulled, left thumb cocks pistol and slips off( Slip hammering) not dangerous as muzzle is pointed downrange and shooter has two hands on the pistol

Snake Eyes
Stand up for whats right , even if your standing alone
Intro To CAS instructor
RO11,
WARTHOG
BOLD 291
SBSS,   RATS #250

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 09:48:39 AM »
Snake Eyes is telling you right.  With slip hammering your figger doesn't come off of the trigger.  The gun is fired by cocking and releasing the hammer.

Most of the top shooters will tell you that they don't do it.  It's difficult to maintain enough control over the gun to avoid misses. 
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:02:11 PM »

Offline Book Miser

• Very Active Citizen
  • Hotheaded Polack
    • Jefferson Outlaws website
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 09:59:10 AM »
Whether or not your accuracy is affected by slip-hammering depends on how much you practice.

Same is true for shooting duelist: how far your point of aim changes between rounds depends upon how much your hand moves when cocking. Which depends on the fit between your revolver and your hand, and PRACTICE.

FANNING would be difficult to do, except in a hip-shooting position. Have a look at the photos of Ed McGivern and you'll not see him fanning in an isoceles position.

Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 10:30:34 AM »
Really fought with myself over this 'n maybe I ought ta keep my mouth shut, but it's sincere.  Prolly gonna be sorry.

Kid, forget ya read anything about slip-hammerin'.  Work on the basics 'n get yer speed up, safely, while yer havin' fun.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »
Arcey I think that's excellent advice.  Slip hammering CAN really mess you up.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 11:01:22 AM »
Just hope it's took right, Cammy.

I'll use it dependin' on the target set 'n sequence.  But - last stage at Thunder in the Brush was just dumpin' two pistols on two targets.  A miss would have killed ya so I used the trigger 'n made sher I hit 'em each time.  Kindah embarrassin' when the RO sang out '9.38 - Clean' but that wuz a pile better'n seein' a 17.38 on the sheet if I'd ah shot quicker 'n missed a couple.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 11:20:12 AM »
Ok...lemme see if I got this right.  Slip hammering is basically when you shoot with your off hand supporting the shooting hand...on other words a two handed grip?  You pull the trigger back, then you use your left thumb (for a right handed shooter) and you pull the hammer back, then release it and the gun fires?  Right?  I can see where this method would speed one up on a pistol stage.  I have done this in a match, but I didn't have the trigger pulled back.  I did the two handed grip, cocked the pistol with my left thumb, then pulled the trigger.  Nobody told me about pulling the trigger back before cocking!

But...now I shoot in Gunfighter class, so I won't be doing any slip hammering there, but I do thank you folks for the briefing on this.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 11:21:13 AM »
Arcey, thing that I have seen happen to people is that they decided to try out slip hammering and then it gets to be habit and they forget how to actually squeeze the trigger when they need to.

Works the other way too.  We have a very fast shooter here that does nothing but slip hammer.  He wouldn't even shoot pistols in the team match at Star City because the targets were so small and you needed to be squeezin off shots.  It was the afternoon of the first day of the match and he didn't want to get hisself out of sync in the middle of the match.   ;D
― Clint Eastwood

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 11:24:54 AM »
Really fought with myself over this 'n maybe I ought ta keep my mouth shut, but it's sincere.  Prolly gonna be sorry.

Kid, forget ya read anything about slip-hammerin'.  Work on the basics 'n get yer speed up, safely, while yer havin' fun.

I thank you, sir for your advice here.  You talk....I listen!

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:54:04 AM »
Good topic Arapaho.  :)
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 12:03:07 PM »
Arcey, thing that I have seen happen to people is that they decided to try out slip hammering and then it gets to be habit and they forget how to actually squeeze the trigger when they need to.

Works the other way too.  We have a very fast shooter here that does nothing but slip hammer.  He wouldn't even shoot pistols in the team match at Star City because the targets were so small and you needed to be squeezin off shots.  It was the afternoon of the first day of the match and he didn't want to get hisself out of sync in the middle of the match.   ;D

Darlin', I n'er wanna git that specialized.......  rather be a General Practitioner.

Kid, it wuz my pleasure.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 12:26:54 PM »
Well now that I know what slip hammering is...I don't think I'll need to learn to do it properly because I shoot in Gunflinger....oooops!....Gunfighter Class now.  I chose Gunfighter because of the challenge of shooting with both hands.  I also figure that there are less people shooting in that class and maybe, just maybe in my next shoot there'll be a new guy shooting there and I might just be a little faster on the stages than he is?  Then I can get my backside off the bottom of the barrel!

At my last shoot in Colorado...I shot in Gunfighter and took first place.  My one, very brief moment of glory!  I was the only one shooting in that class, so first place was a shoe in!  ;D

Offline Stump Water

• I ain't gonna worry about it.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 07:09:35 PM »
Truth be known, "Slip hammerin'" is when ya miss tha nail and bust yer thumb.

Profanity usually follows.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 01:04:16 AM »
Truth be known, "Slip hammerin'" is when ya miss tha nail and bust yer thumb.

Profanity usually follows.

LOL!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Book Miser

• Very Active Citizen
  • Hotheaded Polack
    • Jefferson Outlaws website
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2005, 10:29:05 AM »
Arapaho, there's a pard called Walker Colt who shoots gunfighter, and he usually beats the backside off everyone else in the match. He is the current MD state champion.

Bugler & webmaster for the Jefferson Outlaws
SASS customer # 54876, ROII
PWDFR #119
POOP
...tell it to the chaplain

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 10:53:59 AM »
Book:  Up until this past September I always shot Classic Cowboy, but at the shoot in Colorado I decided to shoot Gunfighter...just to try it out and see if I liked it.  Well....I took first in it, but then...I was the only one shooting in that class!  My one, very brief, moment of glory!   ;D  I liked shooting Gunfighter because of the challange of shooting with both hands and I will continue to shoot Gunfighter.  Being at that "ripe old age" I can shoot Senior Gunfighter.  Here again...less competition and the possibility of someone being slower than me.

Offline E.R.Beaumont

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 07:43:31 PM »
Greetings and Salutations to one and all.

'Rap, Pard the other Pards/Pardettes have told you just about right.  It is a valid technique, but probably an advanced one.  If one has practiced, and is comfortable with the technique it can be deadly fast on big close dump targets.  However, it has more risk of a miss, or other fumble.

I am of the opinion that it can be one more tool in your kit.You may never use it as a shooting technique, but it is good to know how.  Yup if you shoot gunfighter you will never use it in a match.

Elmer Kieth discribes a different hold, and then tells about a real gunfighter he knew in his youth who won a gunfight with it.  I think it is in "Hell I Was There." But it might be "Six Guns"  It is a "Period Correct" way to do it, the old timers did it, I just don't know if it was the winners.

Just my two bits in the kitty.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com