.32 Long Colt ,Need Help

Started by dusty texian, July 01, 2013, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chev. William

Thanks for the Kind word but it is not yet done with the 'work'.  

My father was born in 1900 and both he and my mother lived through the Depression and started a family in the midst of it.  They taught me to use things as long as possible using repairs as necessary  to extend the service life of the 'item'.

My Father bought a 1937 Willys Coupe when he came to California for Work in 1941 and drove it to work until he retired for the third and final time in 1974.  Every other year he spent his two week vacation changing out the engine and transmission the first week, then doing break in, then run in the second week.  The removed engine and transmission were overhauled over the next year and put in storage for the next change out.  He paid $500 for it in 1941 and sold it in 1975 for $500.  It left with a fresh counter balanced crankshaft that had been dynamically balanced, a set of 'high compression' pistons, (about 8:1 in a "L" head engine originally developing 36HP) newer High Temperature intake and Exhaust valves, a 3/4 Race Cam but the same single barrel Carb design it started with.  the car would run all day at freeway speeds, which he proved by annual trips up the Coast Highway and home through the Central Valley.  He also rebuilt a 1936 Willys 77 two door sedan and taught me to drive in that none syncro Crash Box car. 
In 1946 he bought a used 1937 Cadillac Sedan V8 and rebuilt it for a Family Car, and another Coupe, a 1942 one, for my mother to drive to and from her work as a Registered Nurse, then Later built up another 1937 Coupe for my brother to drive to High School, and later for me to do the same.
The Cadillac was used for several years then sold after he got tired of replacing fuel pumps on it as a semiannual requirement, the Long wheelbase, low rear mounted tank and forward mounted mechanical pump resulted in short pump life in the hill roads around Los Angeles, as I remember he got a ticket for backing up Cahenga (sp?) Pass getting home when the pump started failing on a trip into downtown LA.  This was before the Freeways were built and PE Tracks still ran through the Pass.
I still tend to keep repairing things long after others trash and replace them.  I am still using Refrigerator and Dryer tha my mother bought in 1961, the matching washer died beyond repair in 2010.

A trip down Memory Lane.
Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Chev. William

This evening I got a 'wild Idea' and started making up ten each .32 Extra Short Center Fire cases from R=P .32 Long Colt Brass.
I found that a Lyman Case Trimmer will just do it with a power Trimmer shaft and the a adjustment collar assembly reversed on the shaft.  

I will need to shorten a pilot slightly as the nose bottoms in the Case at about .408" Case Length.
The cases Will be shortened to about .400" length then I will need to ream the neck to remove the inside taper so I can seat a 311090A bullet in them.

I figure they will end up with a net volume under the bullet of about 0.0057 cu.in., room for little more than 0.9 Grains of Titegroup powder. (82.3% fill and calculated Pmax of 14,455psi).  This calculates to a MV of 694fps and a MEP of 101psi out of a 24" barrel.  THIS IS A CALCULATED MAXIMUM LOAD DO NOT USE AS A STARTING CHARGE!  The CiP Pressure Limit on this range of cartridges (.32 Short and Long Colt) is 14,504psi(Piezo).

I believe this cartridge is useful as a Short Range Target, Varmint, and Plinking Cartridge that may be loaded and fired in chambers made for others of the same family, the .32 Short and Long Colt, also the .32 Extra Long (RF) if the case is modified to use a .22 Acorn Blank as any longer blank would most likely not allow a bullet to be seated.

Before I can load any of these I will have to obtain a neck reamer of suitable size and contour to clear the case for the bullet heel, about .220" long, which means it will need to cut to within about .020" of the case Web.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Today I had some access to the machines in my Friend Shop so I shortened the nose of a Lyman #27 Pilot I had from the normal .250" long to .200" by holding it in a portable drill motor chuck and spinning it while holding the tip to a Vertical Belt sander, dipping it in water to cool and repeatedly measuring it as it got shorter.
Once it was to the needed length, a gentile pass at an angle smoothed the sharp corner formed by the grinding.

I then took it home and set up the Lyman Universal Trimmer, with the adjusting collar reversed on the shaft so I could lock it and still trim to the desired dimension.  after 'tweaking' the position of the collar, I have it now set to trim cases to .398"=/-.001" (I have a Dial Caliper to measure the case Length) and did 11 cases, the first of which came out .395" before the 'tweaking'.

