Author Topic: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help  (Read 337329 times)

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .32 Long Colt ,Need Help
« Reply #340 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:29 AM »
ndnchf,
Thank you for the range report. That is a very nice group using your custom cases! ;D 
The upper most hole looks a tad oblong. It could be that two of your bullets impacted there.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #341 on: November 11, 2013, 10:18:18 AM »
I still have the target. I just looked closely at it.  At the back, the upper hole had a piece of paper torn and folded back,making the hole look oblong.  When I unfolded it, the hole looks more round.  Its a 4 shot group. I'll just have to go back out and try again.  I may even try it at 100 yard just for fun. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:22 AM »
You might also try them at 200 yards, you might be surprised.
Best Regards,
Chev. William
"Been there, But no 'Tee Shirt' survived.

Advertising

« Reply #343 on: Today at 12:39:58 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
Wow, some very nice shooting ndnchf,Look's like the 2400 is working good for Ya. Thank's to w44wcf for letting us in on that one. Did the custom cases change much after being fired?They sure look good. Almost lost my 92 Marlin 32 LC. this past wk. The Wife shot it some at the target clanger .Next thing I know she think's it's Her's .That little rifle cartridge combo was a hit with everyone that shot it. It did not miss once with every shooter. If you want to get someone Hooked on the little .32 JUST LET THEM HAVE AT THE HANGING SKILLET . Think Y'all are right it has been a fun ride.Thank's to All,,,,,,Dusty

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »
Hi Dusty - good to hear from ya!  Yes that 2400 is the cat's meow.  It shoots really great in my little rifle.  I was quite surprised when I found I could ring the 100 yard gong regularly with it.  The fired cases look just fine.  The only problem I have now is the tang sight on it.  I borrowed it off the other little rolling block, but now that I have it sighted in on this one I don't want to take it off.  But fiinding another one will be hard.  I have seen a nice reproduction gallery type tang sight made for the little #4 rolling block.  Not quite the same, but I may end up getting one for the other rifle.

I'm gettting ready to take its big brother out this week, the .58 Roberts, #1 rolling block.  If I can get it dialed in at 50 yards, I'll try to ring the gong with it too.

You better start looking for another one too.  If the Missus has taken a shine to your rifle, its only a matter of time until its a gonner  ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
There are two Marlin 1892 series firing pins on Ebay at the moment, one is RF the other is CF according to the writeups.

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:43 PM »
  I have seen a nice reproduction gallery type tang sight made for the little #4 rolling block.  Not quite the same, but I may end up getting one for the other rifle.

Say, is this the repro selling for $130 by a Remington RB parts dealer somewhere out west?  At that price, it should be a good one, but there was no photo of it on the website. 

The problem I find with all these gallery-type sights adjusted by loosening the disk is that it's damned hard to make a fine adjustment.  On originals, the aperture in the eyecup is always too small, but that can be drilled out.  This is why I much prefer a Lyman or Marbles--originals, that is, not the junky repros.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: November 12, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »
Yes, that sounds like the same sight.  Its advertised on Gunbroker also and there's a photo of it. It does look very well made, but I'd prefer another lyman, which is more compact than the gallery sight.   

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: November 12, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »
Yes, that sounds like the same sight.  Its advertised on Gunbroker also and there's a photo of it. It does look very well made, but I'd prefer another lyman, which is more compact than the gallery sight.   

Have you put in an ebay search for "Lyman tang sight" that will send email notification when new ones are listed?  It's the easiest way to find one, though you'll still have to sort through them to find the right hole spacing.  Some patience is of course required.

I'm sent a raft of such notifications every day for items I'm looking for.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: November 13, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
I search Ebay and Gunbroker periodically, but didn't know you could set up email notifications.  Thanks for the head up on it, I'll take a look. 

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »
I search Ebay and Gunbroker periodically, but didn't know you could set up email notifications.  Thanks for the head up on it, I'll take a look. 

Write a search, like "Lyman tang sight" or "Marbles tang sight," and at the top of the page of search results, you'll see "Follow this search."  That sets you up for the notifications.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »

Write a search, like "Lyman tang sight" or "Marbles tang sight," and at the top of the page of search results, you'll see "Follow this search."  That sets you up for the notifications.

Thanks I'll do it now.

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #352 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:18 PM »
Have a Good Thanksgiving everyone.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: December 05, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »
I ordered an Accurate Mold 'modified' 31-090A 5 cavity mold today.  It will of course take a while to be delivered so I wiil just need to be Patient.  The modifications are to the length and diameters, The heel diameter is ordered to be .303" (+.000/-.002) and the driving band .311" (+.002/-.000)  with the 'lost' weight added as a .300" diameter cylindrical section added between the ogive and the front driving band.  These dimensions wil better match my barrel dimensions (.299" Bore/.305" groove).

The Weather here in "Southern California" has gone from 'Autum' to early winter with overnight freezing temperatures and cool daytime temperatures, making work outside on my north facing patio very chilling. 

I am trying out some 'environmentally friendly Rust Removal chemical' called "Enviro-Rust" on the butt end of my 'Bastardized' model 44 barrel.  It has been soaked 12 hours already with little visible effect, however when I decanted the chemical back into its storage container I noticed some fine metallic residue in the bottom of the soaking container so I guess it is just working slowly.  It is back to soaking again today and has about another 6 hours of soak time so far.

If the trial works out I will make up a tall skinny 'tank' to soak the full length of the barrel in.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »
Chev - that mold sounds great, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. What is the turn around time for it?

I haven't tried that brand of rust remover.  But I have used diluted molasses, which is environmentally friendly and inexpensive. I still use it occasionally, but I now use a simple electrolysis tank made from a 5 gal bucket or plastic tub. This works really well, is environmentally friendly and does not harm the base metal. I've even used it inside a rifle barrel using a steel rod.   

Offline Chev. William

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: December 06, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
RE: Mold delivery date; none promised so far, my guess is around four to six weeks.

RE: Electric rust removal; Would you please describe your setup and the process?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: December 06, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
I'm out of town at Harpers Ferry this weekend, working from a Blackberry.  So I'm kind of limited. Here is a link to a site that explains a simple electrolysis set up.
http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

Offline Adirondacker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »
I'm out of town at Harpers Ferry this weekend, working from a Blackberry.  So I'm kind of limited. Here is a link to a site that explains a simple electrolysis set up.
http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

Something I've got to try--though it seems extreme overkill on a cast iron skillet, which could be cleaned with a wire brush & muriatic acid in a fraction of the time. 

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »
RE: Mold delivery date; none promised so far, my guess is around four to six weeks.

RE: Electric rust removal; Would you please describe your setup and the process?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

According to the website current lead time is 4 weeks + mail time. I have received molds from Tom pretty close to the current lead time and sometimes a week or so sooner. 

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
I finally got back to the range today.  I shot the little #4 Rolling Block at 50 yards again.  The 4.5 gr of 2400 and Lyman 299153 bullet load is consistently accurate when I do my part - about 1.5" - 1.75" group.  But I did have a plesant surprise with the 11 rounds I loaded with 2.0gr of Trail Boss.   10 out of 11 went into a group about 1.75".  The holes are raggedy because the backer board was shot out behind it.  But there are ten in that group at 6 O'clock.  One flyer up and to the left, that I can't account for.  Oh well, something always has to spoil the party.  I don't have a chrono, but I'd say the 2.0gr of TB sounded just a tad stronger than the .45gr of 2400.  What a fun little gun this is to shoot!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com