Name those guns.

Started by Fredcdobbs, November 21, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredcdobbs

I see a Remington, and maybe another Remington? A Spiller and Burr? A Whitney?

hellgate

Colt Navy, Remington, Spiller & Burr. My guess.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

The Trinity Kid

They all look like Remmies to me.  The one by the saber looks to be a Navy or a belt model.  THe one in the middle looks like an Army, though I can't tell if it is an old Army or a new Army.  The one on the far side looks old Army-ish to me.  All have top straps and Remington grips, so......  I'm not an expert by any means, but, that's my two hundredths of a dollar.  Who is that anyway?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Forty Rod

I'll call the one his left (my right) a Whitney Navy.  The Spiller has a brass frame and the gun in the center has a brass trigger guard that shows much lighter than the rest of the gun.  I would think the entire Spiller frame would appear much lighter.

Of course I could be wrong.  I have been before...................once.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

The Trinity Kid

Just finished some research, and I agree with Forty.  The top strap is too thick, and the loading lever is lacking sufficient flagging.  The flagging issue is what made me think it was a Beals, but.....Yup, it looks like a Whitney.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Fredcdobbs

I wonder if it's a reversed picture like the Billy the Kid photo. Someone figured the old plate took a reversed picture and he was really right handed. Probably looking at the loading gates on which side of the revolver should settle that.
The one in the middle appears to be a Rem. The one on his Right as pictured does have the groove down the center of the back strap like a Rem but I like the one on his left for a Whitney.
Anyway, looks like a Calvary guy with a well developed sense of survival. Probably a lot more handy going into close quarters with eighteen shots in three revolvers than mucking around with a carbine.

Pettifogger

A Uberti, Pietta and one Euroarms.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Fredcdobbs on November 21, 2013, 09:56:34 PM
I wonder if it's a reversed picture like the Billy the Kid photo. Someone figured the old plate took a reversed picture and he was really right handed. Probably looking at the loading gates on which side of the revolver should settle that.
The one in the middle appears to be a Rem. The one on his Right as pictured does have the groove down the center of the back strap like a Rem but I like the one on his left for a Whitney.
Anyway, looks like a Calvary guy with a well developed sense of survival. Probably a lot more handy going into close quarters with eighteen shots in three revolvers than mucking around with a carbine.

Odds are that the guns were photographer's props.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

The Pathfinder

The Remington on the right is Fred, the Remington in the middle is Bob, and the Whitney is Percival. ;D

Major 2

Calvary = the location outside Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified

Cavalry = soldiers mounted on horseback.

;)  just say'n'
when planets align...do the deal !

Fredcdobbs

Quote from: Major 2 on November 22, 2013, 07:51:04 PM
Calvary = the location outside Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified

Cavalry = soldiers mounted on horseback.

;)  just say'n'
I guess I wasn't totally asleep in religion class in High School.

FriscoCounty

Direct print originals, like daguerreotypes and tintypes, are camera original and are thus reverse images.  Copies of them and paper prints from glass plate originals are not. 

Given that the jacket looks to be right over left, it is probably a reverse image.  That would put the sword on the right side, though.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

litl rooster

Quote from: Forty Rod on November 22, 2013, 01:03:27 AM
Odds are that the guns were photographer's props.

digital enhancement shows they were not only props but they were toys.

Mathew 5.9

Slowhand Bob

Lil Rooster, yours is a common interpretation mistake.  These came from an EBay listing and the barl inserts are required for listing sich on EBay.  I whittle mine from old cheep Callifornia wine corks and spray paint em urange!  I thank thet the whole photo is modern and jist made to look old.  Aint ever saw no corn fed fat boys like thet in reel CW pictures afore! 

litl rooster

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on November 24, 2013, 09:41:47 AM
Lil Rooster, yours is a common interpretation mistake.  These came from an EBay listing and the barl inserts are required for listing sich on EBay.  I whittle mine from old cheep Callifornia wine corks and spray paint em urange!  I thank thet the whole photo is modern and jist made to look old.  Aint ever saw no corn fed fat boys like thet in reel CW pictures afore! 

filled with space aged resin
Mathew 5.9

Major 2

how about this one

The Trinity Kid

For sure and for certain reversed.  A Sharps and a Colt Navy looks like to me.  look at the weird hammer spur angle, though. ???

--TK

Major 2

Blair

Major 2,

This is a nice photo of you from... how many years ago?
My best, (but you should not bait these folks) Most have no since of humor.
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com