Now I need to ream the 'neck' to clean out the thickening wall near the base.

This roughly .4" long case is some what cute and is even shorter than a .25ACP case (which is around .605" from Magtec).
With the 31-090A bullet the heel is around ,220" and the lip to web measurement on the .395" case is ,235" leaving about a .015" space in the case for powder.   Off hand I do not know the heel length of a 299153 bullet, but I believe it is similar.

Once I get these cased reamed and ready for loading I will let you know the results.

Another problem to be solved is a seating, and a separate crimp, die for this .32 Extra Short CF Cartridge.
Perhaps shortening a .32 Long Colt Die or a .32 Short Colt Die?
Something to look into.

Best Regards
Chev. William

Added 20140521:  I pulled out a 299153 Bullet and measured the heel length, which reads about .100".  This length in the .395" long case would leave a clearance of .135".  Chev. William

Chev. William

Friday the repair parts for my RCBS JR-3 Press arrived so I spent the afternoon putting it back together.  Now I have an Working Press again, YEA!
then I puttered with dies and was able to seat a 299153 87 grain (nominal 90 grain) Bullet in the one .395" long case.  this resulted in a .798" overall length so I guess the .398" ones will come out about .800" with this bullet.
The 311090A bullet should result i a shorter overall length as it has a longer Heel dimension so will have less outside the case.
Just for comparison, the .25ACP is about .900" overall length.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Sunday I 'puttered' some with a batch of used .22 Hornet cases I bought a while back on Gun Broker.  they were corroded so I have been trying to clean them up and finally got them 'good enough' to try expanding the necks to .250" ID.   I had six of 50 Split the neck in the process and one separated the head when I was forming them to .276" OD.
  The six with split necks I shortened / trimmed to .750" Case length, the same as a .22 Extra Long RF case; but these are .25 Stevens size partway between The Short, at .515" length, and the Long, at 1.124" length.  This got rid of the split areas.
  Historically the 'Short' was not loaded for good performance with the bullet fitted, so this somewhat greater powder capacity case would probably allow improved performance; especially as a Center Fire round, since it is made from Hornet brass that is rated for 40,000psi even if loaded to either the modern RF pressures (24,000psi) or down to the range of a 25ACP (17,405psi).
  I am pondering the probable performance with modern powders and the existing 50 Grain Lead or FMJ bullets and I think it might be interesting.  But for the moment I will set them aside to look at as these cases polished up nicely, and I still have more of these old cases to form to .276" OD to act as 'stock parents' for my .250" Groove diameter Rifle experiments.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

I opened five of the Grade 1 PTL Blanks and measured the weight of the dumped powder on a properly zeroed RCBS Bean Scale (6.55 grains) and when the total is divided by five I get the average powder charge of these PTL loads as 1.31 Grains.

The powder appears to be a relatively fine random sized Flake powder of medium Grey apparent color with a semigloss finish as it does reflect diffuse highlights.

So we can add this experimental information to the body of our knowledge of PTL Blank Loads.

These are labeled as "Simpson Strong Tie P22AC1 .22 Caliber "A" Crimp Loads, Gray #1" and noted in the fine print that they are made in the USA by Winchester and head stamped "Super X".

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Wednesday, May 28th, I bought a Used RCBS "RC" 'Rock Chucker' reloading press.  After cleaning the 'crud' and surface rust off of the Ram then oiling it up, I used "C" Clamps to position it on my Table and tried forming some of the .22 Hornet, necks expanded to .250" ID, used cases to .25 Stevens diameters.  This went much easier as I could do the Full length forming, down to the rim, in one cycle of the press although I had to rise out of my chair to complete the cycle.

This compares favorably with the past sue fo my "JR-3" press which takes multiple cycles of the press adn incrementing down the die to get cases full length sized to the smaller diameter.

A $30.00 purchase plus some cleaning time resulted in what appears to be a good press, money and time well spent.

Perhaps lengthening the press lever by around 6" would allow me to remain seated through the full forming cycle, something to ponder.
This "RC" press seems to go to maximum ram lift just as the 'toggle' body contacts one of the two links, which appear to be castings of magnetic material.  This might be poor for long term reliability so I may use some "weather stripping" flat rubber strip to make a 'buffer' between the two parts.

