Need a Holliday shoulder rig pattern

Started by Cliff Fendley, September 21, 2013, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Fendley

I thought I read where someone has a pattern for a rig like Kilmer wore in the movie Tombstone but can't find the post.

I have a friend of a friend that really want's me to make one for a lemon squeezer so any guidance you pards could give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

I usually make my own patterns but the straps and layout of that rig looks like it could be a challenge to set up from scratch.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

knucklehead

i used a pattern from hidecrafter a few years ago for a doc holliday holster.
i cant find a program on my computer to shrink down my pics to post here for you to see.
if you want to see my pics send a email to me at edfarmer67@yahoo.com and i will email pics to you.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Camano Ridge

Cliff, the Leathercrafter and Saddlers Journal Mar/Apr 2013 has a Dac Holliday Hrig in it (there was a pattern correction in May/June edition). If you don't have access to it PM me. I also have a pattern by Jim Simmons (Brazos Jack) called the Mclellan that is a pretty nice Doc style rig.

ChuckBurrows

One thing to note - IIRC there are actually three different shoulder rigs made for Doc and they are all slightly different according to Pete Sherayko who supplied the leather and guns. According to a conversation I had with him right after the movie the basic idea came from the WW2 "tanker" rig with the across the across the belly strap for retention
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Cliff Fendley

Thanks for the info fellas. I didn't realize there were three, I had noticed two different ones from watching the movie about a million times over the years.

The one I'm speaking of is the black one that he has on when he puts his hands out with a revolver in both hands. I think it was during the shootout and he says "your a daisy if you do". I'm uncertain how and where the straps attach and where they run around his back. Also it is unclear to me if it attaches at his waist somehow. I guess not since I dont think he was wearing a gun belt at the time.

Johnson County Rangers

TexasToby

These pictures show one version of a Doc rig. Looks like it could attach to the pants or not.
Swinging a rope is alot of fun unless, your neck is in the loop.

Trailrider

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on September 22, 2013, 12:20:23 PM
One thing to note - IIRC there are actually three different shoulder rigs made for Doc and they are all slightly different according to Pete Sherayko who supplied the leather and guns. According to a conversation I had with him right after the movie the basic idea came from the WW2 "tanker" rig with the across the across the belly strap for retention

Yes, the holster is basically an M7 with a slightly different strap arrangement and the pouch is designed for the pistol "Doc" was using instead of a M1911 or .38 revolver.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I just got done watching the Kevin Costner version of "Tombstone''... I am slowly warming up to that version of  Doc Holliday.

Was that a nicikel-plated British Bullldog he was carrying?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Cliff Fendley

I couldn't say because can't stand to watch Costner and Quaid in hardly any movie much less that one. I'm not a huge fan of either and they both were an epic fail.

Wyatt Earp was bad acting and bad timing. Trying to remake the same movie that was released the previous year with a superstar cast that had pulled off some of the best acting of their careers.

The movie Wyatt Earp makes me think of middle school kids or young actors putting on a play following the same screenplay as the movie Tombstone released the previous year. Their acting is a joke. It's like they over acted trying to make up for something they knew was already missing, originality. They just took the movie Tombstone and pumped it full of hot air.

Johnson County Rangers

GunClick Rick

WY I NEVER!! :o Kostner is a local boy,i gotta back him ;)

He has stated that a viewing of the film How the West Was Won at the age of seven had "formed" his childhood.[3]

Spending his teenage years in various parts of California as his father's career progressed,[3] Costner has described this as a period when he "lost a lot of confidence", having to make new friends often.[3] Costner lived in Orange County, then in Visalia (Tulare County), attending Mt. Whitney High School, and then back to Ventura, graduating from Villa Park High School in 1973. He went on to earn a B.A. in marketing and finance from California State University, Fullerton, in 1978
Bunch a ole scudders!

Mean Bob Mean

Quote from: GunClick Rick on September 26, 2013, 10:40:42 PM
He went on to earn a B.A. in marketing and finance from California State University, Fullerton, in 1978

His acting is precisely as exciting as an acountant's sheet so . . .this makes some sense.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Cliff Fendley

Costner is a liberal gun grabbing hypocrite. Like many hollywood actors that have made a fortune in films with guns.

Does OK playing a soft hearted type but has a hard time selling the tough guy act. He played his best tough guy in Hatfields and McCoys.

Johnson County Rangers

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com