Extraction Tool

Started by smith693, June 04, 2013, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith693

We have continued our search for the "Battle of Blanco Canyon" nd I'm back with a another probable dumb question. It deals with  misfires and we were wondering if there was any sort of tool issued that was used to remove a jammed misfire? We found the bullet half of a round that still has about a half inch of casing left below the end of the bullet. The part of the casing that is not surrounding the bullet has clearly been "pinched" together. There are also two distinct tool marks on this part, almost like a plier-type tool was used to grab this after the base had been torn off and removed.

Kinda hard to see:

Thanks for looking...

WaddWatsonEllis

HI,

They say that you can take the medic out of the hospital, but not the hospital out of the medic ..... When I opened this thread I was thinkin',"Now what would a dentistry tool have to do with reloading? *G*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Eggman

Every case of removing a stuck case/cartridge I've encountered in the literature involved using a knife.

FrontierWest

I've dug my fair share that looks exactly like that.  You sure it was not simply torn up by cattle ect?  Could you post some macro images of the "tool" marks on the remainder of the cartridge. 

A common method of extraction was a pocket knife, and a ramrod... otehr than that, not sure they had plyers invented by then and definately not vice grips. 

John

smith693

Quote from: FrontierWest on June 11, 2013, 05:14:51 PM
I've dug my fair share that looks exactly like that.  You sure it was not simply torn up by cattle ect?  Could you post some macro images of the "tool" marks on the remainder of the cartridge. 

A common method of extraction was a pocket knife, and a ramrod... otehr than that, not sure they had plyers invented by then and definately not vice grips. 

John

That top pic is about the best I can get with my phone.

Eggman

Well it definately has been gouged at by something (I think knife). Definately not a ramrod poke out.

FrontierWest

I have a lot from Wyoming that looks just like that, but are more ofa result of mother nature re-acting withnthe cartridge when wet over time and cattle and farm equipment and a whole lot more I have not thought of.  Could be though.  I can take pictures of the exact thing that was not "dug" out of the chamber.. but again I am not holding you specimine in my had to see it that way either.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com