Repro question

Started by The Trinity Kid, June 09, 2013, 04:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trinity Kid

Hi y'all.  Unfortunately the 1860 Army from Cabela's jumped out of my price range :'(  However, the Confederate 44 Navy dropped in to it.  My question is,  Is it safe to get a cartridge conversion with that brass frame revolver, or is it like the Remington brass frame and just too weak?  Yes or no, I'm probably getting one anyway :P :D

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

rbertalotto

The frame is too weak as everyone will tell you.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

The Trinity Kid

Figured as much, but oh well, never hurts to ask.  I'll end up having fun BP anywho.

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Major 2

Save your money, until you can get the 1860 ...you won't be sorry
when planets align...do the deal !

Slowhand Bob

Actually I think a lot of new found quality came with a lot of the Pietta price increases, with the Colt clones in particular.  With that said, Cabellas is known for running some pretty good sales at times, be patient and watch.

longinosoap

Right around Christmas time Cabela's has dropped them under $200 the last couple of years. Keep your eyes peeled.

rbertalotto

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Graveyard Jack

The new Piettas are really nice guns. Much improved over those a few years ago. I don't have a problem with the price increase. I just wish they'd get rid of the "tail" on the Navy gripped guns. Worthy of note that the 1851 London model does not have the tail.
SASS #81,827

Roshi

Quote from: CraigC on June 11, 2013, 11:09:03 AM
The new Piettas are really nice guns. Much improved over those a few years ago. I don't have a problem with the price increase. I just wish they'd get rid of the "tail" on the Navy gripped guns. Worthy of note that the 1851 London model does not have the tail.

I'll be the first to say I'm no expert.  That said, I've looked at thousands of pictures of 51 Navy pistols and seen may originals in gun stores and museums and own a copy of the definitive book by Swayze.  The Pietta "tail" is actually a Colt "tail" that is seen on many, mostly earlier 51's. 

The London and late 51 grip that became the SAA grip has no tail.  I don't like the tail and have removed it from both my Pietta's (thank you Mike for the directions).

I don't like the myth repeated that this "tail" is some Pietta defect or invention.  They just happened to copy a different 81 Navy than Uberti did.  I like Pietta quality of late.  They have always been good shooters.  Now the fit and finish are better.  Can we hope that they figure out no one likes the tail or their damn barrel markings? 

harleydavis

Quote from: Major 2 on June 09, 2013, 07:18:27 PM
Save your money, until you can get the 1860 ...you won't be sorry
Seconds on this. The brass framed so called "Confederate" revolvers were not as common as some retailers would have you believe. Probably less than 7000 total and limited to Griswold & Gunnison Navy copy, Spiller & Burr (similar to Remington) & a copy of Remington New Pocket. From a historical standpoint, Colt 1860 brass dont make it. In terms of functionality, with usage, the steel pins with eventually elongate the frame holes creating an unsafe weapon, this is the so called "frame stretching". To be sure, you will have to fire it a lot to wear it to the point of unusable. Still, for not much more, get the steel frame. Just my opinion.
I remain, respectfully,
Harley Davis
"I do not believe in ghosts so I do not burn a candle waiting for them. As to the killing of a bad man, when it comes to a fight, it is the other man or me. And when the deed is done, why bother the mind? Afterall, the killing of a bad man should not bother anymore than the killing of a rat, a vicious cat or an ugly dog" James Butler Hickok when asked if he ever thought about the men he had killed.

Graveyard Jack

Quote from: Roshi on June 11, 2013, 12:41:01 PM
I'll be the first to say I'm no expert.  That said, I've looked at thousands of pictures of 51 Navy pistols and seen may originals in gun stores and museums and own a copy of the definitive book by Swayze.  The Pietta "tail" is actually a Colt "tail" that is seen on many, mostly earlier 51's. 

The London and late 51 grip that became the SAA grip has no tail.  I don't like the tail and have removed it from both my Pietta's (thank you Mike for the directions).

I don't like the myth repeated that this "tail" is some Pietta defect or invention.  They just happened to copy a different 81 Navy than Uberti did.  I like Pietta quality of late.  They have always been good shooters.  Now the fit and finish are better.  Can we hope that they figure out no one likes the tail or their damn barrel markings? 
While it's true that the original Navy grip frame had more tail than the later SAA, I've never seen an original with such a pronounced tail as the Pietta replicas.
SASS #81,827

Major 2

Quote from: harleydavis on June 11, 2013, 01:35:27 PM
Seconds on this. The brass framed so called "Confederate" revolvers were not as common as some retailers would have you believe. Probably less than 7000 total and limited to Griswold & Gunnison Navy copy, Spiller & Burr (similar to Remington) & a copy of Remington New Pocket. From a historical standpoint, Colt 1860 brass dont make it. In terms of functionality, with usage, the steel pins with eventually elongate the frame holes creating an unsafe weapon, this is the so called "frame stretching". To be sure, you will have to fire it a lot to wear it to the point of unusable. Still, for not much more, get the steel frame. Just my opinion.

and what is more the so called Confererate Colt copies were never in 44 Cal.

nor for the matter the 51 Navy Colt...
when planets align...do the deal !

