1st New York Dragoons

Started by djossi@yahoo.com, October 11, 2013, 07:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djossi@yahoo.com

I recently asked Two Flints to provide any information he could for an M1860 Carbine based on its serial number.  He responded that it was within the realm of possibility that perhaps, maybe, perchance it was issued to a member of Company E of the 1st New York Dragoons.  You will note, Two Flints, that I took your qualifiers to heart.

Just for grins, I decided to do some research and see what information might be available on the unit.  As it turns out, there is a great deal of information available.  On the off chance that someone else has an interest in this unit, I wanted to make that material available.

The two primary references are as follows:

• Official Regimental History of the First New York Dragoons (http://international.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2006/20061219002re/20061219002re.pdf: This 64-page book is the official history of the unit.  Using OCR software, I converted the narrative portion of the history to text so that you can do word searches as well as cut and paste.  A copy of this version of the document is attached.  Because of the limitations on the size of file that we can upload, I had to exclude the roster of enlisted men.  Also, please be advised that the OCR conversion was not perfect.  If you do any cut and paste, you may have to edit some of the material to correct any errors the OCR software made.

• Regimental History of the First New York Dragoons by Rev. James R. Bowen
    http://archive.org/details/regimentalhistor00bowe
    : Bowen, who was bugler for Company I, produced a much lengthier work running to almost 500 pages.  His history of the unit and the battles in which it was engaged is much more extensive and detailed than the official history.  Unfortunately, I was unable to convert it because even the narrative portion would've far exceeded the file size limit of our forum.  If you have any interest, let me know and I'll be glad to send it to you.

In reading the history, I came across a number of references to Spencers and carbines.  I've extracted those portions and included them below along with the specific battle and date for each excerpt.  As I read through it I couldn't help but be struck by the fact that theirs was another Great Generation.  It's hard to imagine any man facing what they did and keeping up the fight in such a nerve shattering arena.  And doing it day after day after day.

It also gave me further insight into the impact that repeating rifles were having on the war.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Manassas Plains, 17 October 1863

About this time the rebels began yelling as if about to charge. Though in command of the brigade, Colonel Gibbs kept with us, having ordered the two regiments of United States regulars to form in line with us. The command was given, " Forward,— guide right, charge!" Our boys set up a tremendous yell, and led by the colonel in person, rushed upon the enemy, causing the line of gray to fall back, both sides fighting furiously The rattle and crack of carbines was deafening, as volley after volley was delivered by the contending ranks. It was getting pitch dark, and we could only aim as guided by the flash of their guns. Finally, we charged with drawn sabers, cutting and slashing whenever we came upon them, driving them nearly to Bristol Station. We then fell back and held the Junction until re-enforcements came up.

Todd's Tavern, 7 May 1864

Our first severe engagement occurred at Todd's Tavern and it was of the most sanguinary character, the " First New York Dragoons sustaining the heaviest loss of any cavalry regiment, in any one engagement during the entire war.''

Says Lieutenant Flint in his little regimental history:— "At 3 A.M. the regiment is dismounted and moved across the country for more than a mile at the 'double quick,' when the enemy are met. With a terrible yell the Dragoons go to work, loading and firing their carbines with the utmost rapidity and with deadly effect.
"The air seems filled with leaden missiles from either side. For a while the issue is doubtful, for support comes up tardily; but still the desperate, though unequal, conflict is kept up with unabated fury. Night closes in upon the scene. Over eighty of the dragoons lie upon the ground either killed or severely wounded. The support has arrived, and the day is won.

"An aid-de-camp who witnessed the affair remarked to General Sheridan: 'I never saw men fight with such desperate valor as did the First New York Dragoons; the men fought like demons.'

"On the following morning the battle is renewed with great fury, the enemy being dislodged from his first line of works and driven to Spottsylvania."

In response to my request for incidents, an officer of the regiment, and a participant, sends the following:—
"At the battle of Todd's Tavern, in which the First New York Dragoons lost so heavily, General Meade very inconsiderately, and in the face of a strong protest from Sheridan, near nightfall sent in a small force of dis¬mounted cavalry with their carbines to attack Lee's infantry, stationed in overwhelming numbers behind log breastworks: Notwithstanding the immense disadvantage in numbers, our heroic troopers charged up to the very breastworks, poking their carbines between the logs and firing at close range, eventually setting the works on fire. The Confederates discovering by the light of blazing logs that the dismounted cavalry were not properly supported, swarmed around on either flank, capturing the remnant of the forlorn hope not stricken down by death or wounds. Cos. I and F suffered most severely, the loss in Co. I alone being twenty-four— killed, wounded, and prisoners.

I particularly recall the circumstances of some of them: Corporal Emerson Rude, of Co. I, was literally shot to pieces, but was carried off the field, to die a few days later at Fredericksburg. When captured, Josiah H. Flint had only the barrel of his carbine left, the stock having been shot out of his hands. He and Hiram J. Woodward were fighting side by side when captured, and both these noble boys sleep in unknown graves in Andersonville."

