Another question

Started by The Trinity Kid, May 28, 2013, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Trinity Kid

Hi y'all.  I've heard a myth that it's possible to seat a soft lead bullet in a cartridge without a press. (i.e. with thumb pressure)  Is there any truth at all to that?  One would assume that the bullet would not stay in the cartridge, but I'm not sure.  I'm thinking of buying a Colt Navy and a Kirst, but can't afford the factory ammo, and a bullet press costs more than I can do at the same time. Any help is appreciated

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Karl

I understand where you are going but regardless of whether your thumbs are strong enough to press a bullet into a case you will still need to de-prime and re-prime the case which is trickier without a tool.

Compared to a Kirst or R&D conversion relaoding sets are cheap.  These little Lee loaders can be found used under $20.00, new sometimes under $30.00 like on Amazon.  They are a little slow and mine occasionally sets off primers but they are a good way to learn the fundamentals of reloading. 

Check out MidwayUSA for all sorts of surprisingly affordable reloading gear.  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/397569/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-452-230-tc-45-acp-45-auto-rim-45-colt-long-colt-452-diameter-230-grain-truncated-cone

If you plan to save even more and cast your own bullets I strongly recommend splurging for at least a double cavity if not a six-cavity mold.  You will cast much faster and thank yourself later.

Check with your local gunshops for used reloading gear and brass.  I have gotten some deals from our local shop and Ebay.  Keep an eye out for a cheap (make sure it works) brass tumbler.  If you are loading black powder for a Kirst conversion your brass with get filthy.  After you de-prime and flare it wash it with an ammonia solution like Windex then dry it and tumble it until nice and bright. 

Reloading really is easy especially .45 LC in black powder. 

If you are really lucky you might find one of these old all-in-one tools from Ideal for your revolver:

-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Lefty Dude

You might try seating round balls in the 45 case, or 36 cal RB in the 38 spec cases.

Many do this, and it works fine for CAS/SASS close steel targets.

The Lee Loader will be of great advantage for the intended purpose. ;)

Coffinmaker

Take the cheap seats route.  Shoot the Navy Cap and Ball.  You don't need a loader.  It's attached to the navy barrel.  Spend a few bucks PM a set of Slixshot cones, get a bunch of Rem #10 caps, soe round balls and a battle of APP 3F and your in business.

Coffinmaker

PS:  You will however, need some form of press to load for a rifle.

The Trinity Kid

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. 
Coffinmaker: That was what I was planning until I get enough dough for the conversion (I was sweet talked into buying my mother a deer rifle in August).

Lefty: I was going to try the round ball load when I eventually get all set up, but it sounds interesting.

Karl:  I completely forgot about the smaller re-loaders, I was thinking a full size press ::)  Thanks for pointing that out. 

Next month I get paid, and buy the Navy, so I'll post back pictures of it when it comes.  Yer' all probably going to laugh, but the two things that influenced me into buying it were
A) Bottom Dealin' Mike's videos on Youtube
B) Terrance Hill in "My Name is Nobody" and "Boot's Hill."

Still waitin' to get my hands on a copy of the Trinity movies. I'll be Trinity with a Colt Navy.  I'm much cooler though, jus' cause I'm me :P

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Dick Dastardly

Yer doin' it rite Trinity.

Take it in small bites and chew well.  Shootin' Holy Black ain't no mystery, but it demands respect.

When yer ready for it, Big Lube is standing by for your needs.  Advise is free. Correct answers cost more.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Slowhand Bob

It might double your cost but I would certainly look into the little LEE Hand Press as a minimum shoestring budget starting point.  The idea being that you can buy the actual press for less than anything else out there but it will require the purchase of standard dies also AND  that is also the beauty of the idea.  A little time and patience spent on Ebay just might yield a bargain on both the press and some used LEE dies to go with it??  From a practical standpoint this set up stands over the little LEE Loader like a dollar over a penny all day long!  Another plus, you can just about fit the equivalent of an entire reloading table into a shoe box when it is built around this little press.  Throw in the LEE powder Dipper set and a hand primer, both of which will fit in that same shoe box, and you will be set to go.

Freedom

Here you go...this is a pretty sweet set-up. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/22431

I take mine to BPCR matches that last all weekend. Nice to be able to load some extra ammo at night in the camper.

To answer your question....Yes I seat my bullets with my fingers. But...these loads are for a big single shot Sharps rifle and the brass  has been fire formed and not resized. The bullets don't fall out but they can be easily pulled out.

On your pistol loads the thumb seating will not work because the recoil will dis-lodge the other bullets in the cylinder....Plus you want a tight seal to prevent the possilble chain fire that can happen with the revolver.

www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

fourfingersofdeath

That's a lot of good equipment for $50!

I started loading on Lee Loaders and still have several of them, but I have them for nostalgia's sake, nothing else.

Add a set of dies to this which will come with a powder measure/scoop (I'd also recommend buying the set of measures, they are pretty cheap and as handy as anything).

That set up will last you a lifetime and allow you to load anything. Some of the straight sided cases are a real bear on a Lee Loader, but easy on a 7/8x14 press, even a hand held one.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com