Another Spencer headscratcher with pics...

Started by smith693, June 22, 2013, 06:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith693

Hi Guys!!

Got another headscratcher (for me) from today's hunt. We found two fired casings that look like Spencers everything is the same except they are shorter:

One of the "normal" Spencers we have found:

First Find today:

Second Find (was still ON top of ground, causing the black color)  :

Together with a "dropped" Spencer :

So these two today were found about a mile apart, they are about .2 inches shorter than the 40 or so Spencers we have found to date.

Any thoughts?

smith693

How about the .56-52 cartridge?

Since it had more bullet exposed,I suppose it would be shorter?

smith693

Jan Buchwald

FrontierWest

The two fired casings are 56/56 casings and the cartridge is a 56/50 cartridge.  You did not show the base to show what fired them and that would help too.  What you hunting for exactly?

john

smith693

Quote from: FrontierWest on June 24, 2013, 08:56:57 PM
The two fired casings are 56/56 casings and the cartridge is a 56/50 cartridge.  You did not show the base to show what fired them and that would help too.  What you hunting for exactly?

john

The bases are not marked at all. We are still working a site that I believe is this:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,10937.0.html

FrontierWest

Having done a number of battle sites...  I hope your at least GPS'ing your finds.  I start with 001 and keep going for all relics.  I take hand written notes, keep the coords. in MGRS (meters is easier for me to understand than lat/long) and I also keep computer notes with the relic photos and firing pin impressions ect.

Good luck, but the fired casings should have firing impressions and pin marks, not to mention some chamber charactistcs and extraction marks and or issues.

WOuld love to hear about it.

john

smith693

Quote from: FrontierWest on June 25, 2013, 08:20:51 PM
Having done a number of battle sites...  I hope your at least GPS'ing your finds.  I start with 001 and keep going for all relics.  I take hand written notes, keep the coords. in MGRS (meters is easier for me to understand than lat/long) and I also keep computer notes with the relic photos and firing pin impressions ect.

Good luck, but the fired casings should have firing impressions and pin marks, not to mention some chamber charactistcs and extraction marks and or issues.

WOuld love to hear about it.

john

Will forward you a rough research paper, my log and .KMZ file to your email address listed in profile.Let me know what you think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com