.32 Long Colt ,Need Help

Started by dusty texian, July 01, 2013, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chev. William

As of Saturday Morning, working in the 'Cool of the Morning', I trimmed some sized down .327 Federal Magnum cases to two different lengths, 1.200" and 1.150" to add to my inventory of various sized .32 Cases from .32 Extra Short, and now to .32 extra Long plus some even longer but, alas, none of the .32 Ballard Extra Long size.

I now have both CF and RF Adapter versions of the: .32 Extra Long, .32 Long, .32 Short, and .32 Extra Short to use in my future experiments along with 6 versions of a CF case .75" long, resulted from trimming some used Remington-Peters cases until the mouth splits were removed.

The shorter cases are all derived from resized .32 S&W Long cases so all of them have been through the Sizing die all the way tothe rim top.

The Extra Short is 'marginal with the "311090A" bullet but may be practical with the "299153" bullet as the case length of .398" nominal leaves almost no space for powder under the "311090A" bullet.

The Short, at .650" case length is somewhat easier to handle and load.

The Long, at various lengths from .75" out to .92" have been discussed well previously and are very usable.

The Extra Long, at 1.150" case Length is also very useable in firearms chambered for it as 'Ndnchf' has written.

The few cases I left at 1.200" are 'just in case' spares or possibly useful for a shorter Driving Band bullet in these firearms.
Since I presently do not own a firearm chambered longer than .32 Long at roughly 1.104" chamber length, I will not be loading nor firing the longer ones at this time.

These, in all lengths, are definite proof of process though, so I know I have a fully viable process for making the whole range of case sizes for the .32 calibers of .318" body diameter.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

w44wcf

Quote from: Chev. William on August 19, 2014, 06:59:49 PM
Going back through the Thread from start to present, I noticed that your "pin" photo looks a LOT like a Lee "Lube And Size Kit" push pin.  Is that where you got the idea?
Chev. William

Chev William,
Yes.  I reasoned that the .30-30 Lee FCD could be used if a pin / cartridge length = the .30-30 case length.
Thankfully it worked.  ;D

The adjustable shell holder offered by Old West Molds in conjunction with the .30-30 LFC die is certainly a better option....

w44wcf        
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Chev. William

I have two "blank" Shell Holders that I came across in a Scrap bin and have since threaded for 3/8-24 bolts to be made into alternate Shell holders for crimping .32 Colt diameter cartridges using heeled bullets.

Now I need to work out the machining of the bolt tops to take the rims.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

The last few weeks have been Hot/Humid here so I have not progressed on my projects much at all.

Even my Dogs have been panting though the nights.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

A few days of 'cooler' temperatures have now passed and the weekend forecast is for over 100 degree temperatures again.

I did get some puttering done on my projects so things are better than before.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

ADDED 2014OCT04:  The cool weather is giving way to high temperatures again this weekend, and both my two dogs and myself are 'hiding' in my Bedroom under the working window Air Conditioning unit for the day to cool off some.  This afternoon after it cooled off slightly from the day's peak temperature, I wen to my Friend's Shop and used his lathe to cut a "Stevens Favorite" Tenon onto a used 'Marlin' 22 S-L-LR barrel I purchased off of "Ebay".  This tenon is about .663" diameter and is long enough to allow for proper head spacing and extractor cut to be done by my gunsmith.  It is now 'Short Chambered' by the amount I trimmed the breech end to square it up.  I will have him use my ".22LR Match Grade Freeland Chamber finish reamer to bring the chamber to size and length.  This "Modified 1915 Stevens Favorite" action is getting close to test firing now.  My gunsmith will also need to harden and temper the Firing pin for me otherwise it will have short operating life (it is dead soft at the moment).  Best regards, Chev. William.

Chev. William

I recently ordered a new Barrel Blank and a pair of Finish Chamber Reamers with the matching "Go" gauges.

These are for use in completing a Marlin Model 56 Levermatic Conversion project I have to make it a .25ACP repeater.

Now I am 'hovering' waiting for the items to be delivered.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

'Checking and puttering' with the parts I have collected I find that I have almost enough to resurrect at least three more Stevens Actions. one Model 44 that needs only a "7 O'clock" extractor to complete it,  and two Favorites, one 1915 and one "7 o'clock" extractor model,  then the next on ein line is a 1894 "Bubba Repaired' one that may be used as an experiment as it was Brass Brazed to repair a broken upper tang, near the Body fo the Receiver plus 'Butter welded' repair to the lower tang. not joins that give me a Good Feeling about their reliability in service.

It turns out I have 1915 model breech blocks in .22RF, .25RF, and .32RF styles/firing pin tip locations so perhaps the "Standard" 1915 Receiver will be the next project.
My "Modified" 1915 only will fit a .600" wide Breech Block, while the normal 1915 breech blocks are .550" or less wide.

