Shooting bag???

Started by FiremanBrad, September 27, 2013, 06:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiremanBrad

Anyone ever make a shooting bag for yer ol muzzleloader???
I've got some nice smoked Buffler leather cut out, and ready to sew together!  Have a couple of books with original examples, we will see how this'n turns out!!!

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

The supply is exhausted, but I used to find "hippy purses" in thrift shops.  They made excellent shooting bags. I'd unlace them and insert a separate piece with pockets and slots attached and re-lace to make a double pocket bag.  I've found a couple of European hunting bags among the ladies purses.

Yes, I have made a couple of bags, and actually sold one on a custom order.  I'm not sure I made even minimum wage 'though.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

GunClick Rick

Still alot around here thought about doing that myself,but i would have to man it up a bit~What i want is some buffler squares

about 12x12 or bigger,HAAAARD to find! Guess i'll have to kick in and try a couple hippie bags ;D

also a good place to check is http://www.shopgoodwill.com  goodwill stores all over the country~Always use the search area at the top at all time,just easier that way and does a better search,sign in after you register then use the shipping thing to give you the cost of shipping, there are few there that like to jake the shipping prices up,but not enough to think about.
Bunch a ole scudders!

BobbyF

Hi F-Brad,
     You saved me some embarrassment , I have been wanting to make a "man bag", ok pocketbook. I'm looking for a shoulder kind of bag maybe a foot by a foot to carry iPad phone, water bottle etc. I make many trips for chemo etc and the SHOOTING BAG would be very practical. I thought of a saddle bag or pony express type looking bag with some carving / stamping could be cool. Just the name helped me, I would be thankful for any of your ideas, no purses for me- thanks--BobbyF

Camano Ridge

Bobby, They are also called Possibles bag and hunting bag. If you do a search on this forum you will find several examples and I thing a pattern or two. Also muzzle loaders foum you will find many examples and some patterns. October Country sells completed bags and also kits. Good place to get some ideas. I have several patterns I would be willing to share if you need.

Graveyard Jack

Yep, I made one based on the designs in Albert's book. Highly recommended reading if you want to make one. Used a woven strap from "Short Arm". Need to take some decent pictures of it.
SASS #81,827

ChuckBurrows

I make lots of them so any questions just ask - IMO if you want to be as PC/HC as possible first decide the who, when, and wear:

Sources:
1) Check out the Contemporary maker's blog - some of the best shot/ball bag (the most common period correct terms - possibles bag is a misnomer although it's widely used) makers are featured there:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

2) The ALR forum - Accoutrements section - some of the best shot/ball bag makers are featured there:
:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php

3) get a copy of Tim Albert's book on how-to many of these are in fact 19th Century:
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/49/1/BOOK-R18-CHP

4) The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch
by Madison Grant - http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/267/1/BOOK-KRHP

Some samples of my work for inspiration maybe -

This one is based on several of the bags shown in the art work of Alfred J Miller from 1837:

A Tennessee Mtn backwoods made bag that went west circa 1830's - based on a an original

Based on an original circa 1814 - an eastern commercially made bag with added bead work

One thing to note - most folks use way to heavy a leather and make it way too big....

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Forty Rod

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on September 28, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
One thing to note - most folks use way to heavy a leather and make it way too big....

Boy howdy, ain't that the truth.

My old bag was about right, but the OC Bag is about 2"-3" too wide and high, and 1" too thick from front to rear. Like I said in my last post, it weighs a ton and is made like a vault.  I could use considerably lighter leather without damaging the functionality of the bag.

I may use it for a pattern and make one more reasonably sized for real use.  Sure is pretty, though.  I'll likely keep it for a camp bag to haul my skillet, cleaning gear, personal stuff, and spare socks around in.   :D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

BobbyF

WOW Pards,  a short word or two from my sentimental part. I told my wife last night that all kids should be taught and shown Mariano Riveara's life story ( Yankee closing pitcher ). He is the greatest there is. Add to that the consomate caring gentleman sharing all that he has. A role model for any one, especially today's youth, giving not always taking. The Pards on this Forum must have gone to Riviera class. Your generosity and caring has given me ( an old broken down NY Cop ) a whole new "thing to do"with my life. Thanks for this time I won't  let it happen again.
     Loved the ideas and CB's pics, the bags are just beautiful, no city dude could hav the nerve to even think they are " girly pocketbooks ". If one was stupid enough, I'll just hav t show him otherwise. You gave me much to think about, when I get something going, I will post and pics.
     Thank --BobbyF

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad you got what you need here, Bobby. Be sure to post what you end up with so we all can enjoy it.

Great links and beautiful examples, Chuck. I particularly like the top one with the blue and yellow (plus) bead work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

KidTerico

Here's one of mine. Brain tan leather. Old lining , long strap and deer leg spilt for knife sheath. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

GunClick Rick

Boy now that right there is a great example of two great artists styles,KT and Chuck,most excellent and a treasure to see! :) :) :)

Check this one out that i found on frontier plunder.Check out thier website click catagories and take a look around awsome stuff there.I was looking for info on the indian bust i have.

http://www.frontierplunder.com/uploads/2/8/2/0/2820337/1101674_orig.jpg?236
Bunch a ole scudders!

FiremanBrad

Thanks for sharing the pics, y'all!!!  I do have that book from TOW!  My leather likely is way too heavy, but too late, I've already cut it out!!  I'll try to take some pics along the way.

Major 2

As to be expected, Chuck Burrows offerings & photos are wonderful...

Then of course, there is the Scot in me,  and I humbly offer my Sporran.  Hoot !

Getting Error 500!

/forumhall/index.php
Internal Server Error! in trying to post photos   :-\

Edit works now  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

pony express

That's the same error I get when I try to post photos, M2. Started after the server change.

bedbugbilly

Before I forget it - some great photos of beautiful bags!

I have made a lot of 'em over the years.  I did a double bag once for a Virginia style flintier that I made - it was pretty convenient with the second bag to put all the "possibles" in. 

The one thing I have found over the years though - the bigger you make 'em, the more crap that ends up in them.  A bigger bag allows you to put all of those things "you might need" in them and usually they get in the way of the bare necessities that you really need.  I made a larger one out of elk die once for my fusel de chase and I finally stopped using it - I found I was putting too many "might needs" in it - you know, stuff like a granola bar, some jerky, too much extra patching, etc. - hey guys, don't smile, we all do it!  That's why it's nice to have a smaller haversack to carry all of that junk so it doesn't get in the way of the minimum loading stuff.  I finally went to a small "day bag" and "day horn".  For my percussion long guns, my day bag is about 6" X 6" with a smaller horn attached.

Like anything else - once you make one possibles bag - you'll be making another - each time trying to improve on it to meet your requirements either at the range or in the field.  And like handguns and holsters - you can never have too many!   ;D

ChuckBurrows

Glad to help - re: leather weight - the vast majority of originals I have examined used 3/4 oz bark tan for those made in the east and western Indian made bags are almost exclusively made fro brain tan buckskin or elk
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

GunClick Rick

Ya gotta carry your stuff on it not in it ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

FiremanBrad

Looks good, Rick !!  I've got bear claws from a Black I kilt in Maine with me recurve, but I made a necklace out of them!!!

GunClick Rick

Very nice!! My brother in law does bear guides in Boise area and Alaska at times.I did the same.Got the bag from October Country,some day i'll settle down and try to do one my self,i'm real good at glue and stitching   ;D One of the fellers that hangs out here did mine for me..

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com