Eventually I will try reforming some .32 S&W Longs to .32 Long Colt diameters to see how the press handles the slightly larger diameter cases.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

This "RC" press is getting some more 'workout'  I found it is sufficiently powerful to swage, or coin, .22 Hornet .070" thick rims down to .050".  Now I do not need to thin the rims for use as replacements in .25 Stevens Chambers.  And I find that I can chuck the swaged cases in a portable drill and use a File to bring the diameter down to fit the chamber rim Rebate after it expanded in diameter when it was squeezed thinner.  Yes, it takes time but at least I can do it at home instead of going to my Friend shop to use his lathe when it is free.

The 'second .25ACP Carbide sizing die seems to have stopped moving the Carbide ring back into the body at .028" setback so I turned the bottom of the die body back so the carbide is slightly exposed, about .003", and have formed an additional 30 Hornets to .25 Stevens dimensions with no further set back.  Looks so far that the ring has stopped moving.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

The original "JR-3" has given Very good Service, I agree; so I bought a second, used, one to be 'backup' for it in future handloading.

Then I ran across a used "RC" press and bought it for $30.

The "RC" has a larger Ram and somewhat greater Mechanical Advantage and Strength, so makes 'swaging' cases down in  diameter easier. and now I find it has enough strength to 'coin' the rims thinner in the same action cycle.  No more having to chuck and turn the rim thickness, just the diameter now.

I am still thinking of changing the lever length for a little more Mechanical Advantage.

Also it seems no one else is reporting any progress (since about May 29th),  is All Quiet in the Other Shops"?

Added 20140626:  "Coining" the Hornet rims requires tow hands and most of my upper body weight on the existing "RC" handle, but DOES bring them down to the needed .050" thickness using an old Hollywood Engineering Carbide .25ACP sizing die that seems to have the Carbide brazed into the body.  The 'as made' Zinc plated 3/16 nominal ID 'Fender Washer' has developed a 'socket' for the original Hornet rim from previous use, in conjunction with a Primer pocket swage punch, to full length size the Hornets down to .25ACP/.25 Stevens body diameter.  this 'socket is forming  a 'trim mark' on the coined rims that I remove in trimming the diameter back to fit the Stevens chamber.  

I now have over 100 cases that have been fully swaged/coined and trimmed to diameters. with a few that are trimmed to several lengths suitable for my experiments, from ).515" up to 1.250", including 0.750", 1.055", 1.125" (Stevens Long).  The .750" length is one I am proposing as a more useful length than the original .515" original Stevens Short length.  The 1.250" length is planned to try as an 'Extra Long Stevens' to see how it plays against a similar length proposed .250ALRM extended length .25ACP cartridge.  

These are being done while I am waiting for two Stevens Favorite action Upgrades to be completed by my gunsmith, which is postponed to allow his Double knee and double Hip replacement surgeries and recovery periods.  In the interim I have been also 'gathering' the parts for a Stevens Marksman and a Stevens 44 actions, to allow later rebuild and return to shooting condition.

A separate project to document the Stevens 44 action, receiver and internal components dimensions in AutoCAD is on hold while I get my 'Drafting' Computer back up and running after an episode of "Blue Screen of Death" infection by MALWARE.

The Saga Continues:
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Anyone else interested in .327 Fed. Mag. Empty Brass that is presently available on Amazon.com?

"
327 Federal Magnum Starline Brass (100 New Cases)
by Starline Brass
1 customer review
Price:    $33.98 + $3.99 shipping
Only 14 left in stock.
Ships from and sold by The Brass Man.

Starline Brass is known for it's quality and consistency.
   Used by many of the top competitive shooters.
   Uniform case wall thickness.
   Tight wall concentricity.
   This is not primed or loaded ammunition."
This is as of today, July 4th, 2014.
I previously purchased two 'lots' for a total of 200 cases as 'parent' brass to form into various .32 Long Colt/.32 Long RF family cases.  They are head stamped "*327*FEDERAL".  These are Cheaper than the .25-20SS Basic Brass I bought from Buffalo Arms earlier in the year, but will require resizing down to the .318" diameters I need.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

I spent the last few days preparing parent cases For the .25 Stevens Family of cartridges.
These latest ones are made with my Current Set of tooling and I have modified some of them to be Rimfire adapters using my new Cutters/Tooling.

