"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Texas Lawdog

The Battleships were sitting DUCKS before the attack. The Pacific Fleet was demoralized and the West coast of the US was in jeopardy of invasion by Japan.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

My honor, Blair.

There were mistakes made on both sides. Ours were obvious. The carriers out at sea were a stroke of luck – depending on which version of history one chooses to believe.

The enemy stuck on Sunday morning. Most of the personnel were off base or the casualties would have been much greater. They didn't hit the fuel oil tanks on the thought the smoke would obscure their pilots' ability to find targets.

Japan wasn't looking for a west coast invasion. They knew better. They wanted us unable to impede their progress in their conquest of the western Pacific. The objective was taking us out for a period of six to eight months. They came up way short.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Lucky Irish Tom

Great information Cuz.

Glad you and Montana made it safely Roo, I reckon your weather reports will be a wee bit different from when you were in Northern Virginia.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

litl rooster

Quote from: Lucky Irish Tom on December 07, 2013, 06:50:04 PM
Great information Cuz.

Glad you and Montana made it safely Roo, I reckon your weather reports will be a wee bit different from when you were in Northern Virginia.

Thanks LIT...

Your Cuz has been busy today
Mathew 5.9

Texas Lawdog

The Beef Stew turned out good. It is very warming. I ready for a second bowl. The weather folks are now saying it will be above freezing for a high tomorrow.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Texas Lawdog

I am enjoying the 3rd round of the NFR and a good cup of Cawffee. It is still cold outside, and I cannot sleep.I hope that everyone is warm and toasty in their beds.

pony express

Thanks for posting Arcey. But you missed one....sort of...The USS Utah, was I suppose not technically a battleship anymore, but was stripped of her armament and used for a "target" ship for areal bombing practice. Was hit and capsized during the attack, and is still there, too as a memorial. Not as well known as the Arizona, though. I read an article in a magazine a while back about the salvage operation after the attack, actually, besides the Arizona, Utah, and Oklahoma, almost all the ships sunk or damaged during the attack were salvaged and returned to service.

litl rooster

Extra log on the fire here this morning....Coffee is up.

Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Moanin'.

Chilly, breezy 'n wet o'er this way. Kinda 'wintery' lottsa places. Should make for some nasty football games. Or, as some would put it, 'real' football.

Hadda change of plans yestitty. Did faux beef stroganoff. Got it damned close but it ain't quite there yet. Still stuffed myownself on it.

Doin' the soup fer this evenin'.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Arcey

Opps. Fergot. Old age..................

Utah had been converted to an auxiliary years prior to the attack. That's why I left 'er out, PE.

Delmonico

12 out and about 2 inches of snow on the ground.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Gus Walker

???  Hummmm 32 and rainin here in Ol Virginny. Ice formin on the ol Silverado. Coffe sure is good this mornin. Supposed to be like this all day and night till Monday Mornin then back up to the 50's......
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Lucky Irish Tom

37 and rain in Chesapeake, I'm not saying it's nasty out but even the horses are staying in.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Silver Creek Slim

Morning y'all.
Thanks fer the coffee, Litl Rooster.

Dusting of sn*w.
'Tis 5 and light sn*w. "Occasional light snow in the morning...then snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the upper teens. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow near 100 percent." 3"-5" by morning.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Delmonico

On this day in 1982 Marty Robbins answered the Masters Call.  The incredible Don Edwards cover with the extra poem is now on Youtube:  

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Arcey

Quote from: Gus Walker on December 08, 2013, 08:51:51 AM
???  Hummmm 32 and rainin here in Ol Virginny. Ice formin on the ol Silverado. Coffe sure is good this mornin. Supposed to be like this all day and night till Monday Mornin then back up to the 50's......

It's messy 'nuff we canceled the CAS thing scheduled for the radar trap otherwise known as Waverly.

Gus Walker

Yep i can see why Arcey, rain has changed to sleet,Glad i took the better half to work in the ol truck and left her charger in the garage.  ;D
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Arcey

Oh well. January's comin'. Reminds me I gotta get ta werk writtin' the thing.

Interestin' note on Marty, rest 'im. He has a higher lifetime finishin' average in NASCAR's top-tier tourin' division than dear Danica Patrick's 'n she's had ten more races ta pad 'er's than he did.

The Trinity Kid

Morn' Y'all, thanks for the coffee.  Warmest morning we've had since the first of the month, ~18.  Snow didn't melt any too much, though the heat from the roof made a little melt, and formed some really cool icicles.   One was at about a 45 degree angle, several times in it's length.  Then it got too big and broke, impaling the tip in am old milk jug. :o

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com