Yellow Tavern, 11 May 1864

Says Capt. J. N. Flint, in the San Francisco Sunday Call: The battle of Yellow Tavern is scarcely known
in history; yet, considering the numbers engaged, it was the greatest cavalry encounter of the war. For hours eighteen thousand horsemen, the flower of both armies, engaged in fierce combat. The battle lacked the precision of an infantry engagement, being fought in every way, mounted and dismounted, under cover and in the open country. Forest and field for miles rang with the din of galloping squadrons, rattle of carbines, clashing of sabers, and screaming of shell. Custer was in his element, as with a squadron of his brave Michigan lads he rode straight through a troublesome battery, bringing off two of its guns. At Yellow Tavern, Stuart's star, which had hitherto shone resplendent, sank, never to rise again. The gallant leader was borne from the field mortally wounded, and expired on the following day in Richmond.

Yellow Tavern (Cont'd)

"The hardest fight thus far of our raid occurred at Yellow Tavern on the 11th. We were about two miles back, when the enemy, from a well-chosen position, opened upon our advance. The sound of the first gun had scarcely reached us before the whole column broke into a gallop, and within ten minutes we wheeled into line of battle. In less time than it can be written, Colonel Thorp's ringing command was heard: 'Dismount, and prepare to fight on foot ! Forward, double-quick, march!' The rebel line was scarcely twenty rods away, and they were throwing the lead about us like hail, while a battery was enfilading us,— 'Hold your fire,' was the under¬stood order; but when about half the distance was cov-ered, word came along the line: 'Every man shoot to kill.' At this the boys broke into a yell. and began pumping the lead from their deadly seven-shooter carbines into that line of gray at such a terrible rate that they broke and ran like a flock of sheep.

"Our new carbines are terrible weapons in the hands of such bully boys as ours. A rebel lieutenant, whom we wounded, said that he had been in the army since the beginning of the war, but that was the severest fire he was ever under. The boys began to run short of ammunition when I ran back, mounted little Gray, and procured two nose bags of cartridges to distribute on the line.

Meadow Bridge, 12 May 1864

"As soon as the bridge was passable, the regiment mounted, and led by Major Scott, dashed across that long roadway at a furious gait, the Confederates withdrawing as we advanced. Coming to the open field, the regiment swung into line on the run, and charged across the field. Coming to a nine-rail fence, staked and ridered, too high to be cleared by our horses, and too strong to be easily thrown down, Major Scott, in his gallant manner, gave the command, 'Fight on foot !' The men rolled off their horses and over the fence, men viewing with each other to be first, and officers scrambling to be in advance of the men; and when over, the line was almost as straight as if on dress parade. Then commenced the advance at double-quick, working their seven-shooting carbines, and making a perfect hailstorm of leaden bullets. It was one of the prettiest sights I saw while in the service, as well as one of the most exciting.

"The Captain has overlooked a lively battle occurring just after crossing Meadow Bridge, in which the First New York achieved an important success without the loss of a man. One of the regular regiments in advance of us met the enemy just beyond Mechanicsville, and being repulsed, fell back, closely pursued by the exultant foe. Lieutenant-Colonel Thorp. observing the situation, gave that com¬mand, so familiar to us: "Dismount, and prepare to fight on foot." The men went forward upon the run, firing their carbines rapidly, and shouting vociferously. The enemy, surprised at the suddenness of the onset, hastily retired with a loss of fifty prisoners.

Cold Harbor, 1 June 1864

Sergeant Walter H. Jackson, in charge of the regimental brass band, who has kindly furnished several items of interest, thus writes: " In the early morning of June 1, 1864, we were lying behind the slender barricade at Cold Harbor, when three lines of rebel infantry marched toward our front. The first line consisted of Louisiana troops, and wore blue uniforms, similar to those of Union troops; but through a break in the line the colonel discovered others dressed in gray, and commanded, 'Give them Hell, boys, they are rebels.' Turning to me, he said, Sergeant, give us some music. We at once struck up 'Yankee Doodle.' After their first repulse, and when they had fallen back to reform, we gave them 'Dixie;' and when they advanced the second time, gave them 'Hail Columbia' on our horns, while the boys put in the variations with their carbines, smashing their ranks worse than before. When they fell back this time, we played, 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again.' Not satisfied with what they had received, the plucky rebs tried it again, we furnishing them with the 'Red, White, and Blue,' as they came up, and with 'The Girl I Left Behind Me' as they went back, satisfied not to come again. Some of the Sixth Corps boys came up to see the fight, and were astonished to hear a band playing on the battle line."

We all remember our brass band; not only did they cheer us in camp, but materially aided us in time of battle by discoursing sweet music while we fought.

Smithfield, 29 August 1864

That night we encamped on the east side of the creek, holding the bridge and fords, and next day (the 29th) fought a most desperate battle, being the twentieth since the fourth of May. Custer's brigade crossed by a covered bridge, but was soon hotly engaged, and driven back, having encountered the enemy's cavalry and two divisions of infantry.  Our brigade joining Custer's, we tried to hold our ground; but with their infantry and two batteries pouring it into our front, and their cavalry on our flanks, we slowly fell back. Notwithstanding the destructive fire from our carbines, and the shells, grape, and canister poured into their ranks by our artillery, on they came yelling like demons. They were by all odds the bravest and most desperate rebs we had ever met in battle.

ndnchf

Very interesting - thanks for sharing!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Two Flints

Davej7806,

Excellent post and very interesting as well.  How will your research continue . . .  or will it?  Wish we could narrow down that serial # for you and get a definite idea on the unit it was actually issued to . . . and not just my "guestimate".

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com