1. Started out with used R-P .22 Hornet Brass, Expanded the necks and shoulders to .250" inside diameter, then used my "RC" press, the .25ACP Carbide sizing die, and the 'RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Tool Kit', with an added Fender Washer, to form the cases Full length, including 'coining' the rims down, to .25 Stevens Case diameters and rim thickness.

2. Trimmed a group of the parent cases to .25 Stevens Length (1.125" roughly), and using a Battery Drill Motor and a Fine Single Cut Mill File, finished the Rims to thickness and diameter (.346" to .348" diameter by .060" thick) to fit my Stevens Barrels chambered for the .25 Stevens Rf cartridge.

3. I then Set up my "#8 Cap screw combination Drill and Counterbore in my Drill Press over a Machinist Vise C-Clamped to the Press table positioned so a Case clamped in the Vise "V" would be centered under the Chuck and its Tool. The Drill/Counterbore needs slow feed as it is sharpened for Steel, not Brass, cutting. The Drill Press depth stop was used to limit counterbore depth to less than the rim thickness (depth of counterbore cut was set to about .040", leaving about .010" rim metal thicknes).

4. The same setup was used with a #2 Drill to open the case hole from about .179" to about .219".

5. The Same setup was used with a "Match Grade .22LR Freeland" Chamber reamer to open the through hole in the case head to fit 'Tightly' a .22 Blank.

6. Using a separate, smaller, Machinist Vise on my Loading Bench and the same Mill file, I cut a Firing pin Clearance slot in one side of the nearly finished adapter case rim.

7. I then de-burred and smoothed the the 'finished' Adapter Case base and rim before primer/load was inserted.

8. Inserted a .22 Caliber Grade 1 Power Tool Load Blank and used my loading press to push it home in the Adapter, using a Dummy Chamber and the Stripper cup from the Swage Kit WITHOUT the Swage Punch.

9. Polished the finished loaded Adapter using the Battery Drill motor and a Green Scotchbrite pad.

These 'loaded' Blank adapter cases have the existing Grade 1 PTL powder loading of 1.31 Grains of flake, fast burning, powder and I intend to use them to verify I have enough Firing pin clearance to set them off in a Stevens Favorite Rifle fitted with a '22LR' Breech Block and a .25 Stevens Chambered Barrel.

Later, after reloading and reassembling the Stevens Favorite with a .25 Stevens RF Breech Block and the same .25 Stevens barrel, I will check the firing pin will fire the Blank, as my measurements appear to allow.

This series of tests will verify I can fire my Stevens Favorite with either a "CF" Breech Block, a ".22RF" Breech Block, or a ".25RF" Breech Block assembled in to my action.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Spent Yesterday and this morning working to get my "PhotoBucket" account back and running again, in the process apparently lost the previously used links to the posted photos.

But I did get a new photo of my .25 Stevens RF/CF case forming project uploaded and titled so here is the link:

This photo is a cropped detail of a larger image and shows: a fired .22PTL Blank (fired in one of the Adapter Cases I made); side and bottom views of the completed .25 Stevens CF case; bottom view of pilot drilled and counterbored RF case; bottom view of #2 Wire Size Drilled RF Case; Bottom view of Match Grade .22LR 'Freeland' chamber reamed RF Adapter Case; Side and bottom view of Adapter case with PTL blank inserted; side views of, in order .22 Caliber, Grade 1 (Gray) PTL, Grade 2 (Brown) PTL, Grade 3 (Green) PTL, and Grade 4 (Yellow) PTL Unfired Blanks.

NOTE: In this photo I have NOT cut the 'notch' in the residual Rim Edge of the Adapter Case as there is Clearance between the .22 Blank rim and the Inside Diameter of the Rebate, which is .290"+ Inside Diameter.  It seems there is sufficient Radial Clearance for the Stevens .22LR Breech Block/firing pin tip when fitted along with a .25 Stevens Chambered Barrel and Extractor so the notch MAY NOT be needed.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

ADDED 2014JUL18:  After thinking about future use of the Adapter cases possibly with Breech Blocks and Firing Pins (BB/FP) set up for the original .25 Stevens RF Rim; I have filed clearance notches in the standing edges of the rims of the twenty Adapter cases I have on hand so that they may be used with either a .22 RF BB/FP or a .25 RF BB/FP interchangeably.  I may even try to see how a .32 RF BB/FP combination hits on them.  Chev. William

Chev. William

I spent some of the last few evenings experimenting with resizing .327 Federal magnum Brass down to .32 Extra Long diameters.  out of 50 in the experimental lot, two were 'lost' in the first stage (sizing to .329" diameter except for the base) due to a 'pause' in pushing the case into the sizing die.  I still have 8 that have not been through the final size die (to bring them to .317" diameter) with the other 40 ready for lathe trim of the Brass 'Roll' from just in front of the Rim.

