Stainless Steel Uberti Colts

Started by Fingers McGee, May 13, 2013, 07:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fingers McGee

Was the auction winner on Gunbroker the other day of a Uberti stainless steel fluted cylinder 1860 Army that was made in 1983.  Got it for a paltry $216.09.  I am one extremely happy camper.  The grips are a little bunged up; but, they're fixable or if not, can be replaced.  Here's a photo.:

Pistol was delivered today by the brown truck.  It wasn't in as good a shape as I expected.  It had been shot - and not cleaned - but, since it is stainless, it came clean real easy.  It had obviously been dry fired and played with - a lot.  Most of the safety pins on the cylinder are hammered flat and a couple of the nipples show definite mushrooming.  Even so, timing and lock-up are right on the money.  If this had been a blued gun, the barrel would have been a disaster.  Numerous scratches on the barrel, a couple of them kinda deep.  Guess I'll have to break out the buffing wheel.

Had to knock the wedge out with a brass wedge remover & hammer.  Stone all four sides of it to get it to fit better.  It's still tight; but shooting it this weekend should loosen it up some.  I did not do a complete disassembly.  Even though it had been shot and not cleaned, the action did not appear to be fouled, and it cycled just fine.

Even with all this, it is in very good shape and will be used in CAS match this coming weekend along with its brother the rebated SS Uberti 1860. 

Besides, when is the last time anyone saw - much less handled - a Stainless Steel, Uberti 1860 Army???

I'm still looking for more of these Uberti SS Colts that were imported by Allen Firearms, Santa Fe, NM; Southwest Muzzleloaders Supply, Inc. Angleton, TX, Uberti USA, and possibly others in the early to mid '80s. Phil Spangenberger did an article about these stainless revolvers in the October 1983 issue of Guns and Ammo Magazine. According to the article, the models that were being imported were the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, 1861 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, and 1862 Pocket police. Thanks to Dr. J.L. Davis of RPRCA, Claremore, OK, I have a 1984 price list for Uberti products that lists fourteen different models of Stainless Steel Colts produced by Uberti at that time. Subsequent price lists expanded the line to 16 models by adding 4 ½ inch barreled Pocket Navy and Pocket Police. The complete model list, known so far, is:

1851 Navy, Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1851 Navy Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy "Sheriff's Model" Oval Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1851 Navy "Sheriff's Model" Squareback Triggerguard Revolver, Cal. .36
1860 Army Military, Cut For Stock, Cal. .44 *
1860 Army Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .44*
1861 Navy Military, Cut For Stock, Revolver, Cal. .36 *
1861 Navy Civilian, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Military, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1861 Navy Civilian, With Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½"
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½"*
1862 Police, Semi-Fluted Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½"
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 4 ½"*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 5 ½"*
1862 Pocket Navy, Engraved Cylinder, Revolver, Cal. .36, Barrel 6 ½"
(* - have identified location of examples of these models)

Anyone that knows the whereabouts of any of these, please contact me.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Abilene

Way to go Fingers!  Now you can cross that one off your list.  At the rate you are procuring them, you're gonna be a really old guy when you get them all  :D  Just need to find someone who has a collection of them and needs some money.

The only one I've ever seen was a '60 or '61 at a gunshow about 15 years ago.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Abilene on May 13, 2013, 07:21:43 PM
Way to go Fingers!  Now you can cross that one off your list.  At the rate you are procuring them, you're gonna be a really old guy when you get them all  :D  Just need to find someone who has a collection of them and needs some money.

The only one I've ever seen was a '60 or '61 at a gunshow about 15 years ago.

At the rate I'm going, I'll be well into my 80s or 90s by the time I get one of each.  Have three of the 16 right now
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Pettifogger

Wow, $216.00 for a stainless Uberti is fantastic!!!  I bid on several a couple of years ago but gave up because they all went north of $600.00.

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Pettifogger on May 13, 2013, 11:18:29 PM
Wow, $216.00 for a stainless Uberti is fantastic!!!  I bid on several a couple of years ago but gave up because they all went north of $600.00.

I probably was bidding on the same ones.  When they went over $500 I bailed on a couple

Hoof Hearted

That would look real nice with a polished (in the white) Thuer in it ;)
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 15, 2013, 10:01:26 PM
That would look real nice with a polished (in the white) Thuer in it ;)

That's the one I'm sending you next week instead of the rebated cylinder model.  Going to shoot them both this weekend in a CAS match & after I clean them up, send you the fluted one.

Wild_Willie

I saw that on Gunbroker!  I was gonna bid, but lost track of the ending time with work getting hectic!

I loved the sellers description: "This is a very nice gun that looks like polished steel not nickel plating. "

They didn't know what they had!  :o

Good catch & glad it went to someone who was on the prowl for it!  

I was a bit upset  :( when I lost track of bidding on it, but now I am super happy that you got it AND that I wasn't bidding against you!!  ;D

All the best!

Will

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Wild_Willie on May 18, 2013, 10:20:30 AM
I saw that on Gunbroker!  I was gonna bid, but lost track of the ending time with work getting hectic!

I loved the sellers description: "This is a very nice gun that looks like polished steel not nickel plating. "

They didn't know what they had!  :o

Good catch & glad it went to someone who was on the prowl for it!  

I was a bit upset  :( when I lost track of bidding on it, but now I am super happy that you got it AND that I wasn't bidding against you!!  ;D

All the best!

Will

Thanks Willie, 

I was prepared to go considerably higher if necessary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com