Question about Govt. Series Artillery model.

Started by Buckaroo Lou, November 16, 2013, 11:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckaroo Lou

There is an Artillery model on GB at the present and the serial numbers on the trigger guard doesn't match the number on the frame and the serial number on the cylinder doesn't match either of the other two. Are they supposed to be that way? The seller states the revolver is NIB.

Thanks, Louis
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Coffinmaker

very possible as USFA went belly up, they built guns from existing parts to get rid of the inventory. 
Normally .......... no.  ALL parts that are numbered should match.  If the numbers don't match, I'd be somewhat suspicious.  I would also only pay a "steal it" price and only after I'd inspected it thoroughly.

Coffinmaker

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Curious...  Especially that "NFM036" serial number on the frame.  That doesn't fit in anywhere with the  "Inspector Series" guns (Inspector Series guns had serial numbers that replicated those used by Colt on the original issue guns).  I also noted that the gun is being sold by someone in Connecticut.  I think Coffinmaker hit the nail on the head.  It looks like a gun that was put together with parts that were left over when USFA shut down SAA production.  I, too, would avoid that one.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Even more curious...  Just took a second look at that gun on GunBroker.  While that serial number on the frame doesn't match up with the original Colt numbers, as it should for an Inspector Series gun, the frame does have the inspector markings and the "US" on the frame.  The box serial number matches the frame number but the box appears to be the older style with the blue sticker.  That would seem to indicate that the frame has been around for a while.  I sure hope Gary jumps in on this one.  Maybe he can shed some light on it!

GaryG

This is a Carr that I believe went to Cherrys in SC.  I think the NFM guns went to Cherrys but I can check that out.  As to the part set, I'll check that also.  The box tells me it was shipped well before I got there.  Regarding the mismatched parts, it was done intentionally as many Gov't Colts returned to the Colt factory to get refurbished left with mis matched parts.  The grips look Italian and the cylinder looks Italian (compare the flutes to other late model USFAs on GB)

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Gary,
You have mentioned cylinders before as a way of identifying Italian vs. US made guns.  What exactly are the differences that one should look for?
Thanks,
CJF

Buckaroo Lou

Capt John,

I think the tapered or rounded end of the flutes on Italian cylinders appear longer and comes to more of a point. USFA cylinder flute tapers appear more rounded and not as elongated. Not for sure if that explanation is plain enough to understand but that is what I have noticed about them.

Other differences I have noticed are: the cam section on the ejector rod housings on Italian ones are short and not as long as those on USA parts, loading gate pivot arms appear longer and thinner on Italian frames and USA appear shorter and thicker. Some hammers I think I can tell the difference but not always. I don't know how to tell the difference in the barrels other than the front sight but I am not for sure if that is an always sure thing. I don't know how to tell the difference in the grip frames (back strap and trigger guard).

If you look further down at some of the pictures you will see the frame does have the US stamp marking.  It is a little hard to tell from the blown up picture of the right side of the frame, but I think it is an Italian frame also. The photo of the entire right profile sure makes it appear to be an Italian frame from the looks of the loading gate pivot arm. It looks too thin and long to be a USA made frame.

Buckaroo Lou
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Capt. John Fitzgerald

Thanks, Lou.  I noticed the same thing about the flutes but sometimes photos can be deceiving.  There did seen to be a noticeable difference in the length.

GaryG

It's the flutes and though it can't be seen the ratchet is a little different.   Also checked on the serial number.  NFM stands for National Firearms Museum and this was a run of guns that was done for Cherry's.  100% Italian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com