So far all the cases come out of the final sizing die with about the last .150" to the mouth distorted from circular. This may be to some internal problem with the ".32 Long Colt" sizing die used and the extra length of the .327FM brass.

I have ordered a Drill Blank (.2965") to use to 'circularize' the case mouth area before trimming to final length.

Also, to reduce the force needed on the press handle to form the cases, I have ordered a longer handle for my "RC" Press, one form a "Ammomaster 2" which appears to be about 6" longer overall.

I am also contemplating reinforcing my Table top to withstand the added forces as its two layers of 1/2" Marine Plywood, glued and screwed together, flexes under press case forming forces now.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Saturday Afternoon, I received my new, longer, handle for my press so I installed it after supper and tried i tout forming .327 Federal Magnum cases down to .32 Extra Long/.32 Long colt diameters and comfortably finished 25 cases that evening.

This is compared to a maximum of t0 cases in one session with the original handle.

The new handle is about 4" longer than the old handle but improves 'leverage' further by changing the old cylinder handle to the new Ball End handle, concentrating the applied force at he end of the handle.

I am pleased with the results.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

I temporarily received one of my strengthened 1894 Stevens Favorite actions back from my gunsmith (after paying $150.00 for the labor so far) to try out with some of my 'replacement' .25 Stevens cartridges.  I found that the firing pin  had too much tip extension and too much travel in the Breech Block; also that the Stevens Favorite was designed without a retraction spring.  The pin tip 'Snaged' on the cartridge rims if the BB was closed when the barrel is pointed down and fouled the hammer if the barrel is pointed up.  I also found that the original Stevens Chambers in my barrels are all worn conical in the rim rebate, so different diameter rim set at different depths, case rear face to Breech face.  I also found the extractor was cut with too thick a section, front to rear, so it 'camed' the cartridge body up and the rim disengaged from the extractor part way out.

Firing found the .25 RF positioned pin striking the rim from the bottom side so it took two strikes to fire a .22 RF blank in any carrier design I tried;but .27 RF Blanks did fire with a single trigger pull.

I returned the Action to my Gunsmith along with two .25Stevens barrels, two more Breech blocks, and an additional lever to have him:
1. Correct the .25 Stevens firing pin problems.
2. Make up a .22RF Breech block-Link-Lever set to work with the revised .25 extractor in my action.
3. Make up a CF Breech Block so I can try some of my CF Cartridge Designs later.
4. adjust the Rim rebates and head spaces to work with both the original .25 Stevens RF cartridges and the smaller .25 RF Blank Rims.

Since then I have been working on a 'Second Generation' design of the tubing style blank adapter.  I find that I can get about 33 pieces of 9/32"x.014"Wall tubing 1.125" long out of a 36" piece to the Hobby Brass tube.  Then square the ends, run them full length through my .25ACP Carbide Sizing Die, chamfer the inside diameter and press in a .25 Cal PTL Blank then trim them to a final 'Case Length" of 1.118" and seat a 51 grain or 63 grain bullet over the 'charge' (the PTL Blank has both Primer and Propellant in it). these I have checked in a 'dummy Chamber' and in a .25 Stevens Barrel and do seat with the rim and rebate in contact.

Both the .25 and .27 caliber blanks measure the same rim thickness so that makes head spacing a little easier.  The .25 Stevens Rims ar e.333" diameter and .050" thick; the .25 Blanks rims are .296" diameter and .040" thick; the Stevens Rim rebates measure about .350" diameter and seem to be cut for the .050" thick rim originally.

As I cut my .25 resized 'Hornet' Adapter cases and .32 Adapter cases so the blank rim is 'flush' with the rear face of the case, they should work with the .22 breech Block, just different extractors.

