Spencer Serial Number

Started by smith693, January 24, 2014, 11:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith693

Actually found a Spencer in a local shop, pretty beat up and the serial number is 23627. Mot sure what it is but the serial number is 23627.

It had a Stabler Cutoff , which I found pretty neat, because it figures in the battle we are researching.

Can someone give me a ballpark range on the value of one?

Two Flints

Hi Smith693,

Can you tell if its a carbine or rifle?  Can you read anything on the top of the receiver, I know, I know . . . it's old and rusted but it would with serial # identification.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

smith693

pretty sure it is a carbine, had a friend check the serial number in comparison to what was on tag and the numbers matched.

I can sure find out anything you need by calling over there, if you'll tell me what to ask.

Two Flints

Is there any marking like M1865 forward  of the top of the receiver . . . can any company markings be read at the top of the receiver????

Any chance to see photos of the top of the receiver and with the action open exposing the breechblock?

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

smith693

Yeah I can probably get back over there after while and get those.

Two Flints

Hi Smith693,

Try to get some good photos of the Spencer Carbine, and please don't have it on a white background . . . a gray color would be fine as a background that way the exposure meter on your camera won't get fooled and give you too dark a photo.  Especially, get photos of the top and sides of the receiver, and with the action open to see the breechblock assembly.

You can send the photos to be, if you'd like, and I will post them for you.  Send them to fsgrand2@fairpoint.net

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

smith693

Quote from: Two Flints on January 24, 2014, 12:25:55 PM
Hi Smith693,

Try to get some good photos of the Spencer Carbine, and please don't have it on a white background . . . a gray color would be fine as a background that way the exposure meter on your camera won't get fooled and give you too dark a photo.  Especially, get photos of the top and sides of the receiver, and with the action open to see the breechblock assembly.

You can send the photos to be, if you'd like, and I will post them for you.  Send them to fsgrand2@fairpoint.net

Thanks,

Two Flints

Haven't been able to get over there yet, will try this week.

Serial Number come back to anything?

rfd

I have a early Spencer carbine S# 12484 that has been converted to 50-56 and was wondering if there was any listing of this carbine.  I am presently shooting it in the N-SSA.  I was kind of interested in its history.
"Using the past to promote the future"

Two Flints

rfd,

I assume you read my disclaimer :)

The closest serial # to your Spencer Carbine 12484 in my SRS books is 12465, a Spencer Carbine issued to a member of Company D, 6th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, in 1864 (no day, month listed).

Hope this is of some help.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery