How often do you cast?

Started by dangerranger, October 09, 2005, 01:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangerranger

I sat down to load some ammo today, and when I ran out of bullits I had loaded 300 45s.I dug around under the bench to find some more only to find I was out. I got to thinkin that the last time I had cast 45s was just before christmas last year. So do most of you cast a years worth at a time? or do you cast them as you use them? Enquiring Minds Want To Know?
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Lou Graham

I just started casting this spring.

Had to do more in July.  Not a good project when it's 90+ degrees with humidity to match :o :o :o :o :o

Started a couple of weeks ago on laying in a supply for next season. I figure that's a project for winter when there's hardly any shoots to go to.  I've got more than my weight in lead to make ingots, so that should get me through a season of shooting ;D
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Carolina Lead Foot

Lou, going by your picture and the amount you shoot, you need to double the amount of lead you have.

;D ;D

CLF, who just could not help it
Believer in the Almighty
Warthog
Soot Lord
Just a Cowboy shooting real BP

Hemlock Mike

I cast about 3-4 pounds of alloy at a time.  That's about all I can stand for  ::)

Mike

Goatlips

Usually once a year but I'd enjoy doing it more often.

Last casting session things were going just right, so five quarts of Snakebites dropped like rain onto my bath towel.  Don't know how many that is.  Hated to quit but it was getting dark outside and I wanted a Guinness.....

Goatlips

Sergeant Smokepole

I usually set up my lead pots 3 times a year and cast about 1K each time.

Cactus Cris

I cast for 44/40 & 36 rnd ball & 45/70 & 38 HB.  I do my 44/40 when I  get low on loaded ammo.  Usually do 2-3 hundred at a time, load them up next day.  Have 500-600 loaded at any given time.  The 36 rnd ball I do about enough for a yrs worth.  the 45/70 is done when I need them to load about 40-50.  The 38 HB is done only when I shoot the 58 36cal conversions which ain't often.   My 44 rnd ball is done by my best pard Mason Stillwell.  He do know his ball's! ::) :-\ ;D
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Howdy Doody

I'll cast about 1000 at a time. Two different molds in two different calibers. It goes fast with the 6 gang molds.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Calamity Jane

I try to cast a year's supply in the early winter.

I use 100% wheel weights so I do the first melt (to make ingots) in a large home-made pot so it's better to keep that pot hot once it's warmed up. From ingots, I use a Lee 10Lb and a 20Lb pots and two moulds to cast boolits. I try to cast enough for a full year (3,000 to 5,000) but that takes a few days. Then they all get lubed/sized and put in stock.

I ain't a fan of casting but it's a job what's gotta be done.

Texas Tall

Gee Calamity, I wish you lived next door to me doin all that castin and buildin cannons shootin black
etc I'm sure you could do a few extra fer me if I kept the drinks a commin over the fence.
Yeah, could work out real good. ;) ;) ;)
Regards..........Texas Tall.
If you've gotta cheat ta win, you've only beaten y'self.
SASS# 47630
SA/Aust.2870
GSC 002

Matthew Duncan

Melt down wheel weights late fall.

Cast bullets during the winter inside.  Size and lube.  Got me a years worth from 5 gallon bucket half full.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Silver Creek Slim

Depends on how much WW's I have melted into ingots. I have to cast some PRS boolits soon 'cuz I'z out, so I'll use the .44WCF until then.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

dangerranger

Well I bought some to get me through. 500 should get me through till Dec. I got a lighter weight to try and if I like them Ill get the mould.DR.
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Arcey

Lookin' like the dreaded 'w' word is done fer the day 'less the cell rings.

We're on the edge of Wilma 'ere in duh beach.  After ah good while of heat 'n humidity, it's cool, breezy 'n spittin' rain.  I LOVE it!

Got me a coffee can full ah sprues.  Lead already alloyed.  Thinkin' I'm gonna go out on the back porch, set up 'n cast me a few hunnert rifle boolets this very affernoon. 'N if I do, at the rate I'm shootin' 'em, that oughtta last me thru Roundup '06.......
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

blue drifter

Quote from: Lou Graham on October 09, 2005, 04:59:19 AM
I just started casting this spring.

Had to do more in July.  Not a good project when it's 90+ degrees with humidity to match :o :o :o :o :o

Started a couple of weeks ago on laying in a supply for next season. I figure that's a project for winter when there's hardly any shoots to go to.  I've got more than my weight in lead to make ingots, so that should get me through a season of shooting ;D
wear dose everybody get the lead, i'm just looken for some ideas.Ichecked with A few tire shops and was told
we got A guy  we give it to, any other ideas sure would help ::) ::)
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Arcey

Ya jist gottah keep scroungin', Drifter.

Years ago, I bought me one ah them wheel weight tools 'n grabbed me a bucket.  Went ta junk yards 'n pulled 'em off fer next ta nuttin'.  When the bucket got heavy, I left........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Mustang Gregg

I am gonna start the process tonight in the back driveway.
I have about 500# to 600# of raw tire wts to melt into 1# ingots.
That will take 'most all evenin' turkey fryer burner.  I use a homemade cauldron on it.

An' then I'll use any spare time this winter to make bullets on top o' the weldin' bench.

Mustang Gregg
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

dangerranger

Drifter I get mine from the garage where I work. A couple times a month I pick up a 5 gal bucket full and leave a new bucket. every so often I also leave a six pack of cold beverages [diet pepsi is there drink of choice].I also get tin this way. the plumbers save the end pieces of lead free solder[95% pure tin.] Im starting to build up more lead than I can use tho.

Mason Stillwell

Well it is kinda nice to slow down a  bit. I was casting like a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin chairs for the past 2 years.

Things have SLOWED down so now I am makin my own and makin shot with my new shot maker. Then enjoying the fifthwheel and camping.

I only have the 7 1/2  drippers but someday I'll get some heaver ones. This shotmaker is a lot of fun but BOY HOWDY it uses up lead fast.

I made a 5 gallon bucket half full. You think a 5 gallon bucket of 7 & 1/2 shot aint heavy???? Had to have it moved for me.

Mason (whats in the casting season here in the desert) Stillwell
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

dangerranger

how does your shot maker work? I thought that you had to have a thirty ft tower to drop your shot but evedently thos days are over.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com