softening hard leather

Started by dangerranger, September 12, 2013, 11:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangerranger

I have an old holster rig that was old when I got in the early 80s. Its always been nice and plyable, but at some point during the last couple of years its been in storage and had gotten wet. its now as hard as a rock! Its not cracked, but if I tried to bend it Im sure it would. I tried some Lexol on it and it soaked right in. Ive put two coats on and the belt is becoming more plyable but not like it was. my next option would be Neets foot Oil. Unless any of you have a good idea. DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

WaddWatsonEllis

Rick,

Try Skidmores (http://www.skidmores.com/)... slather it on and let it sit overnight .... you may be amazed ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Bugscuffle

Saddle soap and neatsfoot oil, but not at the same time.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

ChuckBurrows

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

dangerranger

Thanks Guys! From what Im reading I need to get some moisture bach into the leather before I oil it. That Skidmores looks like good stuff too! DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Slowhand Bob

Great articles Chuck, thanks for sharing those.  These educational articles are great for sharing whenever some post the constant attacks on traditional neatsfoot oil BUT alas the same fokes will invariably make the same false claims over and again at later dates.  On a few cases I find that those fokes are either selling a certain product or else parroting those who do use or sell such other products!

I also found the mention of waxes that use special 'natural' mold/mildew retardants to be of interest.  What would be considered natural retardants?  Moisture/mold/mildew are constant concerns here in coastal SC and I am not found of some of the harsher chemicals that are often recommended/used, even by me.  I can only believe that those that could attack color or finish coats would also be hard on the leather itself.

ChuckBurrows

Bob - pine resin/rosin/pitch added to your finish mix is  good for anti-mold/fungal/bacteria properties - Montana PitchBlend is a commercial version.

Caster oil is also good and keeps the rats, mice, and porky pines from chewing on leather
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Graveyard Jack

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on September 14, 2013, 08:54:05 AM
Great articles Chuck, thanks for sharing those.  These educational articles are great for sharing whenever some post the constant attacks on traditional neatsfoot oil BUT alas the same fokes will invariably make the same false claims over and again at later dates.  On a few cases I find that those fokes are either selling a certain product or else parroting those who do use or sell such other products!
And you have a lot of big commercial outfits warning to NEVER use neatsfoot oil or any kind of conditioner. Of course, they'd rather their rig dry out over the course of several years than take the chance on somebody soaking their goods in oil and filing a warranty claim. I don't know why moderation is so difficult for so many people.
SASS #81,827

Slowhand Bob

Thanks Chuck, I will try the Montana Pitch Blend. 

Craig, I remember using neatsfoot oil on my baseball gloves as a kid.  No one told us better so we oiled soaked the heck out of them and wrapped them tightly around a baseball every night before putting them under the mattress.  I am sure that my mother had to find the oil mattress mess at some point and wonder what the heck was going on??   ;D  Come to think of it I did run through a lot of gloves for a couple of years during that time.

dangerranger

Its working! Ill let it set a couple of days and work it some then. At first the ammo loops would have crumbled like cardboard but now they are moving a little. Ill let them set and then go at it again. I ordered a small bottle of skidmoores, We will try a little of everything in moderation. Thanks All, DR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com