Karl

Quote from: The Trinity Kid on June 09, 2013, 04:17:25 PM
Hi y'all.  Unfortunately the 1860 Army from Cabela's jumped out of my price range :'(  However, the Confederate 44 Navy dropped in to it.  My question is,  Is it safe to get a cartridge conversion with that brass frame revolver, or is it like the Remington brass frame and just too weak?  Yes or no, I'm probably getting one anyway :P :D

--TK

Cabela's is not the only game in town.  You might want to give the good folks at Deer Creek Products a call to see what their 1860 prices are right now.  Always ask about their "scratch&dent specials."  I have occasionally gotten "fancy" plated and engraved versions of the same pistols from them for similar or even less than the plane Jane models.  They carry lots of extra BP gear for revolvers too.  They still do not seem to do that "e-mail fad" so you have to call them at (765) 525-6181. 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Coffinmaker

I'd like to wade in here.  First and foremost, if the intent is to have the versatility of an cartridge conversion DO NOT buy ANY brass frame C&B handgun.  Very bad JuJu.  Very very bad.
Those who feel the current crop of Pietta built guns are improved ........ Yer RIGHT.  Much improved.  I've primarily built competition SA copies of the model P for the last 15+ years but recently got a wild hair to play with Cap Guns since I retired.  Wound up with 4 Piettas.  Two are .44 1851 Navy "Yank" pistols with 3 inch barrels and Thunderer style grip frames.  OK, Pietta builds Cap guns that never existed in actual history.  Who Cares.  These two guns are positively NEAT!!  The other two are 1860s with 5 1/2 inch barrels I bought for the grips, spare cylinders and barrel assemblies.  But wait you say that's silly!!  Nope.  Pietta will interchange without much if any fitting.  Pull the little short barrels off the 51s (just 1860s w/octagonal barrels), install on the 1860s and PRESTO ...... Avenging Angels.  And some really weird looking 1860s <};-)
As in the Model P world, the Pietta guns take a lot less work to prep for CAS use than Uberti Guns do.
So, when searching for your guns, don't forget Dixie Gunworks.  Lots of guns and good prices.
Oh, and Slixshot cones w/Remmington #10s

Coffinmaker

Tornado

Hey Trinity,
Cabelas just put the '60 on sale, $199.

Slowhand Bob

I realize that I am in a minority BUT I prefer the Pietta Navy grip over over all others in the cap and ball world.  Perhaps perception but the grip feels narrower as it transitions towards the top.  I love it when folks never blink an eye when a pard pulls his Ruger Old Army but get all a-stir over the Pietta .44!  Am I wrong in the idea that it would have been easy reach for a gunsmith to create a 44 from a Colt Navy if a pard had a few bucks and asked for such a critter?

The Trinity Kid

The '60's Are on sale! There will be one in the mail Saturday with my name on the tag.  I may do something weird and change the grips to Navy, just 'cause I like the Navy better.  I have smaller hands.  Whatever with the grips. 

Slowhand: I like the Navy grip better than all except for the Pietta Remington.  Since the Colt Navy, Army and SAA all have the same grip screw placement, so I think a guy with both an Army and Navy could change grips and essentially have a .44 Navy.....  I dunno. ::)

--TK

Blair

TK,

In the day when all Colts were made by Colt, this swapping out of the grip and grip frames was much easier.
Today with several companies making Colt "copies", it becomes a problem of fit!
If you choose to make the change, you should try to get the parts and pieces you need from the same manufacture as the arm you bought. The potential fit will be less of a problem.
Just a suggestion on my part.
My best,
  Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Lefty Dude

Quote from: The Trinity Kid on June 24, 2013, 11:22:07 AM
The '60's Are on sale! There will be one in the mail Saturday with my name on the tag.  I may do something weird and change the grips to Navy, just 'cause I like the Navy better.  I have smaller hands.  Whatever with the grips. 

Slowhand: I like the Navy grip better than all except for the Pietta Remington.  Since the Colt Navy, Army and SAA all have the same grip screw placement, so I think a guy with both an Army and Navy could change grips and essentially have a .44 Navy.....  I dunno. ::)

--TK
[/quote

When ya get that pietta "60" and want to exchange to a navy Grip, frame & Trigger guard, I'll trade ya my new 51 Navy for your 60 Army..

The Trinity Kid

Trade grip assembly, or guns? Both sound good...... :)

--TK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com