What's the difference between......

Started by The Arapaho Kid, October 08, 2005, 09:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Arapaho Kid

US Scout

In very simple terms, Gunfighter means you shoot with a pistol in each hand at the same time, alternating shots.  Duelist means you shoot with one pistol in one hand, then shoot the second pistol with one hand. 

Assuming a pistol sequence of 10 rounds on 10 targets, the gunfighter would draw both pistols (safely of course), and engage the targets with both right and left hands alternately (or left and right hand alternately if the shooter chose to do it that way).  It can be tricky remembering the proper sequence, keeping both pistols pointed in a safe direction at all times, and handling a malfunction of any kind, but it is also a real hoot. 

A Duelist shooter would draw one pistol and shoot it with one hand for five shots, then draw the second pistol and shoot it with one hand for the second sequence of five shots. 

The "Double-Duelist" term frequently mentioned simply means a shooter who shoots duelist style with both right and left hands, shooting one pistol with the right hand and the second pistol with the left hand.  I personally like this "style" myself and use it most of the time.  Comes in handy when a stage is set up so that you have to shoot with your "weak" hand (which I see you've addressed in another thread).   

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: US Scout on October 08, 2005, 10:46:26 AM
In very simple terms, Gunfighter means you shoot with a pistol in each hand at the same time, alternating shots.  Duelist means you shoot with one pistol in one hand, then shoot the second pistol with one hand. 

Assuming a pistol sequence of 10 rounds on 10 targets, the gunfighter would draw both pistols (safely of course), and engage the targets with both right and left hands alternately (or left and right hand alternately if the shooter chose to do it that way).  It can be tricky remembering the proper sequence, keeping both pistols pointed in a safe direction at all times, and handling a malfunction of any kind, but it is also a real hoot. 

A Duelist shooter would draw one pistol and shoot it with one hand for five shots, then draw the second pistol and shoot it with one hand for the second sequence of five shots. 

The "Double-Duelist" term frequently mentioned simply means a shooter who shoots duelist style with both right and left hands, shooting one pistol with the right hand and the second pistol with the left hand.  I personally like this "style" myself and use it most of the time.  Comes in handy when a stage is set up so that you have to shoot with your "weak" hand (which I see you've addressed in another thread).   

Well...I shot Gunfighter in my last shoot and at no time, on any targets, did I have two guns drawn.  They gave me my choice.  Shoot left handed, or right handed.  Did the club I shot with make an error on this?

Wrangler Rich

Rap, some clubs have their own local rules.  SASS allows "Gunfighters" to have both guns drawn at the same time.  In 10 shot strings, the guns can be fired alternatley (preferred by most gunfighters) or in any order you wish. ie:   5 from left, 5 from right, much the same as you would do if you were shooting double duelist, but with both guns out at the same time.  Remember, only "Gunfighters" are allowed to have both loaded pistols out at the same time.   ;D

Gunfighters don't have a weak side.
Hiram's Ranger # 10
It's not like it used to be, but it'll do.

The Arapaho Kid

Quote from: Wrangler Rich on October 08, 2005, 11:04:04 AM
Rap, some clubs have their own local rules.  SASS allows "Gunfighters" to have both guns drawn at the same time.  In 10 shot strings, the guns can be fired alternatley (preferred by most gunfighters) or in any order you wish. ie:   5 from left, 5 from right, much the same as you would do if you were shooting double duelist, but with both guns out at the same time.  Remember, only "Gunfighters" are allowed to have both loaded pistols out at the same time.   ;D

Gunfighters don't have a weak side.

I had never shot Gunfighter before my last shoot.  When it was my turn to shoot, I asked the timer how I did this.  He said shoot left handed, or right handed.  I never asked about having both guns drawn at the same time.  Now that I understand this...it'll be Gunfighter in my next shoot.

Wes Virginian

On some stages, you will shoot one pistol, then the rifle or shotgun, then the other pistol. At that time you will be shooting the same as "double duelist", one pistol with right hand, and the other with left hand. A "Gunfighter Friendly" stage is when you get to shoot both pistol's at the same time.
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Birdgun Quail

The difference for me between gunfighter and duelest is I can shoot duelest.  If I tried to shoot gunfighter, I'd have numerous misses, procedures, and safeties.   I just ain't smart enough to shoot gunfighter!
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com