Which One?

Started by The Trinity Kid, May 29, 2013, 09:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trinity Kid

Hi y'all.  I need a little arm twisting ;)  Pay day is comin' round real soon, and money don't sit well in my pockets....It does sit well in a revolver I been told.  I'm wanting to buy a Colt Navy revolver, particularly a conversion but am stuck as to which one.   I don't know if I should go the way of buying a c&b from Cabelas and a Kirst, or the Cimarron '51 Navy Conversion, or the Cimarron Open Top Navy.  7 1/2 in barrel is the way I'm going (I like long revolvers), along with 38spc/Colt, but model is the problem.  Any thoughts on this?

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Pettifogger

If you are going to shoot it much, then you want to buy a factory "conversion" or open top as they have the correct .357 bores to shoot factory ammo and are easy to reload for.  A conversion of an existing C&B will cost more and you will either have to line the bore or use hollow base or heeled bullets.  To get the "look", I personally like the Cimmarron Man With No Name.  It is basically an Open Top with an old style navy barrel with rammer.  (Don't waste your money on the Silver Snake on the grips.)

Coffinmaker

I read your "other post" so I do have a couple of thoughts for ya.
First, a '51 Navy has a nominal bore of 375.  Much larger than a .38 (.357).  There are "get arounds" but none are cheap.  You will initially be limited to hollow base wad cutters for bullets to get accuracy at or under "minute of dinner plate."
Then, the Kirst will cost ya about $300 bucks.  The ejector assembly another $125 and then you have to cut the loadin channel in the frame, which is manufacturing a firearm without a license which makes it yours forever.
So, you'll have 200 bucks in the donor gun, $300 in the Cylinder/Recoil shield and $125 in the ejector or, $625 invested in a gun with no flexibility.  A brand new dedicated conversion in.38 is $500 at list price and can be had for less.
Since your new at this, go for the dedicated conversion and save yourself some major headache.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker

Pettifogger beat me to the draw.  Just.

The Trinity Kid

Wow, that was prompt...ten minutes from original post to response.  Wow!  thanks.  Anyway, I hadn't realized that price difference was so ginormous!  $125 is a lot(for me ::)  )!  I do have the question, How does one eject the casings in the "Man With No Name?"

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Pettifogger

Quote from: The Trinity Kid on May 29, 2013, 09:34:44 PM
Wow, that was prompt...ten minutes from original post to response.  Wow!  thanks.  Anyway, I hadn't realized that price difference was so ginormous!  $125 is a lot(for me ::)  )!  I do have the question, How does one eject the casings in the "Man With No Name?"

--TK

The "loading" lever is two pieces.  You unlatch it and then pull it apart and use the stub end to knock out the empties.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Coffinmaker on May 29, 2013, 09:28:09 PM
I read your "other post" so I do have a couple of thoughts for ya.
 The ejector assembly another $125 and then you have to cut the loadin channel in the frame, which is manufacturing a firearm without a license which makes it yours forever.
Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker, pard........

This statement is a miss-conception of the law.
Not trying to be inciteful but the law states that you can build your own firearm as long as you do not do so with the intent to sell it....
It does not state that you cannot sell it....
I have transfered these for pards before and my FFL agernt has absolutely no problemo with the transfers.......

Regards, HH
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

The Trinity Kid

Wow, lots o' stuff! What's your opinion, Hoof?  Do you have one or the other, or like one better? 

--TK

Fingers McGee

Pettifoggger +1.  I've got a pair of the Man With No Name revolvers and they are a joy to shoot.  With full case of fffg BP, the fired cases usually fall out of the cylinder so use of the stub end isn't necessary.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Coffinmaker

Hoof,
The problem here is just what you state.  The law states you cannot manufacture for sale.  The law does not say you cannot sell.  The law does not say you are permitted to sell.  The problem in all this is the BATF.  If you have drawn the attention of the BATF, the BATF can and will take the position that since you sold it, you intended to sell it at manufacture.
I personally like the position that the law does not say you cannot sell.  However, I have also personally seen the BATF take the position that since you sold it, it was your original intent.  It cost the man a felony conviction and his livelihood. 
I personally choose not to mess with Dragons.  They find us crunchy and taste god with ketchup.

