Need to feed my Spencer addiction!

Started by treebeard, February 05, 2014, 04:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treebeard

Just received a new in box Armi Sport Spencer in 56-50. So far have not found a vendor with any Starline
brass designed for these. I only have 50 cases of Starline so I will play with the cut down 50-70 I use in
my original M1865 and see how these work.

major

Treebeard
From what I have been told the cut down 50-70 cases don't work in the Armisport Spencers.  You need the brass made by Starline or 10 X.  YMMV
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

32-20

I use both starline and cut down 50-70 brass in my Taylor 56-50. Have had no problems with the cut down 50-70's.

major

Quote from: 32-20 on February 05, 2014, 04:44:00 PM
I use both starline and cut down 50-70 brass in my Taylor 56-50. Have had no problems with the cut down 50-70's.

As I remember it on the 50-70 cases the heads needed to be turned down because they were too thick to allow the breach to close.  It has been a long time since I was involved in this but that is how I remember it.  Sorry if I gave you some bum info.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PvtGreg

I posted a bunch on this topic, including tools I used and made.  Two Flints may have these posted on his SORI post, but try searching on my name.

I love 32 ga brass I made 100 two years ago and use them for my SASS shooting, the followed by .348 Winchester.

Some one here stated they used 50-70 - I've never seen 50-70 brass with small enough rims.  {shrug}

PvtGreg

Herbert

I second the use of cut down 32ga brass shot shells,as they also allowe the use a extra 5gr of BP, with this you can duplicate the original 56-50 rim-fire cartridge performance

treebeard

I was able to cycle a few Ten-X 56-50 loads i had left over and also some dummy loads using the Buffalo Arms
cut down 50-70 brass for originals that I use in my original Spencer 1865. Will need to go to the range to
verify that I am one of the lucky ones that my AS will  cycle a variety of brass. I will have to wait till the
snow melts down here a little . Tfhe Ten-X used Starline brass.

Thanks to all for your input and help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com