V Gouge

Started by Skeeter Lewis, September 16, 2013, 01:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeeter Lewis

Tandy sells these two v gouges. Do pards have views on their relative merits?

ChuckBurrows

I've use done like the upper one for 40+ years and love it - the lower one I tried and didn't like it but others I know do....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Biscuit Joe

I have both.
Don't use them very often though.
I like the handled one the best. It lets me see where I'm cutting better.
The silver one reminds me of using a wood plane.
I don't like wood planes.  :-\

Cliff Fendley

I have the upper one and a friend has the bottom one in his shop. I prefer the wood handled one better but maybe it's what I'm more familiar with. They both work.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

KidTerico

I have both and I definitely like the wood handle one best. Never use the other one. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Bugscuffle

I have not used the handled one, but I have used the "plane type". It works O.K. if you draw out your line on the leather first, but you still have to hold your mouth just right to get it to cut straight.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Mogorilla

Fan of the top one, never tried the lower one.

knucklehead

i have both.  haven't found right tongue to mouth location to use bottom one correctly.
the top one works with no tongue to mouth location
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Marshal Will Wingam

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Skeeter Lewis

Thanks, pards. I've ordered the handled one.

bedbugbilly

I couldn't word it any better than Bugscuffle . . . I have the lower plane style and it just takes up space in a drawer.  I don't need one often, but when I do, I use a well honed V gouge from some wood carving chisels i have.  For me, a handled groover just gives you more control . . . . and I don't have to hold my mouth "just so".   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com