Paint Removal

Started by djossi@yahoo.com, December 08, 2013, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djossi@yahoo.com

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on removing spray paint from barrel and receiver.  Unfortunately, I don't know if it's water-based or oil-based paint.  I'll start out in the hopes that its water-based and only tried the harsher methods if it proves necessary.

Thanks!

Two Flints

Dave,

Photos????  I'd like to see what you have to work on.  Try some steel wool first, 000 for starters to see how firm the paint is on the metal.  Rub the metal with the steel wool to see if it comes off easily . . . need to see photos.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

djossi@yahoo.com

Two Flints,

The reason I asked the question is I'm trying to decide whether to keep this rifle or not. I'm still in a position to return it to the seller. A key factor in that decision is the difficulty involved in removing the paint and the damage it might cause to the rifle. The only reason I'm willing to consider keeping this rifle is the fact that its serial number, 4980, is grouped with a series of serial numbers of rifles issued to the 72nd Indiana (see below). If it was issued to the 72nd, it has considerable historical significance, at least in my humble opinion. There are other factors that I will have to consider in making my decision:

• I've asked Wayne Gagner, who now runs the Springfield Research Service, if any information on 4980 has been added to the SRS database.
    • If the serial number has not been added, my only option for determining the unit to which the rifle was issued is to do research at the National Archives when I return to Maryland in January (I'm in Florida right now). There's no guarantee that I will be able to locate any information on the rifle. If my gamble doesn't pay off (in other words, neither Gagner nor the National Archives positively identifies the serial number), I'll never know for sure if it went to the 72nd Indiana.
    • Would I be better off waiting for another rifle to come on the market that can be positively identified as being issued to the 72nd Indiana or another unit that played such a significant role in Spencer history? My concern is that such a rifle would be price significantly higher than the $2000 I'll pay if I keep this rifle.
    • My interest in the rifle is purely historical. I'm not concerned about its potential resale value as I intend to keep it permanently. That should make paint removal easier as I'm not as concerned about retaining the patina as I would be if I planned on selling it. Obviously, I would prefer to preserve it, but that's not a high priority.
    • In addition to the effort involved in removing the paint and the damage that might cause,  I'm concerned that the paint was applied to cover a considerable amount of rust.
    • If I keep it and discover that it's too difficult to remove the paint, my only option will be to pay to have it restored.

As to the paint, whoever did it really laid it on thick. In doing so they managed to create a large number of drips that are significantly thicker than the rest of the painted area.

[/list]

Two Flints

Dave,

So these are your options -

Wait to hear from Wayne with more definite info on serial # 4980 . . .

See if your own research will give you the information you are looking for . . .

Have the rifle professionally restored by someone . . .

Return it to seller . . .

Wait for another Spencer rifle to come along issued to the 72nd (would need an exact match with SRS information or letter stating so . . .

Keep me advised on what's going on . . . and best wishes with your search.

What other units would you consider that were issued Spencer Rifles?  So you're not locked into the 72nd?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Blair

Dave,

Does the stock and forearm appear to have been painted or varnished at the same time as the metal parts? Like the gun was fully assembled when this paint or varnish was applied?
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

St. George

I've used 'E-Z Strip' (or a similar name) and have found that it doesn't affect the metal or the underlying wood at all.

In fact, it often raises a lot of the small dents and shallow gouges quite well.

It's a sort of gel-like thing - you brush it on, let sit, then wipe off with a rough towel, and don't even think of using steel wool.

At the end of the affair, the wood 'will' be dry - so oil it and buff it with a soft cloth.

I've saved quite a number of rifles this way - from completely painted, to heavily cosmolined - and have never had any problems other than the dryness.

If any color is lost - 'Feibing's Oil Dye' will fix it with a light application and a thorough buffing.

You'll have to disassemble the piece first - or as much as you're comfortable with - but this is something 'you' can do if you're patient.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

djossi@yahoo.com

St. George, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try it on one small section to see what results I get.

Blair, the forearm and stock were neither removed nor taped before the metal was painted. As a result, a good portion of the wood has been painted as well.  The whole rifle looks as good as your car would if you painted it with a barn brush.

Two Flints, I'm not locked into the 72nd at all.  What I'm looking are those units whose use of Spencers is considered an important part of the history of Spencers in the Civil War. For example, at the beginning of the Chickamauga campaign Wilder's Brigade consisted of the 17th and 72nd Indiana and the 92nd, 98th, and 123rd Illinois. I would love to find a rifle or carbine that went to any of those units.  The 5th and 6th Michigan Calvary would fall in the same category given the role they played at Brandy Station and Gettysburg.

I guess the big issue is the extent to which people who buy Spencers are interested in the link it might have to a specific unit. My assumption has been that a large majority of buyers attach value to that connection; therefore, Spencers associated with units mentioned above have a significantly higher price tag and are snapped up quickly. If that's not the case, I would be much better off returning the rifle and waiting until one that can be definitely tied to a unit on my list.

Blair

Dave,

A large number of the older GAR  units coated the arms in their displays with varnish.
This treatment usually has the effect of "gluing" the metal and wood parts together.
This treatment may require extra special attention to get them separated without causing damage specifically to the wood parts of the firearm.
This is why I asked the question in my first posting.
Thank you.
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

djossi@yahoo.com

Having thought it through, I've decided to return the rifle. I believe I'm better off saving up my money and waiting for the right rifle or carbine to come on the market. That way I'll be in a position to buy a rifle in better condition and one that I know was issued to a unit in which I have an interest.

Speaking of shopping for guns, I'm constantly amazed at the junk out there being sold by individuals for over $3,000.  On the other hand, the average prices at outfits like Horse Soldier seem to be pretty consistent and more reasonable.

In order to get a more objective opinion I have subscribed to bluebookofguns.com.

Two Flints

Dave,

Good decision . . . your link takes me nowhere . . . appears to be way too long.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

Dave,

Visit this web site:  http://tenring.com/?s=spencer  Scroll down to the Spencer Rifle for a good looking sample.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

djossi@yahoo.com

The link is good, however, I don't think I'm using the right HTML codes to insert it I nto the message. I still have some work to do on understanding what codes to use in what circumstances.

The Spencer you mentioned on the Ten Ring website was actually one of the reasons I decided to return the rifle I have and wait on the right one for me. It's a good example of "you get what you pay for". Although it's $3200, it's in much, much better condition than the one I was considering. In addition it has a very low serial number.

Speaking of serial numbers, I was curious if all four volumes of the Springfield Research Service series contain Spencer serial numbers. The only way that I'm going to be able to determine if a particular rifle or carbine went to a unit in which I am interested is to have a list of all the serial numbers that went to each of those units. And the only way to create that list is to have access to those volumes. At least two of the volumes (either 1 and 2 or 1 and 3) are available for $195 apiece. The others are incredibly expensive. That's why I am hoping that the Spencer serial numbers are not spread across all four volumes. I sure would appreciate if you could let me know the volumes in which the Spencer serial numbers appear. Thanks!

Blair

Dave,

For me, giving up on any original 1860 Spencer "Rifle" would be a tough choice. (Carbines, I am a great deal more choosy about)
The Rifles are hard to come by first of all, and finding one with a SS# that may match a know Unit issuance is even harder.
There are some circumstances, of course, that would make that choice easier for me. Such as price and overall condition of the firearm.
I wish you luck in your search. Please keep the forum informed.
My best,
Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com