I am Waiting for Fulton Armory's Shipment of a New Manufacturer .30 M1 Carbine Receiver to arrive at my local FFL Dealer so I can start the California Paperwork and Waiting period for it.  Fulton Armory advertizes these as Fully USGI Specifications and Drawings Compliant, including Heat treatments. 
I plan to have it made up as a Straight pull Bolt action  (without the Semiautomatic Gas system) with a Long Match Grade .30 Caliber Rifle Length Barrel to see how accurate a .30 Carbine round can be out of a Rifle at longer shooting ranges.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

The Fulton Armory Receiver arrived, I have waited out the California 10 Day delay, and have now added a Operating Slide, Bolt Assembly, a Schilen .308 Match Grade Barrel blank, and a 'pull through' .30 Carbine Finish Chamber Reamer to the 'pile of parts' at my gunsmith's waiting for him to get the barrel blanks machined to fit both Receivers (the other one is a USGI NOS 'never issued' one with a .45 Caliber Barrel blank and .45 Win. Mag. chamber reamers along with a modified Bolt assembly for a rifle length Conversion).

My Gunsmith told me he would not get to these two projects until sometime in February Next year as he will be going on a Movie Location filming out of State.

There is a slight chance he will get my Stevens Marksman and one of the1894 Favorites done before he leaves fo rthe movie Shoot.

I know, Be patient it will eventually all get done.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William

More 'pieces' from Fulton Armory: an Recoil spring and Guide, a Magazine Catch and a Bolt 'hold open push button and spring for the Operating Slide have arrived.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Cooperhawk

I am new to this Forum but have owned a Marlin .32 Long Colt for over thirty years.  I previously have been able to purchase factory loaded ammunition, but now have started reloading for the rifle.  I have dies from Buffalo and found cases and bullets online.  I also have a supply of the liquid wax for the bullets.  Just starting to have some fun with it now.  I do a lot of reloading other calibers.  I am currently loading Unique at a low velocity and will work my way up.

What I am looking for is a Creedmore Sight for the rifle.  I see on the stock tang that it is tapped and drilled for one and wonder which one is a good fit.  Has anyone else added a sight such as this?

I am getting a little old and my eye sight isn't quite as good as before. 
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

Chev. William

Cooperhawk,

Welcome to this Discussion Thread.

The Screw Spacing on your Rifle's Tang will control which currently available "Creedmore" Tang Sight you might be able to use.

I know there are several such sights offered by vendors on the internet, either as Stand Alone items for sale to Customizers or as replacement items for Reproduction Rifles in Production now.

Also Check the various Firearms Auction Sites and even Ebay, as this IS an item that Ebay allows to be offered.

Personally, I do not have any 'true' long range Tang sights, the closest I come is a mid range Italian one that lacks windage adjustments.  I had bought i toff an Ebay Auction because the mounting holes were the right spacing for my Stevens Actions, at 1-1/2" center to center.  It is marked 'Made in Italy" so is a reproduction type.

I hope you are successful in finding a Tang sight to match your desires.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Cooperhawk

Thanks, I've been looking at Brownell's, but they do not show the screw hole spacing.  Will take your sage advice.
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

Chev. William

Cooperhawk,
Brownell's has a 'chat' function that you can use to ask questions about their products and offerings.  Have you tried asking them about the hole spacing?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Cooperhawk

Not yet. Had some outside chores to do but will try it soon.
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

Cooperhawk

Got with Brownell's Chat today and got a sight ordered.  Thanks for the advice.
Now am going to load up some test rounds.
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

Cooperhawk

Now that I have the sight ordered and on the way I attempted to remove the screws in the receiver that will attach the sight.  After over 100 years they are frozen in!  I have used penetrating fluid, head, cold, tapping with a hammer and punch and so far neither one will budge.  Any ideas besides having them drilled out?
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

wildman1

Harbor Freight sells a small impact wrench for about $5, do not use the screw driver bits that come with it, use bits that are made for gunsmithing. This works very well for hard to loosen screws. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

dusty texian

Quote from: Cooperhawk on December 18, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
Now that I have the sight ordered and on the way I attempted to remove the screws in the receiver that will attach the sight.  After over 100 years they are frozen in!  I have used penetrating fluid, head, cold, tapping with a hammer and punch and so far neither one will budge.  Any ideas besides having them drilled out?
Hello Cooperhawk.  I have ran into the same problem that you have with removing old old blank screws. I read that you have tried penetrating oil. Question have you tried PB Blaster that stuff has bailed me out more than once. I have had success with Kroil also. One thing you may have already tried is to remove the stock and apply the penetrating oil on the underside of the tang. Best of luck getting those stubborn screws out. And great to hear from another .32 LC Marlin shooter. ,,,,,,,DT

Cooperhawk

Have not tried PB Blaster.  I have removed the stock and applied the Penetrating oil from underneath.
NRA, VFW, LEGION
RETIRED FAA ATCS

Chev. William

On one of my Receivers, I had to Soak it in Penetrating Oil for two weeks before one of the Screws came loose, the other is still soaking.

Of course they had been driven about two threads below the surface way back when by a previous owner.

The 'plug' screws are supposed to only go in Flush with the outside surface.  But the very thin edge that is the 'stop' is easily overpowered by a unknowing 'mechanic'.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com