BP loads in a Open Top

Started by RWK, May 25, 2013, 10:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWK

I would like to try some BP loads in a Open Top.
I have a lot of smokeless bullets already lubed is the reason I am asking.

So can one take a smokeless pre lube boolit, or one with Lee Alox or a un lubed boolit? Loaded it in the case, then put Crisco or some other BP lube? Like a Cap and Ball and it will work ok?

Abilene

That's how I've been shooting BP in pistols for years.  I melt the lube out of the smokeless bullets and load the cartridge with no lube.  At the loading table, after loading the pistol, I have a small squeeze bottle with butter-flavored crisco and I squirt a big glob of it over the first two rounds to be fired.  Have never had a problem with it melting out, but this is for CAS, so the guns are not carried around like that.  This has worked great for me in conversions, Colt SAA's, and clones.

Pettifogger

Or, take the simple non-greasy, non-messy way out and shoot APP.

RWK

Abilene

APP is American Pioneer Powder (originally called "Cleanshot" about a dozen years ago), a BP substitute.  It gives good smoke but minimal flame and not as "boomy" as BP.  You can use regular smokeless-lubed or unlubed bullets.  Load like BP with minimal compression.  Clean like BP.

RWK

Quote from: Abilene on May 25, 2013, 02:29:43 PM
APP is American Pioneer Powder (originally called "Cleanshot" about a dozen years ago), a BP substitute.  It gives good smoke but minimal flame and not as "boomy" as BP.  You can use regular smokeless-lubed or unlubed bullets.  Load like BP with minimal compression.  Clean like BP.

I have 3 pounds of American Pioneer Powder I had for a long time.

Never opened does it go bad?

Thanks to ALL

Pettifogger

As long as the cans are unopened and still have the dessicant in them they should be fine.  They will most likely be all clumped up.  No big deal, just vigorously shake the cans until the clumps are gone.  Use regular smokeless lubed bullets and when you are done everything cleans up with plain old water.

litl rooster

I once shot some smokeless :( thru my OT's the empty brass was recycled with the proper POWDER and a big fat 200 grain bullet was placed over it. This kept all the True powder from spilling out. The smokeless ammo I didn't get emptied was bartered off for useable trappings.

I've tried APP, I don't perfer it.
Mathew 5.9

Sod Buster

Quote from: litl rooster on May 26, 2013, 01:31:46 PM
I once shot some smokeless :( thru my OT's
You are admitting to that?  ;D

Quote from: litl rooster on May 26, 2013, 01:31:46 PM
the empty brass was recycled with the proper POWDER and a big fat 200 grain bullet was placed over it.
OK, you are excused!  ;D
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Abilene

Well, ya know when Armi San Marco started making Richards conversions in 44 Colt in the '90's, nobody was making 44 Colt brass.  The ASM's had a smaller cylinder diameter than later Ubertis, and the rim on 44 Russian or cut-down 44 spcl was too big.  So Starline started making brass, but there was an agreement with Black Hills Ammo that Black Hills would get all the brass for 2 years.  So the only way to get 44 Colt brass for the first two years was to buy Black Hills smokeless ammo and then recycle the brass.  I guess if you REALLLY hated the heathen smokeless then you could have pulled the bullets and dumped the powder from those Black Hills rounds  ;D

Fox Creek Kid

Abilene, that brings back a nightmare I had with just the scenario you described!! I won some Cabela's Bucks back then and got two boxes of BHA .44 Colt ammo for the brass. I shot them in my RM conversion and got THE worst leading I have ever seen!!  :o  :'(
The forcing cone looked like an orange peel and the cylinder face was one sheet of lead!! Undersized & too hard bullets. Took me a damn week to clean out all the lead!!

Slowhand Bob

Even with all of their QC problems, I liked the style and model that ASM went with much more than the Uberti Conversions.  ASM actually started with a  cap and ball for their Richards Model Conversions.  This model placed the rear sight in the proper place before it was later decided to move it forward to the barrel.  I have handled several of these ASMs through the years and have always preferred its feel in the hand much more so than Ubertis tank approach.  There is no doubt that Uberti is to invested into their big gun conversion to change but I keep hoping that Pietta might one day do it the right way.  Starting with their already existent cap and ball pistols, make a quality line of 'Richards Conversion' Colts and chamber them for the 44 Russian cartridge.  I will let the small bore guys figure out something for the Navy model as I am not sure which minimum 38 case size would meet the smoke factor??  This should actually be a fairly low cost start-up project when 80% of the gun is already built from basic stock parts. 

Why shux Mr Pietta, I would start selling off some of my Ubertis to fund a few pairs of Pietta "Original Style" Colt Richards Conversions!  Nothing like something bold and new to git us gun guys off the wallet and buying product again....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com