Coffinmaker

Hoof Hearted

Coffinmaker

I believe we have a friendship on this forum so please don't take this discussion as anything but that........

You are confusing laws and codes. ATF codes and regs can be "interpreted". All of them can be interpreted negatively based upon the key word "intent".

The Regs say that you cannot build a firearm (unless licensed as a manufacturer and having paid the tax) with the intent to sell it. If you make statements contrary to that then an ATF agent can determine your intent to be otherwise.

I keep reading the statements you made involving "The law does not say you cannot sell." Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning but the double negatives sure are confusing :o If you are trying to say that the ATF regs do not say that you can sell a firearm then I have to say that you are sounding like a politician!

Regards, HH
Quote from: Coffinmaker on May 31, 2013, 09:58:39 PM
Hoof,
The problem here is just what you state.  The law states you cannot manufacture for sale.  The law does not say you cannot sell.  The law does not say you are permitted to sell.  The problem in all this is the BATF.  If you have drawn the attention of the BATF, the BATF can and will take the position that since you sold it, you intended to sell it at manufacture.
I personally like the position that the law does not say you cannot sell.  However, I have also personally seen the BATF take the position that since you sold it, it was your original intent.  It cost the man a felony conviction and his livelihood. 
I personally choose not to mess with Dragons.  They find us crunchy and taste god with ketchup.

Coffinmaker
STORM #400

Hoof Hearted

To get this thread back on topic.............

TK,
I really like the new Thuer! Not trying to strum my own chord but it is a drop in for the Colts pistols that eliminates the need to port the pistol, replicates a desireable and as of yet unobtainable design, and the cool factor is through the roof!

I'll post a picture of one for you in a few minutes.......

HH
Quote from: The Trinity Kid on May 29, 2013, 10:37:00 PM
Wow, lots o' stuff! What's your opinion, Hoof?  Do you have one or the other, or like one better?  

--TK
STORM #400

Hoof Hearted

TK

Here ya go!

This is available in a 45 caliber which will work in the 44 caliber 1860 and the 1851 "Army" without any mods to the pistol..........
STORM #400

The Trinity Kid

I didn't know they made repros of those!! :D  I've always wanted one!  Where can I get one?

--TK

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: The Trinity Kid on June 01, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
I didn't know they made repros of those!! :D  I've always wanted one!  Where can I get one?

--TK
I've been too busy to get the website up and running but shoot me a PM and I'll set you up!

HH
STORM #400

The Trinity Kid

:D  I'll probably end up buying the Colt this month and, depending on the price of the conversion, that next month or the one after.   btw: what type of price am I looking at?  I'm guessing $300-$400, but that's just a guess.  Could you shed some light on this?  Maybe some of the other guys would like to know too.....   Thanks a bunch.  ;D ;D ;D

--TK

Coffinmaker

Hoof,
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but the depth and luster of the blue on that zilinder is ......... Just "oh boy" good.  Or .. WOW.

Now if it were just possible to do the First Model Richards at reasonable cost.

Coffinmaker

Pettifogger

Just noticed the gun in post #12 is a Robert E. Lee.  I have two cased sets, unfired.  Hmmm.

Hoof Hearted

Thank You!
This will be the "normal" blue for the Thuer's as shipped. It is the original formula (or claimed to be) for Colts Royal Blue.

Unlike the other products out there which are blued as machined the Thuer will be polished first and I can do my best to match finishes if requested.

There will also be "limited edition" pieces will details to come soon!

TK;

I feel that it is incorrect for me to post prices here on this site.
All the info will be forthcoming on the website in a few days but you can always email, Pm or call me. My info is in my signature line.

HH
Quote from: Coffinmaker on June 01, 2013, 11:17:01 PM
Hoof,
Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but the depth and luster of the blue on that zilinder is ......... Just "oh boy" good.  Or .. WOW.

Now if it were just possible to do the First Model Richards at reasonable cost.

Coffinmaker
STORM #400

The Trinity Kid

No problem Hoof, I understand completely. 

--TK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com