I will be using my CF Breech Block with at least three different extractors, .25ACP; .25 Stevens CF; and .32 Long Colt.
I will not know for sure if the rim edge notch is needed until I get the action and Breech Block sets back from the Gunsmith again.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

My push piece for pushing Tubing sections through my .25ACP Carbide sizing die failed so I ordered a pair of  Lee 'Lube adn Size Kit' replacement punches for nominal .284" diameter sizing die.
Today I had a chance to use my Friends Shop and lathe so I made a 'split collar' holding tool to allow turning the punch down to fit my die.
I also got one of the pair turned slightly loose so I will try it out tomorrow morning before deciding what to turn the second one to.
Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

I tried the new push 'punch' with 30 pieces of cut brass tubing.  29 went as desired, sizing down smoothly to the size for .25 Stevens replacement case design.  The 30th piece ended up with an 'extruded' skirt with a .004" thick wall and took MUCH more force to complete the pass through the die.

This 'punch' will work for my use in producing replacements for .25 Stevens Cases.

Eventually I will machine the second punch to closer fit the die.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

I was able to use my Friends Shop Lathe this morning and one of the things I did was turn the bottom of a .326" Bullet sizing die to allow me to run .32 S&W Long and similar Brass up to the rim in this as a first step in swagin gthe brass down to .317" diameter fo ruse as parent cases for the various .32 Rim fire replacement cases.

Got home and this evening I rant 25 ea .327 Federal Magnum cases through both stages of swaging with out loss of any.
The modified die seems to work quite well.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

Quote from: w44wcf on September 27, 2013, 10:10:24 PM
pony express, thank you for the information.

Here's a pic of the pin to make the oal  pin+.32 L Colt = .30-30 case length.

w44wcf

Going back through the Thread from start to present, I noticed that your "pin" photo looks a LOT like a Lee "Lube And Size Kit" push pin.  Is that where you got the idea?
Chev. William

Chev. William

Off subject but I think of interest to all:

I completed Trimming some of the Tubing (9/32" x .014" Wall sized down to .274" OD in a .25ACP sizing die) to length and assembled a pair of 'test' cartridges using a Grade 4 .25 Caliber PTL blank and a 63 grain .258" diameter RFN Lead Bullet.
I pressed the Blank in one end of a trimmed tube and, after belling the other end, seated the bullet using a .25ACP seat/crimp die.
I did run the case in far enough to crimp the case tube to the bullet just at the 'crimp groove' in the bullet.

Wednesday I took the test cartridges to my Gunsmith's shop and we temporarily assembled my strengthened pivots 1894 Stevens Action to a 'way to much head space old Stevens '.25 Stevens' Barrel.  It ended up with about .080" head space from breech face to cartridge end when seated in the barrel.

This is a deliberate test to see if the tubing is suitable for continued use as a cartridge case.

The Cartridge was fired successfully.
The Blank moved back in the tube as both moved back in the chamber toward the Breech face.
The 'unsupported' blank body just forward of the original rim 'ballooned' out to form a second 'rim'.
The original Rim 'Ballooned out until it formed a "T" shaped vent hole in the upper section.
The Bullet exited the barrel.
The Fired tube case showed expansion to fit the Chamber, growing from a .274" OD before firing to a .282" OD after firing.
The Blank end had a slight 'Bell' to it.
The Bullet end still had the Crimp in it, so the bullet left with a reduced diameter 'heel' I presume.
In spite of the Venting, my gunsmith reported a 'loud muzzle blast' or 'report' so the venting was near the end of bullet travel within the barrel.
It appears the edges of the tear 'vent' were rolled away rather than bit being torn off.
No detectable damage was found in the 1894 Stevens Action, the Breech Block face is still perpendicular to the Barrel center line and at the same distance from breech face to Rear face of Receiver Barrel Socket, pivots are still straight and linkage is tight.

Conclusions:
The Tubing is adequate for use as an Adapter Case between .25 Cal PTL Blanks (of nominal .248" OD) to .25 Stevens rifle chambers ( the original cartridge was .276" diameter and the worn chambers about .283" to 284" diameter).
The tubing either should not be crimped to the bullet OR the tubing 'neck' should be reamed to reduce the .014" wall to something around .008" to .009" thickness.
The Blank's wall failed rather than the tubing wall, and at that only after being greatly distorted due to the excess head space of the experiment.
Normal Head space provisions would most likely not have caused the blank rim to fail as it did in this experiment, since the Blank moved to the rear far enough so that the original rim was completely outside the design chamber rim rebate.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com