Belt - Ranger or tapered style???

Started by TheOtherLeft, September 27, 2013, 05:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherLeft

Hi guys,

I'm up to the stage of buying a rig. I'm staying away from the Buscardero/Hollywood and going with the traditional.

Which is a better belt design - Ranger or Tapered? Does it make a difference in performance, speed or comfort? Will the Ranger style be uncomfortable when walking/moving around?

Thanks.

TwoWalks Baldridge

This is only my own personal opinion and should not be confused with fact.

I am afraid the answer is the same as with most equipment, a personal choice that you need to try for yourself. 

For my own self I find the Ranger belt to hold the holster in place better do to it being stiffer and the tapered belt to be more comfortable by the end of the day but it is more flexible allowing the holster to move around a little more.

But like so many things, the above depends on style, maker, leather thickness as well as belt age.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Jefro

Quote from: TwoWalks Baldridge on September 27, 2013, 08:01:44 AM

I am afraid the answer is the same as with most equipment, a personal choice that you need to try for yourself. 

But like so many things, the above depends on style, maker, leather thickness as well as belt age.
What TwoWalks said, best to go to some matches and try out a few different kinds. For SASS I wear a wide rough out money belt, I slide a wide shotshell holder onto the billet, (I think that's what it's called) cause I don't care for a seperate shotshell belt. It's very comfortable and nothing slides around. However for CFDA I wear a taper, it's very comfortable also ;D Go try a few before you buy, Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Red Cent

You will have a difficult time picking up brass ::)with the Ranger belt. Pinches me. I would vote for the taper belt. Make sure the belt is rather stiff and made to buckle easily.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Curley Cole

I tend to prefer the ranger style of the money belt style. Here is my earliest match belt that was custom made by RedDog. (first couple of matches were with a Duke rig which I still have)

get what is comfortable to you and looks best in your opinion.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

TheOtherLeft

Is the ranger style better for cross draw holsters without having to swivel your hips so you don't break the 170 degree rule?

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: TheOtherLeft on September 28, 2013, 04:29:54 AM
Is the ranger style better for cross draw holsters without having to swivel your hips so you don't break the 170 degree rule?

No.  The holster placement etc, sets the stage for how you draw.  The belt only holds the belt to the body.

TheOtherLeft

Quote from: TwoWalks Baldridge on September 28, 2013, 07:19:08 AM
No.  The holster placement etc, sets the stage for how you draw.  The belt only holds the belt to the body.

But wouldn't the ranger belt help secure the crossdraw holster better as there's more belt for the holster to hang off, especially if you mount the crossdraw more towards the front?

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: TheOtherLeft on September 28, 2013, 07:46:18 AM
But wouldn't the ranger belt help secure the crossdraw holster better as there's more belt for the holster to hang off, especially if you mount the crossdraw more towards the front?

Too many variables in belts as listed above as well as body shape etc.  No matter the belt, the holster angle will still be pointed to the rear or side, you will still need to stand more side ways to keep from breaking the 170 degrees.

Red Cent

Some will moan about this. Every rig I have has a hole through the holster and belt with a chicago screw holding them in place. I want the knowledge the holster will be where my subconscious knows where it is.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Red Cent on September 28, 2013, 08:24:00 AM
Some will moan about this. Every rig I have has a hole through the holster and belt with a chicago screw holding them in place. I want the knowledge the holster will be where my subconscious knows where it is.

:o OMG

Mine too  ;D

Lead Waster

Quote from: Red Cent on September 28, 2013, 08:24:00 AM

You know, I was just asking about this in the "FAQ" forum ... how do you keep the holster from shifting side to side during normal movement, and when taking the belt off/on. And how do you stop vertical movement when drawing? (None Buscadero style).

So you actually screwed the holster to the belt! Wow! OK!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com