*** Photo Added *** My quest for best O.A.L.

Started by Ibgreen, January 31, 2014, 06:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibgreen

Finally got the reloading press out of the box, dies installed etc.  I knew that the ten-x rounds were too short for my NM rifle causing the action to lock up.  I decided to make up 7 dummy rounds with a OAL of 1.6".  I am using some smith slugs that I obtained sized to .517 (my gun slugs .515).  I loaded all 7 dummy rounds and prepared myself for disappointment...............it fed and cycled all 7 like warm butter.  I am one happy man!

Two Flints

IbGreen,

How about load information . . . any more details about your OAL . . . photos of the cartridges?

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

treebeard

In addition to the info that Two Flints requested could you tell us the specific Smith bullet you used?
I have a couple Smith moulds and one of them might work.

Ibgreen

I plan on working up a load based on A certain pard's 1868 Springfield spencer ;D next I am using starline brass.  I do not have the mold.  I purchased an inventory of lead and black powder supplies.  Here is a photo of my dummy round beside a ten-x round.  The smith slug is also shown.

(Photo added by Two Flints)

1868 Spencer NM rifle

Ibgreen

Quote from: Two Flints on January 31, 2014, 06:14:13 PM
IbGreen,

How about load information . . . any more details about your OAL . . . photos of the cartridges?

Thanks,

Two Flints

I am only to the "dummy round" stage.  I plan on using Goex 2f when I load a batch of live rounds.  I wanted to address the failure to feed issue before I develop an optimal load.  I am eyeballing the Moose mold Smith .518 mold.  Anyone use this in their Spencer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com