Spencer Combination Tool

Started by djossi@yahoo.com, January 31, 2014, 06:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djossi@yahoo.com

I came across a "Spencer Combination Tool" at Lockwood Mfg. (see picture below).  Two quick questions:

• Was such a tool issued with each carbine or rifle?

• Was it just a folding screwdriver or did it serve other purposes?

Thanks!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

major

I use my Spencer for reenacting and I always carry a small Swiss Army knife with a straight slot screw driver tip in my pocket.  This way if I get a jam and need to take the lever assembly out I can do it quick and easy.  The knife part also comes in handy around the campsite.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

treebeard

I believe you are talking about Lodgewood  Mfg --Good people that I have dealt with for over 20 years. They sell original and
reproduction parts and firearms mainly in the Civil War era .

jsmosby

A great reference for gun tools is the book GUN TOOLS THEIR HISTORY AND IDENTIFICATION, Shaffer, Rutledge, Dorsey.  See pages 91-92 for a discussion about the Spencer tools.  Oops, should have re-read the earlier posts and links :-[  Well, it's still a good reference.

Two Flints

Try this web site:

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.com/09_guns_parts/guns_parts_02.htm

He lists several combination tools.  I purchased an original front stock from years a few years back.

Great communication and ships quickly.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

djossi@yahoo.com

Two Flints,

Talk about a small world. Until recently, a Google search for a Spencer forend would lead you to McPheeter's. The first time that link came up I got all excited because I'd been searching for one for some time (I still am). Unfortunately, it had already been sold. And now I know who beat me to it!

When I saw your response to Rim Fire's post searching for various Spencer parts, I clicked on your link to McPheeter's to see if, by some small chance, they might have gotten any more Spencer forends. No joy once again, but I saw that they did have several Sharps forends. Given that a number of Sharps parts are interchangeable with Spencer parts, I called to see if one of those might work for me. Unfortunately, he told me that they will not work on the Spencer. Not only that, he told me the one Spencer forend that he had sold, evidently to you, was the only one that he has run across and that he is not aware of any other possible sources.

Any suggestions that you or anyone else might have as to where I could track down an original Spencer forend would be deeply appreciated.

Dave J.

Two Flints

Dave,

Just do what I did . . . keep checking online Civil War Antique dealers, auction web sites, etc., and do a Google Search periodically.  Also check eBay. Poulin and Amoskeag Gun Auctions . . .

It's a "hit or miss" proposition most of the time.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk