Shotgun Butt Extension

Started by Shotgun Franklin, November 11, 2013, 08:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Franklin

I'm pretty big and I'm very sure the butt on my shotgun is at least an inch to an inch and a half to short. We do on occasion shoot at an aerial target or two. I also on occasion use my coach gun for hunting. I don't want a rubber recoil pad but want something I can stick between the wood and butt plate. Any suggestions?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

Howdy SGF,

I know that you said that you didn't want a rubber recoil pad, but , if it were me, I'd go with an extra thick recoil pad and a lace on butt cover. You could have a piece of walnut (or hardwood) installed to lengthen the stock and use a butt cover, but why not soften the recoil (nobody will know what's under the butt cover)?

I'm just say'n,

Reverend Chase

Pettifogger

I have a lace on leather butt cover that has a one inch spacer built into it.  Remove the cover and the gun is back to stock.

Coffinmaker

If you take a peek in the Brownells catalogue you'll find a number of "grind to fit" spacers from a quarter inch to about an inch that can lengthen a stock.  If you need more, epoxy a couple together.  Then get a leather butt cover cause their uglier than sin.  You can also glue in a piece of appropriate wood, but remember end grain to end brain is a very poor joint without tenons or dowels.

Coffinmaker

Shotgun Franklin

I appreciate the quick replies.
Pettifogger, tell me about your leather butt cover. Where might I get one?

Pettifogger

Here's a couple of photos with the makers name.  Bob winters in Arizona.  The next time I see him I'll get a card with his phone number.

Most of his covers are decorated.  I like things plain so I asked him to make it with no adornment.

Shotgun Franklin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com